Blog: Constellation Brands' great wine giveaway
Chris Mercer | 23 December 2010
Has Constellation Brands just ditched Hardys and a whole array of other wine operations for a fraction of the price it paid for them? That certainly looks to be what has happened today.
It looks like Christmas has come early for CHAMP, the private equity company that is to pick up 80% of Constellation's Australian, South African and UK wine operations for just AUD290m (US$290.8m). Constellation said that the deal included "virtually all" of its Australian wine business, so it is hard to see how the deal would not include Hardys, which is, afterall, virtually all of its Australian wine business.
Here, then, comes the 'ouch' moment. Constellation paid a whopping AUD1.85bn to acquire BRL Hardy in early 2003. Yes, you read that right.
It looks like the business is now being sold off at the sort of deep discount price that you might expect to find many Australian wines sold for in UK supermarkets. If that is the case, executives at Foster's Group must be looking on in horror.
We have so far been unable to contact Constellation to obtain more detail on the sale, but we'll keep you posted.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part II
- Heineken's new range foreshadows craft's future
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- Gruppo Campari Q4 & FY 2016 results - Preview
- Will fat-blocking products save the day for CSDs?
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Heineken hit by Greek compensation claim
- Bacardi takes stake in Ilegal Mezcal
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends