Blog: Coke inadvertently gives unsigned band limelight
Olly Wehring | 4 January 2007
One wonders whether 7 Seconds Of Love, an unsigned pop group from London, may one day thank Coca-Cola de Argentina for allegedly copying a video and tune for the band’s song Ninja, which features a Ninja Kitten.
The band has enjoyed coverage of its plagiarism claim from Sky News, Washington Post, CNN, the Sydney Morning Herald, and today on just-drinks.com.
It is questionable whether they would have gained such a platform had Coke realised the similarities and signed some kind of copyright deal.
For this reason 7 Seconds are not overly bitter about the crossover with their song, which starts: “I’m gonna flip out like a ninja, cause that’s what ninjas do. I’m gonna flip out like a ninja, and you should flip out too.” In fact, a banner on their website reads: “7 SECONDS OF LOVE IN GLOBAL MEDIA COKE FRENZY!!”
The band says they are considering suing Coke for copyright infringement, but this is doubtful for financial reasons. Coke has denied knowingly copying the animated video, having left it in the hands of an Argentinean advertising agency.
Check it out for yourself below - the link to Coke's advert, meanwhile, has mysteriously ceased to function this afternoon...
Paul Walsh just can't stay away from the drinks industry....
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
- Ten questions for Diageo - Analysis
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- Does alcohol accelerate the onset of dementia?
- How craft beer has shattered its US shackles
- Ashwagandha - The next functional drinks trend?
- Moet Hennessy unaffected by LVMH Dior buy
- BrewDog moves into spirits with LoneWolf launch
- Distell acquires majority stake in Cruz Vodka
- Portman Group heads to Tesco for new chief exec
- William Grant names Europe & NA Travel Retail head
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Craft Beer: Coming of Age or Past Its Prime?
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report