Blog: Cigs and booze - inextricably linked?
Chris Brook-Carter | 22 June 2004
As much as the drinks trade is at pains to distance itself from any kind of link with the tobacco industry, news reaches us from Thailand that may not be welcomed by all corners.
The Thai Public Health Minister has announced that she would propose a National Teetotal Day, scheduled for 1 August, amid growing concerns that efforts to restrict cigarette and alcohol sales were proving futile. Given the blueprint for such a day of abstinence would be the various no-smoking days around the world, should this idea take-off, it could be another blow to the drinks industry's efforts to defeat the unhealthy image its opponents try to brand it with.
At the same time as making the announcement, Sudarat Keyuraphan voiced concerns that efforts over the last year to prevent the sales of alcohol and cigarettes to minors in the country had produced few satisfactory results.
This weekend sees yet another “International Day” for a drinks category. Lucky us. Anyway, ahead of Sunday’s International Cachaça Day, here’s a wealth of information on Brazil’s national spirit, cour...
In yet one more sign that The Coca-Cola Co is losing its lustre, the soft drinks maker has, for the first time, fallen out of the top ten of a 'world's biggest brands' ranking....
What a week for stats! Yesterday, the Beverage Marketing Corporation released figures to show the bottled water market had more than doubled over the past 15 years in the US....
The Euro 2016 football tournament is almost upon us....
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- Is there a future for the global beer brand?
- How soft drinks can win big with adult consumers
- Global director int'l brands, Heineken - Interview
- Non-Scotch Whisky Essentials, Part I
- The UK Referendum - just-drinks Live Blog
- Aldi dealt alcohol sales blow in Australia
- SABMiller confirms price paid for Meantime
- Maxxium eyes US$1.4bn opportunity in UK spirits
- Ex-William Grant CEO Stella David re-joins Bacardi
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends