Blog: Coca-Cola Co celebrates Pemberton discovery
Michelle Russell | 5 May 2011
It is now 125 years...and a day... since Atlanta-based pharmacist Dr John Pemberton accidentally concocted a cough mixture that was to become one of the biggest brands of the last century.
To mark its anniversary, The Coca-Cola Co hosted a festival at its Pemberton Place headquarters, featuring musicians from Somalia, New Zealand, the UK and the US. The soft drinks giant also illuminated its 29-story office building on North Avenue with a 'Thank You' display - a video of which can be viewed at http://CokeURL.com/trac.
Worldwide celebratory events also took place, in addition to the launch of a television advertisement comprising a montage of the brand's most memorable campaigns.
The world's biggest beverage company might be forgiven a small smile of satisfaction.
Even beyond soft drinks, brand Coca-Cola safely trumps all other drinks brands - be it beer, wine or spirits. In 2010, The brand made the number 16 spot in Brand Finance Global's 500 most valuable brands - worth $25.81bn. Rival PepsiCo reached 24, but trailing far behind was Heineken at number 75 and Carlsberg at number 285.
There is no doubt that Coca-Cola is still a brand to be reckoned with and a benchmark for others. So far, its status shows little sign of dimming in the new Millenium.
Below is Coca-Cola's animated history of its namesake brand.
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
It's not even available on pre-order yet, but Apple's latest piece of kit has already got a breathalyser app....
just-drinks is now closed for the Easter weekend....
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q3 & YTD
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Remy Cointreau US head to step down
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Africa "subdued" but Heineken sees Q1 rises
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets