Blog: Cigs and booze - inextricably linked?
Chris Brook-Carter | 22 June 2004
As much as the drinks trade is at pains to distance itself from any kind of link with the tobacco industry, news reaches us from Thailand that may not be welcomed by all corners.
The Thai Public Health Minister has announced that she would propose a National Teetotal Day, scheduled for 1 August, amid growing concerns that efforts to restrict cigarette and alcohol sales were proving futile. Given the blueprint for such a day of abstinence would be the various no-smoking days around the world, should this idea take-off, it could be another blow to the drinks industry's efforts to defeat the unhealthy image its opponents try to brand it with.
At the same time as making the announcement, Sudarat Keyuraphan voiced concerns that efforts over the last year to prevent the sales of alcohol and cigarettes to minors in the country had produced few satisfactory results.
Some people in India believe alcohol should be more difficult to purchase. Last month, the state of Bihar halted all alcohol sales as its chief minister made good on an election promise. ...
Greetings from Zurich. Here as a guest of Heineken's Amstel brand, I'm due to sit down later today with the group's senior global director for international brands, Walter Drenth....
Drinks companies spend a lot of money on trying to predict trends. At last night's Worshipful Company of Distillers City debate, any strategists in the audience got a bit of forecasting for free....
I'll admit to being partial to an Aperol Spritz now and again, more usually in the summer months, sitting outside, shades on, slowly turning more golden/rusty....
- Industry is following the pack to patriotic party
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Diageo unveils first European Johnnie Walker House
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Wm Grant redesigns Glenfiddich 21yo Gran Reserva
- Consumers want brands that challenge them - study
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends