Blog: Coming to you live from LIWSF III
Olly Wehring | 17 May 2006
Midway through day two (of three) here at ExCel, and the lack of hangovers on the floor is really quite refreshing – if those ‘drink responsibly’ tags can work on drinks executives… One ugly moment last night at the nearest bar, however, when someone had to be manhandled outside by two bouncers, however, suggests that the message hasn’t got through to everyone.
The good news is that the air conditioning has kicked in after yesterday’s sweat-fest. Apparently the main unit was hit by a lorry prior to the show – a lorry with Bordeaux number plates, I’ll wager.
Today’s highlights for us include a chat with the general manager of Argentina’s largest wine producer, Grupo Peñaflor. Jorge Arpi’s optimistic comments are in keeping with his compadres whom I met last month (did I mention I went to Argentina in April?). As for his frank comments on the global consolidation that, so far, has passed his home country by, well, you’ll just have to wait for my management briefing in July.
Meanwhile, I’ve stayed off the booze and plumped for what one attendee has described as “the Champagne of sparkling water” from Voss – a brutal plug, I know, but a man’s got to drink something.
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring PepsiCo and Coca-Cola Co, Castel, Molson Coors and the cachaca sector....
There was a big focus on supermarkets and their Scotch offerings this week when a couple of own-brand malts scooped top awards at the International Wines and Spirits Competition (IWSC)....
You can't seem to move at the moment for news of US craft brewers expanding....
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring Coca-Cola Life, Australian Vintage, Pernod Ricard and BrewDog....
- just The Preview - Diageo's FY preliminaries
- Analysis - SABMiller's Australian issues continue
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's H1 & Q2
- Focus - SABMiller's Q1 Performance by Region
- NPD: Alcohol Beverage “Mash-Ups” Fuel Innovation
- Diageo silent over Shuijingfang writedown report
- Sales, profits fall at Moet Hennessy in H1
- Britvic promotes GB marketing head to global post
- Molson Coors CEO to retire
- Diageo's Captain Morgan Facebook ad banned