Blog: Coca-Cola, CCE ties strained
Olly Wehring | 24 October 2008
Relations between The Coca-Cola Company and one if its principal bottlers, Coca-Cola Enterprises, are understood to be under strain.
Coca-Cola Enterprises yesterday (23 October) slashed profit guidance for 2008, following a fall in earnings in Q3 and a warning of tough market conditions in the US.
Amongst the gloom, however, was a note stating that Coca-Cola had pulled $35m of funding from CCE this year.
Separately, CCE announced that Gary Fayard, Coca-Cola CFO, would quit his post on the bottler's board. This, just-drinks was informed, was in order for Fayard to concentrate on his job at Coca-Cola.
Analyst group Stifel Nicolaus said in a note yesterday evening that the two groups had a "long and troubled history". It said CCE's announcements "reduce our confidence that Coke will work constructively with CCE as an important but separate partner".
It also suggested that Fayard's departure may prove a "useful prerequisite" to a change in Coca-Cola's ownership of CCE.
With the fourth quarter looking tough for the North American soft drinks market, and talk of a recession lasting 18 months, division in the ranks is not likely to help either group.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo rolls out vegan Baileys Almande Almondmilk
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends