Blog: Constellation, Modelo retake vows
Chris Mercer | 29 October 2010
Constellation Brands and Grupo Modelo have kissed and made up, so it looks like Crown Imports will be sticking around.
Constellation and Modelo said today that they have settled their legal dispute over marketing funds for the Crown Imports beer venture in the US. The 50-50 venture imports Modelo's Corona lager among others.
It looked as if the venture might be coming to a premature end (it runs until 2016) when Modelo signalled that it would sue its partner at the end of 2009. But, today, everyone is back in bed.
Constellation has repeatedly called the dispute "financially immaterial" and it looks as though the two firms will, afterall, continue to work together.
The most likely alternative for Modelo, assuming it could have afforded the Crown Imports cancellation fees, would have been a deal with Anheuser-Busch InBev. The Budweiser brewer holds a 50% non-controlling stake in Modelo.
However, Modelo's controlling families don't have a lot of love for A-B InBev, as they proved in the UK recently by snubbing the group in favour of rival Molson Coors.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- AB InBev fund ZX Ventures buys homebrew co
- Edrington’s The Macallan 40 Year Old - NPD
- CCBA partner "in place by 2018" - Coca-Cola
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends