Blog: Coors boss learns a hard lesson
Olly Wehring | 29 August 2006
Pete Coors, chairman of US beer giant Coors Brewing, faces the indignity of lessons on alcohol education after reportedly pleading guilty last week to driving while impaired.
His plea - which is believed to have been against the advice of his lawyer - follows his arrest on drink-driving charges in May.
Mr. Coors faces 24 hours of community service and the uncomfortable prospect of sitting on a panel sponsored by Mothers Against Drunk Driving, a US activist group that lobbies hard to stop what it calls “the violent crime” of drunk driving.
He is reported to have pleaded guilty to driving while impaired to spare any further embarrassment to him and his company.
Just last month, Mr. Coors seemed intent on prolonging the embarrassment when he pleaded his innocence to charges under the influence.
The stance seemed all the more confusing when he very publicly admitted that he had “made a mistake” when he drove himself home after leaving a friend’s wedding reception. Both parties will be hopeful the move draws the whole sorry episode to a close.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Heineken goes from strength to strength - Analysis
- Treasury Wine Estates CEO - Interview Pt II
- Treasury Wine Estates CEO - Interview Pt I
- The just-drinks Analyst
- Heineken FY 2016 by region - results data
- Rum braced for falling volumes in years ahead
- Non-alcoholic Heineken set to hit Europe - CEO
- Beam Suntory boosts top-line in 2016 - results
- Molson Coors targets cost-savings - FY16 results
- Molson Coors hit by US$500m write-down in Canada
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends