Blog: Constellation Brands' great wine giveaway
Chris Mercer | 23 December 2010
Has Constellation Brands just ditched Hardys and a whole array of other wine operations for a fraction of the price it paid for them? That certainly looks to be what has happened today.
It looks like Christmas has come early for CHAMP, the private equity company that is to pick up 80% of Constellation's Australian, South African and UK wine operations for just AUD290m (US$290.8m). Constellation said that the deal included "virtually all" of its Australian wine business, so it is hard to see how the deal would not include Hardys, which is, afterall, virtually all of its Australian wine business.
Here, then, comes the 'ouch' moment. Constellation paid a whopping AUD1.85bn to acquire BRL Hardy in early 2003. Yes, you read that right.
It looks like the business is now being sold off at the sort of deep discount price that you might expect to find many Australian wines sold for in UK supermarkets. If that is the case, executives at Foster's Group must be looking on in horror.
We have so far been unable to contact Constellation to obtain more detail on the sale, but we'll keep you posted.
A couple of months ago, US-based Saltwater Brewery developed 'edible six-pack rings' in an effort to curb threats to wildlife....
Last month, SPI Group unveiled its latest advert for Stolichnaya in the US. Its an amusing little number that caries the instruction: Drink what you want. The “I am man” ad looks to distance Millennia...
Who do you work for? I ask, merely to draw your attention to just-drinks’ company pages....
This weekend sees yet another “International Day” for a drinks category. Lucky us. Anyway, ahead of Sunday’s International Cachaça Day, here’s a wealth of information on Brazil’s national spirit, cour...
- Diageo's Q4/FY 2016 results - Preview
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Wine consumption and its health effects
- The Coca-Cola Co's Q2/H1 2016 results - Preview
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- Diageo names new TR head as Doug Bagley exits
- AB InBev seeks single buyer for European beers
- Gruppo Campari trials Negroni pre-mix
- Scotch drop hits Edrington as FY profits fall
- AB InBev raises SAB cash offer by GBP1 per share
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends