Blog: Cider - first the best, second the worst?
Olly Wehring | 19 September 2006
It seems there is no quenching the thirst for Magners cider. UK demand for the brand has forced its owners, C&C Group, to double capacity at its plant in Clonmel, the second time in a year that the company has expanded the site.
C&C is spending a significant amount of money, around EUR200m (US$253m), and the investment is a sign the company believes the cider boom will continue. The company saw Magners’ volumes soar 250% during the first half of the year and the performance of its sister brand, Bulmers, in Ireland suggests demand for cider is more than just a fad.
Scottish & Newcastle commands a dominant share of the UK cider market and no doubt hoped its marketing and distribution muscle would drive sales of Strongbow Sirrus and Bulmers Original, two products it launched after the first signs of Magners success in the UK.
However, C&C’s continued success with Magners demonstrates the benefit of being the “first mover” in what has become a lucrative category. Consumers see Magners as the premium packaged cider and the danger for S&N is that its offerings could be seen as a pale imitation of the Irish brand. After years in the doldrums, there seem interesting times ahead in the cider category.
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
It's not even available on pre-order yet, but Apple's latest piece of kit has already got a breathalyser app....
just-drinks is now closed for the Easter weekend....
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Diet Coke "a work in progress" in US - Coca-Cola
- Heineken seeks "clarity" in Indonesia
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- Pernod Ricard unveils new Absolut bottle
- Diageo's United Spirits calls on Mallya to quit
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Beam Suntory to strip down regional units
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets