Blog: Coors boss learns a hard lesson
Olly Wehring | 29 August 2006
Pete Coors, chairman of US beer giant Coors Brewing, faces the indignity of lessons on alcohol education after reportedly pleading guilty last week to driving while impaired.
His plea - which is believed to have been against the advice of his lawyer - follows his arrest on drink-driving charges in May.
Mr. Coors faces 24 hours of community service and the uncomfortable prospect of sitting on a panel sponsored by Mothers Against Drunk Driving, a US activist group that lobbies hard to stop what it calls “the violent crime” of drunk driving.
He is reported to have pleaded guilty to driving while impaired to spare any further embarrassment to him and his company.
Just last month, Mr. Coors seemed intent on prolonging the embarrassment when he pleaded his innocence to charges under the influence.
The stance seemed all the more confusing when he very publicly admitted that he had “made a mistake” when he drove himself home after leaving a friend’s wedding reception. Both parties will be hopeful the move draws the whole sorry episode to a close.
Some people in India believe alcohol should be more difficult to purchase. Last month, the state of Bihar halted all alcohol sales as its chief minister made good on an election promise. ...
Greetings from Zurich. Here as a guest of Heineken's Amstel brand, I'm due to sit down later today with the group's senior global director for international brands, Walter Drenth....
Drinks companies spend a lot of money on trying to predict trends. At last night's Worshipful Company of Distillers City debate, any strategists in the audience got a bit of forecasting for free....
I'll admit to being partial to an Aperol Spritz now and again, more usually in the summer months, sitting outside, shades on, slowly turning more golden/rusty....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Category Innovations - Scotch Whisky VII
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- AB InBev unveils Stella Artois three-packs
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China