Blog: Coca-Cola Co celebrates Pemberton discovery
Michelle Russell | 5 May 2011
It is now 125 years...and a day... since Atlanta-based pharmacist Dr John Pemberton accidentally concocted a cough mixture that was to become one of the biggest brands of the last century.
To mark its anniversary, The Coca-Cola Co hosted a festival at its Pemberton Place headquarters, featuring musicians from Somalia, New Zealand, the UK and the US. The soft drinks giant also illuminated its 29-story office building on North Avenue with a 'Thank You' display - a video of which can be viewed at http://CokeURL.com/trac.
Worldwide celebratory events also took place, in addition to the launch of a television advertisement comprising a montage of the brand's most memorable campaigns.
The world's biggest beverage company might be forgiven a small smile of satisfaction.
Even beyond soft drinks, brand Coca-Cola safely trumps all other drinks brands - be it beer, wine or spirits. In 2010, The brand made the number 16 spot in Brand Finance Global's 500 most valuable brands - worth $25.81bn. Rival PepsiCo reached 24, but trailing far behind was Heineken at number 75 and Carlsberg at number 285.
There is no doubt that Coca-Cola is still a brand to be reckoned with and a benchmark for others. So far, its status shows little sign of dimming in the new Millenium.
Below is Coca-Cola's animated history of its namesake brand.
Could it happen? According to this report, a section of the beer community wants to ditch the word craft. They prefer instead the term “Indie” for brewers they believe follow the enlightened path of t...
The global elite were in Switzerland last week for the World Economic Forum in Davos, the annual corporate huddle for the rich and powerful. The CEO of The Coca-Cola Co, Muhtar Kent, was there too, de...
With The Coca-Cola Co stealing yesterday's limelight with its new united marketing strategy for brand Coke yesterday, a Forbes interview with PepsiCo North America Beverages' new CMO, Seth Kaufman, sl...
It is a bold attempt to regain a measure of control in the ever-spiraling debate about sugar. But will The Coca-Cola Co's new marketing strategy - which for the first time ties all of the Coke family ...
- Pernod Ricard 's first-half results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard's H1 performance by region - Focus
- Carlsberg's Q4 & full-year results - Preview
- Heineken's FY performance by region - Focus
- Forget Baby Boomers at your peril - Consumer Trend
- Asahi Group lines up Grolsch, Meantime, Peroni buy
- Diageo completes wine category exit in US
- Pernod Ricard targets US through unit, exec switch
- William Grant & Sons' Ailsa Bay - NPD
- Beam Suntory targets Kenya with Edrington/FIX
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research