Blog: Consolidation - it's catching
Chris Brook-Carter | 22 June 2005
As the shadow of Pernod, Allied, Diageo, Fortune and almost every other spirits company in the World fades on the drinks industry, it’s with both joy and relief that the soft drinks and beer companies have kicked in with some news worthy of the front page.
Reports over the weekend have suggested that a private equity company, KKR, is planning to buy Cadbury Schweppes’ soft drinks business and merge it with Britvic, which it also intends to snap up. At the same time, the rumour mill has cranked up a gear in the long-running saga over Colombian brewer Bavaria, with SABMiller and Heineken supposedly leading the field.
While Britvic has dismissed the rumours, and SABMiller and Heineken remain tight-lipped, there’s nothing like a bout of tongue-wagging to get reporters scrabbling over each other. All the more so when both sectors have been so quiet of late, the soft drinks industry in particular.
So, while the Cadbury Schweppes and Britvic story might drag on for a while and, as one source told just-drinks, “the Bavaria situation is more likely to be settled over months than weeks,” we here at just-drinks welcome you all back to the gossip pages.
Long may it continue.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Fruit-flavoured beer? Think of the kids - Comment
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Drinks industry's gender failure - Consumer Trends
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Anheuser-Busch readies US executive switches
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Asahi’s Peroni Ambra - NPD
- Irish whiskey hails bid to relax distillery sales
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends