Blog: Coke Amatil - makes ties with one, cuts loose of another?
Olly Wehring | 15 November 2006
The highlight of last week on just-drinks was the announcement that Coca-Cola Amatil has secured a tie-up with Maxxium in Australia.
The deal will see CCA’s joint venture with SABMiller, Pacific Beverages, sell and distribute Maxxium’s spirits portfolio across the country, as well as producing Beam Global Spirits & Wine’s RTD portfolio. In just one sentence, then, we see a company that specialises in soft drinks set to sell beer and spirits.
The move is a canny one, with CCA spreading itself but not overstretching itself. The crossover is not tenuous and, with Maxxium Australia helping out on the side, CCA is set for a whole new adventure.
What it might do, however, is take CCA out of the reckoning when it comes to buying New Zealand spirits group Independent Liquor. It looks like CCA will have its hands full for the time being. Meanwhile, our spies tell us that an announcement on who has won the race for Independent will be made in a matter of days.
Keep with just-drinks and, as usual, you’ll be the first to know.
This weekend sees yet another “International Day” for a drinks category. Lucky us. Anyway, ahead of Sunday’s International Cachaça Day, here’s a wealth of information on Brazil’s national spirit, cour...
In yet one more sign that The Coca-Cola Co is losing its lustre, the soft drinks maker has, for the first time, fallen out of the top ten of a 'world's biggest brands' ranking....
What a week for stats! Yesterday, the Beverage Marketing Corporation released figures to show the bottled water market had more than doubled over the past 15 years in the US....
The Euro 2016 football tournament is almost upon us....
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- Is there a future for the global beer brand?
- How soft drinks can win big with adult consumers
- Global director int'l brands, Heineken - Interview
- Non-Scotch Whisky Essentials, Part I
- The UK Referendum - just-drinks Live Blog
- Aldi dealt alcohol sales blow in Australia
- Maxxium eyes US$1.4bn opportunity in UK spirits
- SABMiller confirms price paid for Meantime
- Ex-William Grant CEO Stella David re-joins Bacardi
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends