Blog: Coca-Cola Enterprises Pulls Back
Chris Mercer | 9 September 2011
Coca-Cola Enterprises has stepped back from the eye of a political storm in France.
The bottler has reinstated its plan to invest EUR17m US$24m) in a bottling plant near Marseille, only 24 hours after suspending it. Such was the political backlash from what the company has termed a "communication error", the president of Coca-Cola Enteprises in Europe, Hubert Patricot, was forced to explain himself on French television.
Following yesterday's announcement, some French politicians accused the group of holding France to ransom, while labour minister Xavier Bertrand also expressed his dismay.
Coca-Cola moved quickly to patch up relations, even though Patricot said that the company still isn't pleased at all about the planned tax hike on added-sugar soft drinks.
All very confusing. It's a moment to forget for Coke - either it has bowed to political pressure, or it got its communications wrong. Whichever the reason, the episode shows that relations between French officials and Coke are as highly-strung as ever.
It would appear that the folk at the UK arm of Carlsberg have this year found the 'gimmicky' drawer in the marketing office....
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research