Blog: Coke inadvertently gives unsigned band limelight
Olly Wehring | 4 January 2007
One wonders whether 7 Seconds Of Love, an unsigned pop group from London, may one day thank Coca-Cola de Argentina for allegedly copying a video and tune for the band’s song Ninja, which features a Ninja Kitten.
The band has enjoyed coverage of its plagiarism claim from Sky News, Washington Post, CNN, the Sydney Morning Herald, and today on just-drinks.com.
It is questionable whether they would have gained such a platform had Coke realised the similarities and signed some kind of copyright deal.
For this reason 7 Seconds are not overly bitter about the crossover with their song, which starts: “I’m gonna flip out like a ninja, cause that’s what ninjas do. I’m gonna flip out like a ninja, and you should flip out too.” In fact, a banner on their website reads: “7 SECONDS OF LOVE IN GLOBAL MEDIA COKE FRENZY!!”
The band says they are considering suing Coke for copyright infringement, but this is doubtful for financial reasons. Coke has denied knowingly copying the animated video, having left it in the hands of an Argentinean advertising agency.
Check it out for yourself below - the link to Coke's advert, meanwhile, has mysteriously ceased to function this afternoon...
just-drinks is in Berlin this week for Bar Convent Berlin. Here's the second and final part of Andy Morton's blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of Europe's most important dates in the alcohol...
just-drinks is in Berlin this week for Bar Convent Berlin. Here's the first part of Andy Morton's daily blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of Europe's most important dates in the alcohol indu...
Responding to criticism on social media is tough. You've got to engage the consumer without starting an argument and - ideally - get them on side....
Want to know how The Coca-Cola Co-backed Keurig Kold - released in the US yesterday - works?...
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Making consumers the centre of your business
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Diageo makes US$780.5m beer deal with Heineken
- SABMiller formally rejects AB InBev's offer
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research