Blog: Constellation, Modelo retake vows
Chris Mercer | 29 October 2010
Constellation Brands and Grupo Modelo have kissed and made up, so it looks like Crown Imports will be sticking around.
Constellation and Modelo said today that they have settled their legal dispute over marketing funds for the Crown Imports beer venture in the US. The 50-50 venture imports Modelo's Corona lager among others.
It looked as if the venture might be coming to a premature end (it runs until 2016) when Modelo signalled that it would sue its partner at the end of 2009. But, today, everyone is back in bed.
Constellation has repeatedly called the dispute "financially immaterial" and it looks as though the two firms will, afterall, continue to work together.
The most likely alternative for Modelo, assuming it could have afforded the Crown Imports cancellation fees, would have been a deal with Anheuser-Busch InBev. The Budweiser brewer holds a 50% non-controlling stake in Modelo.
However, Modelo's controlling families don't have a lot of love for A-B InBev, as they proved in the UK recently by snubbing the group in favour of rival Molson Coors.
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends