Blog: Cigs and booze - inextricably linked?
Chris Brook-Carter | 22 June 2004
As much as the drinks trade is at pains to distance itself from any kind of link with the tobacco industry, news reaches us from Thailand that may not be welcomed by all corners.
The Thai Public Health Minister has announced that she would propose a National Teetotal Day, scheduled for 1 August, amid growing concerns that efforts to restrict cigarette and alcohol sales were proving futile. Given the blueprint for such a day of abstinence would be the various no-smoking days around the world, should this idea take-off, it could be another blow to the drinks industry's efforts to defeat the unhealthy image its opponents try to brand it with.
At the same time as making the announcement, Sudarat Keyuraphan voiced concerns that efforts over the last year to prevent the sales of alcohol and cigarettes to minors in the country had produced few satisfactory results.
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
We are well served in the drinks industry by quality advertising campaigns....
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Are we about to see a no-alcohol Heineken?
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Heineken integrates cider and beer
- Diageo strengthens Charmer Sunbelt distribution
- “New normal” sees Pernod target premium in China
- Pernod Ricard keen to stem Absolut US declines
- Heineken adds to UK on-trade footprint
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research