Blog: Coke inadvertently gives unsigned band limelight
Olly Wehring | 4 January 2007
One wonders whether 7 Seconds Of Love, an unsigned pop group from London, may one day thank Coca-Cola de Argentina for allegedly copying a video and tune for the band’s song Ninja, which features a Ninja Kitten.
The band has enjoyed coverage of its plagiarism claim from Sky News, Washington Post, CNN, the Sydney Morning Herald, and today on just-drinks.com.
It is questionable whether they would have gained such a platform had Coke realised the similarities and signed some kind of copyright deal.
For this reason 7 Seconds are not overly bitter about the crossover with their song, which starts: “I’m gonna flip out like a ninja, cause that’s what ninjas do. I’m gonna flip out like a ninja, and you should flip out too.” In fact, a banner on their website reads: “7 SECONDS OF LOVE IN GLOBAL MEDIA COKE FRENZY!!”
The band says they are considering suing Coke for copyright infringement, but this is doubtful for financial reasons. Coke has denied knowingly copying the animated video, having left it in the hands of an Argentinean advertising agency.
Check it out for yourself below - the link to Coke's advert, meanwhile, has mysteriously ceased to function this afternoon...
To support the release of its latest report, entitled ‘The Economic Impact of Scotch Whisky Production in the UK’, trade body The Scotch Whisky Association has released this video, highlighting the si...
The Coca-Cola Co is in the middle of a major restructuring plan, affecting jobs around the world. The company is also downsizing its packaging....
One, perhaps minor, consequence of the conflict in Ukraine appears to be a fall in sales of Russian vodka in the country....
Diageo has jumped onboard Google's latest interactive maps and is opening up the virtual doors to four of its distilleries. ...
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research