Blog: Confusion reigns on UK alcohol policy
Chris Mercer | 13 August 2010
The UK Coalition Government's attitude towards alcohol appears confused.
Prime Minister David Cameron this week said that he would look "very sympathetically" on a plan by authorities in Manchester to introduce a minimum price on alcohol in the city.
Yet, for weeks now, we have been told that the Government is not interested in minimum pricing. It does, however, want to curb supply and sales of drinks by banning below-cost sales at retail. There is a consultation on what 'below-cost' means and there is also one underway on the licensing laws.
A Home Office spokesperson told me today that minimum pricing is still not very interesting to the Government. If that is the case, then why is David Cameron listening "sympathetically" to Manchester councils?
Ministers have declared their support for more decisions to be made at a local level. But, this could easily cause a jumble in terms of policy.
The Government began its term by setting out a reasonably clear stall on alcohol, but has since set about muddying the waters - which could suggest either a lack of cohesive planning or divisions in the Coalition.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview, Philip Gregan, New Zealand Winegrowers
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Remy Cointreau sets up whisky division
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits