Blog: Consolidation - it's catching
Chris Brook-Carter | 22 June 2005
As the shadow of Pernod, Allied, Diageo, Fortune and almost every other spirits company in the World fades on the drinks industry, it’s with both joy and relief that the soft drinks and beer companies have kicked in with some news worthy of the front page.
Reports over the weekend have suggested that a private equity company, KKR, is planning to buy Cadbury Schweppes’ soft drinks business and merge it with Britvic, which it also intends to snap up. At the same time, the rumour mill has cranked up a gear in the long-running saga over Colombian brewer Bavaria, with SABMiller and Heineken supposedly leading the field.
While Britvic has dismissed the rumours, and SABMiller and Heineken remain tight-lipped, there’s nothing like a bout of tongue-wagging to get reporters scrabbling over each other. All the more so when both sectors have been so quiet of late, the soft drinks industry in particular.
So, while the Cadbury Schweppes and Britvic story might drag on for a while and, as one source told just-drinks, “the Bavaria situation is more likely to be settled over months than weeks,” we here at just-drinks welcome you all back to the gossip pages.
Long may it continue.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Analysts upbeat on Pernod Ricard's US success
- Bacardi rolls out new Oakheart rum packs to US
- Seedlip eyes global growth with export deal
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- Beam Suntory workers end Jim Beam strike
- Boston Beer Co outlines Samuel Adams innovation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends