Blog: Coke inadvertently gives unsigned band limelight
Olly Wehring | 4 January 2007
One wonders whether 7 Seconds Of Love, an unsigned pop group from London, may one day thank Coca-Cola de Argentina for allegedly copying a video and tune for the band’s song Ninja, which features a Ninja Kitten.
The band has enjoyed coverage of its plagiarism claim from Sky News, Washington Post, CNN, the Sydney Morning Herald, and today on just-drinks.com.
It is questionable whether they would have gained such a platform had Coke realised the similarities and signed some kind of copyright deal.
For this reason 7 Seconds are not overly bitter about the crossover with their song, which starts: “I’m gonna flip out like a ninja, cause that’s what ninjas do. I’m gonna flip out like a ninja, and you should flip out too.” In fact, a banner on their website reads: “7 SECONDS OF LOVE IN GLOBAL MEDIA COKE FRENZY!!”
The band says they are considering suing Coke for copyright infringement, but this is doubtful for financial reasons. Coke has denied knowingly copying the animated video, having left it in the hands of an Argentinean advertising agency.
Check it out for yourself below - the link to Coke's advert, meanwhile, has mysteriously ceased to function this afternoon...
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Paddy Irish whiskey - The Facts
- Is the wine industry confusing its consumers?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Pernod Ricard to widen Our/Vodka sales reach
- Remy Cointreau names new Travel Retail exec
- Leonardo DiCaprio joins Runa drinks board
- Pernod in talks to sell Paddy whiskey to Sazerac
- AB InBev to sell SABMiller Cent'l, E Europe assets
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carbonates in India
- Consumer and Market Insights: Spirits Market in the US