Blog: Constellation, Modelo retake vows
Chris Mercer | 29 October 2010
Constellation Brands and Grupo Modelo have kissed and made up, so it looks like Crown Imports will be sticking around.
Constellation and Modelo said today that they have settled their legal dispute over marketing funds for the Crown Imports beer venture in the US. The 50-50 venture imports Modelo's Corona lager among others.
It looked as if the venture might be coming to a premature end (it runs until 2016) when Modelo signalled that it would sue its partner at the end of 2009. But, today, everyone is back in bed.
Constellation has repeatedly called the dispute "financially immaterial" and it looks as though the two firms will, afterall, continue to work together.
The most likely alternative for Modelo, assuming it could have afforded the Crown Imports cancellation fees, would have been a deal with Anheuser-Busch InBev. The Budweiser brewer holds a 50% non-controlling stake in Modelo.
However, Modelo's controlling families don't have a lot of love for A-B InBev, as they proved in the UK recently by snubbing the group in favour of rival Molson Coors.
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
A bit of football fun for a Friday. Anheuser-Busch InBev has released the ad that will accompany its new Budweiser 'Dream Goal' campaign, that seeks to find the UK's best amateur goal. ...
No sooner had Anheuser-Busch InBev taken a gentle pop at the craft beer segment during February's Super Bowl, than the world's largest brewer has challenged the sub-category's target market in New Yor...
A few wry grins will have been raised in the offices of Dr Pepper Snapple Group today. ...
- Diageo's Labels Give Industry Something to Digest
- Comment - Diageo Spins the Guinness Wheel... Again
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Pernod takes positives from China Cognac bounce
- Craft is an 'abused' term - Pernod Ricard exec
- Diageo lines up UK innovations push
- SPI Group 'disappointed' over Stolichnaya ruling
- Kraft Foods agrees Heinz merger
- Heineken unveils global Desperados push
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly
- Beer Market Insights Africa 2014
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets