Blog: Consolidation - it's catching
Chris Brook-Carter | 22 June 2005
As the shadow of Pernod, Allied, Diageo, Fortune and almost every other spirits company in the World fades on the drinks industry, it’s with both joy and relief that the soft drinks and beer companies have kicked in with some news worthy of the front page.
Reports over the weekend have suggested that a private equity company, KKR, is planning to buy Cadbury Schweppes’ soft drinks business and merge it with Britvic, which it also intends to snap up. At the same time, the rumour mill has cranked up a gear in the long-running saga over Colombian brewer Bavaria, with SABMiller and Heineken supposedly leading the field.
While Britvic has dismissed the rumours, and SABMiller and Heineken remain tight-lipped, there’s nothing like a bout of tongue-wagging to get reporters scrabbling over each other. All the more so when both sectors have been so quiet of late, the soft drinks industry in particular.
So, while the Cadbury Schweppes and Britvic story might drag on for a while and, as one source told just-drinks, “the Bavaria situation is more likely to be settled over months than weeks,” we here at just-drinks welcome you all back to the gossip pages.
Long may it continue.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Signs of life in Japan's beer market - Comment
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends