Blog: Coca-Cola Enterprises Pulls Back
Chris Mercer | 9 September 2011
Coca-Cola Enterprises has stepped back from the eye of a political storm in France.
The bottler has reinstated its plan to invest EUR17m US$24m) in a bottling plant near Marseille, only 24 hours after suspending it. Such was the political backlash from what the company has termed a "communication error", the president of Coca-Cola Enteprises in Europe, Hubert Patricot, was forced to explain himself on French television.
Following yesterday's announcement, some French politicians accused the group of holding France to ransom, while labour minister Xavier Bertrand also expressed his dismay.
Coca-Cola moved quickly to patch up relations, even though Patricot said that the company still isn't pleased at all about the planned tax hike on added-sugar soft drinks.
All very confusing. It's a moment to forget for Coke - either it has bowed to political pressure, or it got its communications wrong. Whichever the reason, the episode shows that relations between French officials and Coke are as highly-strung as ever.
One, perhaps minor, consequence of the conflict in Ukraine appears to be a fall in sales of Russian vodka in the country....
Diageo has jumped onboard Google's latest interactive maps and is opening up the virtual doors to four of its distilleries. ...
A very early start today, with Carla Errazuriz from Concha y Toro's fine wine division picking me up from our Santiago hotel at 0700....
Ever wondered how a whiskey still gets built? ...
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- Pernod unveils Jameson bottle for St Patrick's Day
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages