Blog: Coca-Cola Co: It's Our Ball & We're Taking It Home
Chris Mercer | 8 September 2011
Coca-Cola Co has reacted to a tax hike in France by "re-evaluating" investment and cancelling a birthday party.
Coca-Cola's fractious relationship with France has taken another turn for the worse. Incensed by the government's decision to raise tax on sugar-added soft drinks by almost four-fold, the group has suspended a planned investment in the country.
It has also cancelled a 40th birthday party for its Pennes-Mirabeau plant near Marseille, which, really, just seems a bit petty.
Then again, Coca-Cola and the French authorities have a long history of antagonism. The French government briefly banned Coke following the end of the Second World War.
I expect that we will see more 'handbags' in the run-up to the tax implementation date, in January 2012.
Of course, it's also just possible (isn't it?) that Coca-Cola is using the tax hike as a convenient juncture at which to review an investment that probably looks less appealing given the downturn in western economies.
Whisk(e)y companies spend a lot of money and effort ageing their products for that premium taste....
PepsiCo created a stir last week with the news it is testing a product called Caleb's Kola, with some in the media claiming it was the beginning of a new “craft soda” category....
SABMiller's bid to widen the appeal of beer is very much in evidence at its latest 'House of Peroni' - with beer cocktails and a bigger bottle for the Italian lager brand on offer. ...
Here's a round-up of the big stories on just-drinks last week, featuring PepsiCo, SABMiller, the Scotch whisky category and the US wine market....
- Analysis - Remy's Cognac "dead-cat bounce"
- Comment - How Hand-Made is Tito's Handmade Vodka?
- Heineken to stay "active player" in beer M&A - CFO
- Diageo's future brighter than present suggests
- Focus - Heineken's Q3 Performance by Region
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- United Spirits sees Q1 net loss
- Beam Suntory, Edrington part ways in Travel Retail
- Diageo puts Beckham centre stage in Haig Club ad
- Smirnoff Ice gets India launch