Blog: Consumers wanting more and more for less and less
Olly Wehring | 13 February 2007
This has been a cosmopolitan few days on these blog pages. Only a few postings ago we were inspired by ideas from our sister site just-auto. Now, a couple of stories posted on just-food.com, and a follow up call from a BBC journalist, has sparked a debate on our news desks today (13 February).
The stories both concern food safety. The first concerns bird flu and its connections to UK poultry group Bernard Mathews. The second is the news that Cadbury is once more embroiled in a recall, this time of Easter eggs following a labelling error that could affect people with nut allergies.
The call from the BBC was to ask us to partake in a debate this afternoon on the World Service. The journalist wanted to know if we believed the demand for cheap food imports make health scares more likely because of poorer safety controls and standards.
Are we asking too much from our food and drink importers and producers? There is an insatiable demand in the UK and across much of Europe for cheaper and cheaper food and drink products. At the same time we are expecting ever more stringent rules on health and safety. Are the two trends compatible with each other, or, in the end, is something bound to give?
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part II
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- Heineken's new range foreshadows craft's future
- Gruppo Campari Q4 & FY 2016 results - Preview
- Will fat-blocking products save the day for CSDs?
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Heineken hit by Greek compensation claim
- Bacardi takes stake in Ilegal Mezcal
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends