Blog: Coca-Cola Co celebrates Pemberton discovery
Michelle Russell | 5 May 2011
It is now 125 years...and a day... since Atlanta-based pharmacist Dr John Pemberton accidentally concocted a cough mixture that was to become one of the biggest brands of the last century.
To mark its anniversary, The Coca-Cola Co hosted a festival at its Pemberton Place headquarters, featuring musicians from Somalia, New Zealand, the UK and the US. The soft drinks giant also illuminated its 29-story office building on North Avenue with a 'Thank You' display - a video of which can be viewed at http://CokeURL.com/trac.
Worldwide celebratory events also took place, in addition to the launch of a television advertisement comprising a montage of the brand's most memorable campaigns.
The world's biggest beverage company might be forgiven a small smile of satisfaction.
Even beyond soft drinks, brand Coca-Cola safely trumps all other drinks brands - be it beer, wine or spirits. In 2010, The brand made the number 16 spot in Brand Finance Global's 500 most valuable brands - worth $25.81bn. Rival PepsiCo reached 24, but trailing far behind was Heineken at number 75 and Carlsberg at number 285.
There is no doubt that Coca-Cola is still a brand to be reckoned with and a benchmark for others. So far, its status shows little sign of dimming in the new Millenium.
Below is Coca-Cola's animated history of its namesake brand.
The Coca-Cola Co has had its fair share of critics this year, from health campaigners to investor David Winters, who this week called for CEO Muhtar Kent to be replaced....
The UK health lobby is always very vocal on alcohol at this time of year, predictably so, and this year is no different. ...
“Ah, yes, you've hit upon a very sensitive area,” says Thomas, my guide at the Carlsberg Brewery in Copenhagen last Friday....
Experimentation has long been a watchword in the Scotch whisky industry. It is what has given consumers the huge range of ageing options, from refill hogsheads to virgin oak to Sherry butts....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Bacardi, Pernod Ricard welcome US-Cuba deal
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018