Blog: Consolidation - it's catching
Chris Brook-Carter | 22 June 2005
As the shadow of Pernod, Allied, Diageo, Fortune and almost every other spirits company in the World fades on the drinks industry, it’s with both joy and relief that the soft drinks and beer companies have kicked in with some news worthy of the front page.
Reports over the weekend have suggested that a private equity company, KKR, is planning to buy Cadbury Schweppes’ soft drinks business and merge it with Britvic, which it also intends to snap up. At the same time, the rumour mill has cranked up a gear in the long-running saga over Colombian brewer Bavaria, with SABMiller and Heineken supposedly leading the field.
While Britvic has dismissed the rumours, and SABMiller and Heineken remain tight-lipped, there’s nothing like a bout of tongue-wagging to get reporters scrabbling over each other. All the more so when both sectors have been so quiet of late, the soft drinks industry in particular.
So, while the Cadbury Schweppes and Britvic story might drag on for a while and, as one source told just-drinks, “the Bavaria situation is more likely to be settled over months than weeks,” we here at just-drinks welcome you all back to the gossip pages.
Long may it continue.
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
- Is Irish whiskey ready to recognise its potential?
- Interview - Bernstein analyst Trevor Stirling
- Cannabis – A clear and present danger to alcohol
- The European beer market - Focus
- Trump, local spirits and the IR role - The Analyst
- Diageo appoints first programmatic marketing head
- Diageo strike threat postponed with fresh vote
- Bacardi names new global communications head
- Remy snaps up Seattle's Westland Distillery
- Diageo reaches deal in Stitzel legal row