Blog: Confusion reigns on UK alcohol policy
Chris Mercer | 13 August 2010
The UK Coalition Government's attitude towards alcohol appears confused.
Prime Minister David Cameron this week said that he would look "very sympathetically" on a plan by authorities in Manchester to introduce a minimum price on alcohol in the city.
Yet, for weeks now, we have been told that the Government is not interested in minimum pricing. It does, however, want to curb supply and sales of drinks by banning below-cost sales at retail. There is a consultation on what 'below-cost' means and there is also one underway on the licensing laws.
A Home Office spokesperson told me today that minimum pricing is still not very interesting to the Government. If that is the case, then why is David Cameron listening "sympathetically" to Manchester councils?
Ministers have declared their support for more decisions to be made at a local level. But, this could easily cause a jumble in terms of policy.
The Government began its term by setting out a reasonably clear stall on alcohol, but has since set about muddying the waters - which could suggest either a lack of cohesive planning or divisions in the Coalition.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research