Blog: Coca-Cola Co: It's Our Ball & We're Taking It Home
Chris Mercer | 8 September 2011
Coca-Cola Co has reacted to a tax hike in France by "re-evaluating" investment and cancelling a birthday party.
Coca-Cola's fractious relationship with France has taken another turn for the worse. Incensed by the government's decision to raise tax on sugar-added soft drinks by almost four-fold, the group has suspended a planned investment in the country.
It has also cancelled a 40th birthday party for its Pennes-Mirabeau plant near Marseille, which, really, just seems a bit petty.
Then again, Coca-Cola and the French authorities have a long history of antagonism. The French government briefly banned Coke following the end of the Second World War.
I expect that we will see more 'handbags' in the run-up to the tax implementation date, in January 2012.
Of course, it's also just possible (isn't it?) that Coca-Cola is using the tax hike as a convenient juncture at which to review an investment that probably looks less appealing given the downturn in western economies.
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
It's not even available on pre-order yet, but Apple's latest piece of kit has already got a breathalyser app....
just-drinks is now closed for the Easter weekend....
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q3 & YTD
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Remy Cointreau US head to step down
- Africa "subdued" but Heineken sees Q1 rises
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report