Blog: Coca-Cola Co: It's Our Ball & We're Taking It Home
Chris Mercer | 8 September 2011
Coca-Cola Co has reacted to a tax hike in France by "re-evaluating" investment and cancelling a birthday party.
Coca-Cola's fractious relationship with France has taken another turn for the worse. Incensed by the government's decision to raise tax on sugar-added soft drinks by almost four-fold, the group has suspended a planned investment in the country.
It has also cancelled a 40th birthday party for its Pennes-Mirabeau plant near Marseille, which, really, just seems a bit petty.
Then again, Coca-Cola and the French authorities have a long history of antagonism. The French government briefly banned Coke following the end of the Second World War.
I expect that we will see more 'handbags' in the run-up to the tax implementation date, in January 2012.
Of course, it's also just possible (isn't it?) that Coca-Cola is using the tax hike as a convenient juncture at which to review an investment that probably looks less appealing given the downturn in western economies.
It would appear that the folk at the UK arm of Carlsberg have this year found the 'gimmicky' drawer in the marketing office....
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- It's not all bad for Diageo - Analysis
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Brand
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Tesco pulls small carton-size Ribena, Rubicon, Cap
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research