Blog: Coke, CCE and Dr Pepper the dark horse
Chris Mercer | 25 February 2010
We've seen some fast-paced news days in our time on just-drinks, but today's Coca-Cola Co story is up there with the best of them.
Unlike the public tit-for-tat that precluded PepsiCo's deal to acquire its own major bottlers, Coca-Cola Co and Coca-Cola Enterprises (CCE) wrapped up their deal within 12 hours of the news breaking.
CCE and Coca-Cola Co did well to keep us all in the dark. Company officials spent the second half of 2009 actively briefing against a merger deal.
But, Coca-Cola Co CEO Muhtar Kent told analysts today that the two entered talks even before PepsiCo announced its own move.
CCE shares rocketed by more than a third today on news that shareholders will get some serious payback.
As we digest the deal, however, our eye has been caught by a dark horse lurking in the wings.
Enter Dr Pepper Snapple, which, via licence arrangements, is already pocketing $900m from the PepsiCo deal and looks set to reap another windfall from Coca-Cola Co and CCE, analysts believe.
With net sales looking up, Dr Pepper's prospects are looking a lot rosier for 2010 and into 2011.
Chris Mercer, Deputy Editor.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research