Blog: Coca-Cola Enterprises Pulls Back
Chris Mercer | 9 September 2011
Coca-Cola Enterprises has stepped back from the eye of a political storm in France.
The bottler has reinstated its plan to invest EUR17m US$24m) in a bottling plant near Marseille, only 24 hours after suspending it. Such was the political backlash from what the company has termed a "communication error", the president of Coca-Cola Enteprises in Europe, Hubert Patricot, was forced to explain himself on French television.
Following yesterday's announcement, some French politicians accused the group of holding France to ransom, while labour minister Xavier Bertrand also expressed his dismay.
Coca-Cola moved quickly to patch up relations, even though Patricot said that the company still isn't pleased at all about the planned tax hike on added-sugar soft drinks.
All very confusing. It's a moment to forget for Coke - either it has bowed to political pressure, or it got its communications wrong. Whichever the reason, the episode shows that relations between French officials and Coke are as highly-strung as ever.
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring William Grant & Sons, the Southern hemisphere's winemakers, SABMiller and Heineken, and Coke Light....
How many beer mugs can one man carry? ...
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring Pernod Ricard, The Coca-Cola Co, SABMiller's new Scotch whisky and Santa Rita Estates....
The US state of Arkansas goes to the polls on 4 November to decide whether to end so-called “dry” counties, meaning ones that don't allow any alcohol sales. About half of the state's 75 counties are a...
- Comment - Heineken's 'No' Cuts SABMiller Options
- Irish whiskey eyes a slice of Scotch's global pie
- Guinness: A Great Day for St James's Gate
- SABMiller spurned by Heineken: The start of the en
- Wines of the Beautiful South Ups its Game
- Patron Spirits' Patron Citrónge Lime
- Wm Grant CMO to head Orangina Scweppes Int'l
- Heineken rejects SABMiller purchase proposal
- Bacardi-Martini appoints Southern Europe chief
- William Grant gives Sailor Jerry pack revamp