Blog: Coca-Cola Co celebrates Pemberton discovery
Michelle Russell | 5 May 2011
It is now 125 years...and a day... since Atlanta-based pharmacist Dr John Pemberton accidentally concocted a cough mixture that was to become one of the biggest brands of the last century.
To mark its anniversary, The Coca-Cola Co hosted a festival at its Pemberton Place headquarters, featuring musicians from Somalia, New Zealand, the UK and the US. The soft drinks giant also illuminated its 29-story office building on North Avenue with a 'Thank You' display - a video of which can be viewed at http://CokeURL.com/trac.
Worldwide celebratory events also took place, in addition to the launch of a television advertisement comprising a montage of the brand's most memorable campaigns.
The world's biggest beverage company might be forgiven a small smile of satisfaction.
Even beyond soft drinks, brand Coca-Cola safely trumps all other drinks brands - be it beer, wine or spirits. In 2010, The brand made the number 16 spot in Brand Finance Global's 500 most valuable brands - worth $25.81bn. Rival PepsiCo reached 24, but trailing far behind was Heineken at number 75 and Carlsberg at number 285.
There is no doubt that Coca-Cola is still a brand to be reckoned with and a benchmark for others. So far, its status shows little sign of dimming in the new Millenium.
Below is Coca-Cola's animated history of its namesake brand.
It would appear that the folk at the UK arm of Carlsberg have this year found the 'gimmicky' drawer in the marketing office....
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- It's not all bad for Diageo - Analysis
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Brand
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Tesco pulls small carton-size Ribena, Rubicon, Cap
- Whyte & Mackay brings RumChata to UK
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research