Blog: Constellation Brands' great wine giveaway
Chris Mercer | 23 December 2010
Has Constellation Brands just ditched Hardys and a whole array of other wine operations for a fraction of the price it paid for them? That certainly looks to be what has happened today.
It looks like Christmas has come early for CHAMP, the private equity company that is to pick up 80% of Constellation's Australian, South African and UK wine operations for just AUD290m (US$290.8m). Constellation said that the deal included "virtually all" of its Australian wine business, so it is hard to see how the deal would not include Hardys, which is, afterall, virtually all of its Australian wine business.
Here, then, comes the 'ouch' moment. Constellation paid a whopping AUD1.85bn to acquire BRL Hardy in early 2003. Yes, you read that right.
It looks like the business is now being sold off at the sort of deep discount price that you might expect to find many Australian wines sold for in UK supermarkets. If that is the case, executives at Foster's Group must be looking on in horror.
We have so far been unable to contact Constellation to obtain more detail on the sale, but we'll keep you posted.
To support the release of its latest report, entitled ‘The Economic Impact of Scotch Whisky Production in the UK’, trade body The Scotch Whisky Association has released this video, highlighting the si...
The Coca-Cola Co is in the middle of a major restructuring plan, affecting jobs around the world. The company is also downsizing its packaging....
One, perhaps minor, consequence of the conflict in Ukraine appears to be a fall in sales of Russian vodka in the country....
Diageo has jumped onboard Google's latest interactive maps and is opening up the virtual doors to four of its distilleries. ...
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages