Blog: Constellation Brands' great wine giveaway
Chris Mercer | 23 December 2010
Has Constellation Brands just ditched Hardys and a whole array of other wine operations for a fraction of the price it paid for them? That certainly looks to be what has happened today.
It looks like Christmas has come early for CHAMP, the private equity company that is to pick up 80% of Constellation's Australian, South African and UK wine operations for just AUD290m (US$290.8m). Constellation said that the deal included "virtually all" of its Australian wine business, so it is hard to see how the deal would not include Hardys, which is, afterall, virtually all of its Australian wine business.
Here, then, comes the 'ouch' moment. Constellation paid a whopping AUD1.85bn to acquire BRL Hardy in early 2003. Yes, you read that right.
It looks like the business is now being sold off at the sort of deep discount price that you might expect to find many Australian wines sold for in UK supermarkets. If that is the case, executives at Foster's Group must be looking on in horror.
We have so far been unable to contact Constellation to obtain more detail on the sale, but we'll keep you posted.
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Brown-Forman's H1 performance by region, brand
- Coca-Cola CEO Muhtar Kent set to stand down
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Brown-Forman's barrel sales take Scotch hit
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Angostura places CEO on administrative leave
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends