Blog: Constellation, Modelo retake vows
Chris Mercer | 29 October 2010
Constellation Brands and Grupo Modelo have kissed and made up, so it looks like Crown Imports will be sticking around.
Constellation and Modelo said today that they have settled their legal dispute over marketing funds for the Crown Imports beer venture in the US. The 50-50 venture imports Modelo's Corona lager among others.
It looked as if the venture might be coming to a premature end (it runs until 2016) when Modelo signalled that it would sue its partner at the end of 2009. But, today, everyone is back in bed.
Constellation has repeatedly called the dispute "financially immaterial" and it looks as though the two firms will, afterall, continue to work together.
The most likely alternative for Modelo, assuming it could have afforded the Crown Imports cancellation fees, would have been a deal with Anheuser-Busch InBev. The Budweiser brewer holds a 50% non-controlling stake in Modelo.
However, Modelo's controlling families don't have a lot of love for A-B InBev, as they proved in the UK recently by snubbing the group in favour of rival Molson Coors.
Here in London, the second Wine Week has kicked off to coincide with UK wine trade event London Wine Fair. ...
Commuting in London is a drag. It’s overcrowded, sweaty and rarely goes to plan. In fact, it’s enough to turn a person to drink....
When it comes to market speculation, a company holds the prerogative to comment or not. Most times it is the latter, but we journalists are always grateful for any quote that we can get....
Carlsberg's Russian unit may be grinding down the gears, but its UK marketing team is proving to be no slouches. ...
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Comment - Beer - Does 'Craft' Work?
- Solving the diet drinks dilemma in the US
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- SABMiller, Meantime Brewing say goodbye to 'craft'
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo opens Johnnie Walker House in Singapore
- Emperador overhauls Whyte & Mackay labels
- SPI Group US, Canada sales chief departs
- Soaring Prosecco sales good for Champagne
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer