Blog: Coke, CCE and Dr Pepper the dark horse
Chris Mercer | 25 February 2010
We've seen some fast-paced news days in our time on just-drinks, but today's Coca-Cola Co story is up there with the best of them.
Unlike the public tit-for-tat that precluded PepsiCo's deal to acquire its own major bottlers, Coca-Cola Co and Coca-Cola Enterprises (CCE) wrapped up their deal within 12 hours of the news breaking.
CCE and Coca-Cola Co did well to keep us all in the dark. Company officials spent the second half of 2009 actively briefing against a merger deal.
But, Coca-Cola Co CEO Muhtar Kent told analysts today that the two entered talks even before PepsiCo announced its own move.
CCE shares rocketed by more than a third today on news that shareholders will get some serious payback.
As we digest the deal, however, our eye has been caught by a dark horse lurking in the wings.
Enter Dr Pepper Snapple, which, via licence arrangements, is already pocketing $900m from the PepsiCo deal and looks set to reap another windfall from Coca-Cola Co and CCE, analysts believe.
With net sales looking up, Dr Pepper's prospects are looking a lot rosier for 2010 and into 2011.
Chris Mercer, Deputy Editor.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- The wine category in 2016 - Review of the Year IV
- The Cognac Category - Everything you need to know
- Edrington readies Americas, GTR exec switches
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Diageo lines up 2017 Johnnie Walker expressions
- High-end Cognac making recovery in China - Pernod
- Drinks industry counters calls to ban alcohol ads
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends