Blog: Cigs and booze - inextricably linked?
Chris Brook-Carter | 22 June 2004
As much as the drinks trade is at pains to distance itself from any kind of link with the tobacco industry, news reaches us from Thailand that may not be welcomed by all corners.
The Thai Public Health Minister has announced that she would propose a National Teetotal Day, scheduled for 1 August, amid growing concerns that efforts to restrict cigarette and alcohol sales were proving futile. Given the blueprint for such a day of abstinence would be the various no-smoking days around the world, should this idea take-off, it could be another blow to the drinks industry's efforts to defeat the unhealthy image its opponents try to brand it with.
At the same time as making the announcement, Sudarat Keyuraphan voiced concerns that efforts over the last year to prevent the sales of alcohol and cigarettes to minors in the country had produced few satisfactory results.
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Brown-Forman's H1 performance by region, brand
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Brown-Forman's barrel sales take Scotch hit
- Angostura places CEO on administrative leave
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends