Blog: Coca-Cola Co: It's Our Ball & We're Taking It Home
Chris Mercer | 8 September 2011
Coca-Cola Co has reacted to a tax hike in France by "re-evaluating" investment and cancelling a birthday party.
Coca-Cola's fractious relationship with France has taken another turn for the worse. Incensed by the government's decision to raise tax on sugar-added soft drinks by almost four-fold, the group has suspended a planned investment in the country.
It has also cancelled a 40th birthday party for its Pennes-Mirabeau plant near Marseille, which, really, just seems a bit petty.
Then again, Coca-Cola and the French authorities have a long history of antagonism. The French government briefly banned Coke following the end of the Second World War.
I expect that we will see more 'handbags' in the run-up to the tax implementation date, in January 2012.
Of course, it's also just possible (isn't it?) that Coca-Cola is using the tax hike as a convenient juncture at which to review an investment that probably looks less appealing given the downturn in western economies.
Some people in India believe alcohol should be more difficult to purchase. Last month, the state of Bihar halted all alcohol sales as its chief minister made good on an election promise. ...
Greetings from Zurich. Here as a guest of Heineken's Amstel brand, I'm due to sit down later today with the group's senior global director for international brands, Walter Drenth....
Drinks companies spend a lot of money on trying to predict trends. At last night's Worshipful Company of Distillers City debate, any strategists in the audience got a bit of forecasting for free....
I'll admit to being partial to an Aperol Spritz now and again, more usually in the summer months, sitting outside, shades on, slowly turning more golden/rusty....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Category Innovations - Scotch Whisky VII
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- AB InBev unveils Stella Artois three-packs
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China