Blog: Cigs and booze - inextricably linked?
Chris Brook-Carter | 22 June 2004
As much as the drinks trade is at pains to distance itself from any kind of link with the tobacco industry, news reaches us from Thailand that may not be welcomed by all corners.
The Thai Public Health Minister has announced that she would propose a National Teetotal Day, scheduled for 1 August, amid growing concerns that efforts to restrict cigarette and alcohol sales were proving futile. Given the blueprint for such a day of abstinence would be the various no-smoking days around the world, should this idea take-off, it could be another blow to the drinks industry's efforts to defeat the unhealthy image its opponents try to brand it with.
At the same time as making the announcement, Sudarat Keyuraphan voiced concerns that efforts over the last year to prevent the sales of alcohol and cigarettes to minors in the country had produced few satisfactory results.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research