Blog: Coca-Cola, CCE ties strained
Olly Wehring | 24 October 2008
Relations between The Coca-Cola Company and one if its principal bottlers, Coca-Cola Enterprises, are understood to be under strain.
Coca-Cola Enterprises yesterday (23 October) slashed profit guidance for 2008, following a fall in earnings in Q3 and a warning of tough market conditions in the US.
Amongst the gloom, however, was a note stating that Coca-Cola had pulled $35m of funding from CCE this year.
Separately, CCE announced that Gary Fayard, Coca-Cola CFO, would quit his post on the bottler's board. This, just-drinks was informed, was in order for Fayard to concentrate on his job at Coca-Cola.
Analyst group Stifel Nicolaus said in a note yesterday evening that the two groups had a "long and troubled history". It said CCE's announcements "reduce our confidence that Coke will work constructively with CCE as an important but separate partner".
It also suggested that Fayard's departure may prove a "useful prerequisite" to a change in Coca-Cola's ownership of CCE.
With the fourth quarter looking tough for the North American soft drinks market, and talk of a recession lasting 18 months, division in the ranks is not likely to help either group.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview, Philip Gregan, New Zealand Winegrowers
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Remy Cointreau sets up whisky division
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits