Blog: Coca-Cola, Huiyuan in fresh juice talks?
Olly Wehring | 23 April 2009
The Coca-Cola Co and Huiyuan Juice Group have held informal talks on a new tie-up between the two companies, according to a report in today's (23 April) Wall Street Journal.
The report comes a month after China's Ministry of Commerce rejected Coca-Cola's $2.4bn buyout bid for Huiyuan, on competition grounds.
Contrary to the report, a source close to the situation has told just-drinks today that the companies have not entered direct talks since the Ministry's ruling.
Despite this, just-drinks understands that the door is not closed on a deal. Investment banking representatives of the two companies in Hong Kong are believed to be eyeing possible ways of securing a future tie-up between the firms.
Ordinarily, Coca-Cola's sheer size and dominance in the global soft drinks market would likely make the firm loathe to agree to a venture in which it would not have a controlling stake.
However, China's potential as a consumer market, coupled with its political landscape, make it an extraordinary proposition for foreign multinationals.
And Hong Kong-based Huiyuan, with its 42% share of China's growing juice market, is a fairly mouthwatering proposition for soft drinks firms.
For now, Coca-Cola appears content to sit tight and build its in-house portfolio in China, but a revival of talks with Huiyuan should not be ruled out.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo rolls out vegan Baileys Almande Almondmilk
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends