Blog: Coke, CCE and Dr Pepper the dark horse
Chris Mercer | 25 February 2010
We've seen some fast-paced news days in our time on just-drinks, but today's Coca-Cola Co story is up there with the best of them.
Unlike the public tit-for-tat that precluded PepsiCo's deal to acquire its own major bottlers, Coca-Cola Co and Coca-Cola Enterprises (CCE) wrapped up their deal within 12 hours of the news breaking.
CCE and Coca-Cola Co did well to keep us all in the dark. Company officials spent the second half of 2009 actively briefing against a merger deal.
But, Coca-Cola Co CEO Muhtar Kent told analysts today that the two entered talks even before PepsiCo announced its own move.
CCE shares rocketed by more than a third today on news that shareholders will get some serious payback.
As we digest the deal, however, our eye has been caught by a dark horse lurking in the wings.
Enter Dr Pepper Snapple, which, via licence arrangements, is already pocketing $900m from the PepsiCo deal and looks set to reap another windfall from Coca-Cola Co and CCE, analysts believe.
With net sales looking up, Dr Pepper's prospects are looking a lot rosier for 2010 and into 2011.
Chris Mercer, Deputy Editor.
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
- Interview - Bernstein analyst Trevor Stirling
- Trump, local spirits and the IR role - The Analyst
- Is Irish whiskey ready to recognise its potential?
- Cannabis – A clear and present danger to alcohol
- The European beer market - Focus
- Diageo appoints first programmatic marketing head
- Diageo strike threat postponed with fresh vote
- Pernod Ricard offloads Domecq brandies, wines
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Remy snaps up Seattle's Westland Distillery