Blog: Compensation for every Coca-Cola drinking Muslim?
Michelle Russell | 22 February 2011
As if it wasn't bad enough for The Coca-Cola Co that the closely-guarded secret recipe for its flagship brand was revealed last week, the company is now being sued over the discovery that the soft drink purportedly contains alcohol.
According to Israel Business Arena, an Israeli Muslim has filed a NIS1.2bn (US$332.8m) class action suit against Israeli Coca-Cola franchisee The Central Bottling Co for compensation for "mental anguish and infringing the independent choices of the individual".
The recipe, it seems, contains 8oz or "1 qtr" of alcohol, and given that alcohol is forbidden by Islam law, the claimant believes he has been "unwittingly drinking alcohol for years". Subsequently, the class action suit is seeking NIS1,000 for each of the 1.2m Muslims living in Israel.
Given that The Coca-Cola Co has denied the recipe is the same as the one for its cola beverage, which is kept in an Atlanta bank vault, the claimant might want to try cracking that one first.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- AB InBev fund ZX Ventures buys homebrew co
- Edrington’s The Macallan 40 Year Old - NPD
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends