Blog: Consumers wanting more and more for less and less
Olly Wehring | 13 February 2007
This has been a cosmopolitan few days on these blog pages. Only a few postings ago we were inspired by ideas from our sister site just-auto. Now, a couple of stories posted on just-food.com, and a follow up call from a BBC journalist, has sparked a debate on our news desks today (13 February).
The stories both concern food safety. The first concerns bird flu and its connections to UK poultry group Bernard Mathews. The second is the news that Cadbury is once more embroiled in a recall, this time of Easter eggs following a labelling error that could affect people with nut allergies.
The call from the BBC was to ask us to partake in a debate this afternoon on the World Service. The journalist wanted to know if we believed the demand for cheap food imports make health scares more likely because of poorer safety controls and standards.
Are we asking too much from our food and drink importers and producers? There is an insatiable demand in the UK and across much of Europe for cheaper and cheaper food and drink products. At the same time we are expecting ever more stringent rules on health and safety. Are the two trends compatible with each other, or, in the end, is something bound to give?
just-drinks is in Berlin this week for Bar Convent Berlin. Here's the second and final part of Andy Morton's blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of Europe's most important dates in the alcohol...
just-drinks is in Berlin this week for Bar Convent Berlin. Here's the first part of Andy Morton's daily blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of Europe's most important dates in the alcohol indu...
Responding to criticism on social media is tough. You've got to engage the consumer without starting an argument and - ideally - get them on side....
Want to know how The Coca-Cola Co-backed Keurig Kold - released in the US yesterday - works?...
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Making consumers the centre of your business
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Former Pernod Ricard exec joins Wakefield Wines
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research