Blog: Consumers wanting more and more for less and less
Olly Wehring | 13 February 2007
This has been a cosmopolitan few days on these blog pages. Only a few postings ago we were inspired by ideas from our sister site just-auto. Now, a couple of stories posted on just-food.com, and a follow up call from a BBC journalist, has sparked a debate on our news desks today (13 February).
The stories both concern food safety. The first concerns bird flu and its connections to UK poultry group Bernard Mathews. The second is the news that Cadbury is once more embroiled in a recall, this time of Easter eggs following a labelling error that could affect people with nut allergies.
The call from the BBC was to ask us to partake in a debate this afternoon on the World Service. The journalist wanted to know if we believed the demand for cheap food imports make health scares more likely because of poorer safety controls and standards.
Are we asking too much from our food and drink importers and producers? There is an insatiable demand in the UK and across much of Europe for cheaper and cheaper food and drink products. At the same time we are expecting ever more stringent rules on health and safety. Are the two trends compatible with each other, or, in the end, is something bound to give?
Alcohol always has a big presence at the Oscars, albeit mostly in a supporting role....
Business is booming at copper pot still makers Chalvignac - you can tell from the loud noise coming from its factory floor in the French town of Jarnac-Champagne. ...
Heineken is betting big on the long-term opportunity around soccer in the US. ...
California's Sierra Nevada Brewing Co is very proud of its new Hop Hunter IPA, which contains hop oil. ...
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- Mike’s Hard Lemonade Could Be a Hard Sell
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q4 & FY
- Focus - Suntory Holdings' FY Performance
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo adds Dubai to Johnnie Walker skyline series
- Asahi Beverages CEO to step down - report
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report