Blog: Coca-Cola Co celebrates Pemberton discovery
Michelle Russell | 5 May 2011
It is now 125 years...and a day... since Atlanta-based pharmacist Dr John Pemberton accidentally concocted a cough mixture that was to become one of the biggest brands of the last century.
To mark its anniversary, The Coca-Cola Co hosted a festival at its Pemberton Place headquarters, featuring musicians from Somalia, New Zealand, the UK and the US. The soft drinks giant also illuminated its 29-story office building on North Avenue with a 'Thank You' display - a video of which can be viewed at http://CokeURL.com/trac.
Worldwide celebratory events also took place, in addition to the launch of a television advertisement comprising a montage of the brand's most memorable campaigns.
The world's biggest beverage company might be forgiven a small smile of satisfaction.
Even beyond soft drinks, brand Coca-Cola safely trumps all other drinks brands - be it beer, wine or spirits. In 2010, The brand made the number 16 spot in Brand Finance Global's 500 most valuable brands - worth $25.81bn. Rival PepsiCo reached 24, but trailing far behind was Heineken at number 75 and Carlsberg at number 285.
There is no doubt that Coca-Cola is still a brand to be reckoned with and a benchmark for others. So far, its status shows little sign of dimming in the new Millenium.
Below is Coca-Cola's animated history of its namesake brand.
Here in London, the second Wine Week has kicked off to coincide with UK wine trade event London Wine Fair. ...
Commuting in London is a drag. It’s overcrowded, sweaty and rarely goes to plan. In fact, it’s enough to turn a person to drink....
When it comes to market speculation, a company holds the prerogative to comment or not. Most times it is the latter, but we journalists are always grateful for any quote that we can get....
Carlsberg's Russian unit may be grinding down the gears, but its UK marketing team is proving to be no slouches. ...
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- Sustainability - Walking the Walk on Water
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Castel acquires stake in Belvedere
- Brown-Forman eyes family ties with board additions
- Belvedere proposes name change
- Diageo adds to Entourage tie-up - video
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review