Blog: Coke Life threatens Coca-Cola's united front
Andy Morton | 19 January 2016
It is a bold attempt to regain a measure of control in the ever-spiraling debate about sugar. But will The Coca-Cola Co's new marketing strategy - which ties all of the Coke family of brands together - have the desired effect?
One potential weak spot is Coca-Cola Life. While regular Coke and Diet Coke are some of the strongest brands in history, the green-livered, stevia-sweetened Coke Life was only launched in 2013, and has yet to have a full global roll-out. Since that launch, there has been talk that it hasn't performed as well as expected, and certainly not as well as Coca-Cola's other relative newcomer Coke Zero, which was launched in 2005.
At the weekend, IRI figures for Coke life sales in the UK - 16 months on from its rollout in the country - suggest that performance is weakening.
In November last year, according to IRI data seen by just-drinks, sales were GBP1.1m, less than half of sales for the same month the previous year (GBP2.6m). The figures also said that year-on-year sales were worse for every month in 2015, except for April and May.
If this trend is repeated in other markets, it will greatly worry Coca-Cola. The company is putting up a united front with its new marketing angle. Coke Life can't afford to let the side down.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Recent research by Euromonitor International into the health & wellness trend in soft drinks shows that the description of 'natural' is very much a self-governed practice: There is not yet any conclus...
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Drinks industry's gender failure - Consumer Trends
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Fruit-flavoured beer? Think of the kids - Comment
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Gallo's vineyard footprint in California - The map
- Anheuser-Busch readies US executive switches
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Asahi’s Peroni Ambra - NPD
- Irish whiskey hails bid to relax distillery sales
- Heineken snaps up Stellenbrau craft brewery
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends