Blog: Cider - first the best, second the worst?
Olly Wehring | 19 September 2006
It seems there is no quenching the thirst for Magners cider. UK demand for the brand has forced its owners, C&C Group, to double capacity at its plant in Clonmel, the second time in a year that the company has expanded the site.
C&C is spending a significant amount of money, around EUR200m (US$253m), and the investment is a sign the company believes the cider boom will continue. The company saw Magners’ volumes soar 250% during the first half of the year and the performance of its sister brand, Bulmers, in Ireland suggests demand for cider is more than just a fad.
Scottish & Newcastle commands a dominant share of the UK cider market and no doubt hoped its marketing and distribution muscle would drive sales of Strongbow Sirrus and Bulmers Original, two products it launched after the first signs of Magners success in the UK.
However, C&C’s continued success with Magners demonstrates the benefit of being the “first mover” in what has become a lucrative category. Consumers see Magners as the premium packaged cider and the danger for S&N is that its offerings could be seen as a pale imitation of the Irish brand. After years in the doldrums, there seem interesting times ahead in the cider category.
It would appear that the folk at the UK arm of Carlsberg have this year found the 'gimmicky' drawer in the marketing office....
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Pernod launches pomegranate whisky drink
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research