Blog: Coke Amatil - makes ties with one, cuts loose of another?
Olly Wehring | 15 November 2006
The highlight of last week on just-drinks was the announcement that Coca-Cola Amatil has secured a tie-up with Maxxium in Australia.
The deal will see CCA’s joint venture with SABMiller, Pacific Beverages, sell and distribute Maxxium’s spirits portfolio across the country, as well as producing Beam Global Spirits & Wine’s RTD portfolio. In just one sentence, then, we see a company that specialises in soft drinks set to sell beer and spirits.
The move is a canny one, with CCA spreading itself but not overstretching itself. The crossover is not tenuous and, with Maxxium Australia helping out on the side, CCA is set for a whole new adventure.
What it might do, however, is take CCA out of the reckoning when it comes to buying New Zealand spirits group Independent Liquor. It looks like CCA will have its hands full for the time being. Meanwhile, our spies tell us that an announcement on who has won the race for Independent will be made in a matter of days.
Keep with just-drinks and, as usual, you’ll be the first to know.
Whisk(e)y companies spend a lot of money and effort ageing their products for that premium taste....
PepsiCo created a stir last week with the news it is testing a product called Caleb's Kola, with some in the media claiming it was the beginning of a new “craft soda” category....
SABMiller's bid to widen the appeal of beer is very much in evidence at its latest 'House of Peroni' - with beer cocktails and a bigger bottle for the Italian lager brand on offer. ...
Here's a round-up of the big stories on just-drinks last week, featuring PepsiCo, SABMiller, the Scotch whisky category and the US wine market....
- Analysis - Remy's Cognac "dead-cat bounce"
- Comment - How Hand-Made is Tito's Handmade Vodka?
- Heineken to stay "active player" in beer M&A - CFO
- Diageo's future brighter than present suggests
- Diageo's Q1 Results by Region
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- United Spirits sees Q1 net loss
- Beam Suntory, Edrington part ways in Travel Retail
- Diageo puts Beckham centre stage in Haig Club ad
- Smirnoff Ice gets India launch