Blog: Coke inadvertently gives unsigned band limelight
Olly Wehring | 4 January 2007
One wonders whether 7 Seconds Of Love, an unsigned pop group from London, may one day thank Coca-Cola de Argentina for allegedly copying a video and tune for the band’s song Ninja, which features a Ninja Kitten.
The band has enjoyed coverage of its plagiarism claim from Sky News, Washington Post, CNN, the Sydney Morning Herald, and today on just-drinks.com.
It is questionable whether they would have gained such a platform had Coke realised the similarities and signed some kind of copyright deal.
For this reason 7 Seconds are not overly bitter about the crossover with their song, which starts: “I’m gonna flip out like a ninja, cause that’s what ninjas do. I’m gonna flip out like a ninja, and you should flip out too.” In fact, a banner on their website reads: “7 SECONDS OF LOVE IN GLOBAL MEDIA COKE FRENZY!!”
The band says they are considering suing Coke for copyright infringement, but this is doubtful for financial reasons. Coke has denied knowingly copying the animated video, having left it in the hands of an Argentinean advertising agency.
Check it out for yourself below - the link to Coke's advert, meanwhile, has mysteriously ceased to function this afternoon...
Spotted in Havana this week – a healthy stock of Pernod Ricard's Havanista rum. ...
Alcohol always has a big presence at the Oscars, albeit mostly in a supporting role....
Business is booming at copper pot still makers Chalvignac - you can tell from the loud noise coming from its factory floor in the French town of Jarnac-Champagne. ...
Heineken is betting big on the long-term opportunity around soccer in the US. ...
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- Interview - William Grant & Sons
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Pernod Ricard sends Martell Mumm PJ head to Asia
- Pernod Ricard's Havana Club Union
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research