Blog: Chivas Regal - there is a limit to indulgence, Olly
Olly Wehring | 21 December 2006
I was down at Chivas Brothers’ headquarters in London earlier this week, having been invited to enjoy an “Indulgent Journey”.
The Pernod-owned unit was showcasing its Chivas Regal 18-year-old Scotch, by pairing it with some rather fine chocolates. As we were talked through the tasting by Chivas’ master blender, Colin Scott, we were encouraged to indulge ourselves as best we could.
My request to take my clothes off, then, was, sadly, greeted by a room of frowns.
Scott was the perfect host - I often wonder how many of these blenders, brewers, winemakers and distillers must roll their eyes at the thought of leading a bunch of thicko journalists through the jungle that a tasting can be.
Scott set me straight without hesitation: “You’re kidding, aren’t you?” he smiled. “These tastings are great - we can swallow!”
The Coca-Cola Co has had its fair share of critics this year, from health campaigners to investor David Winters, who this week called for CEO Muhtar Kent to be replaced....
The UK health lobby is always very vocal on alcohol at this time of year, predictably so, and this year is no different. ...
“Ah, yes, you've hit upon a very sensitive area,” says Thomas, my guide at the Carlsberg Brewery in Copenhagen last Friday....
Experimentation has long been a watchword in the Scotch whisky industry. It is what has given consumers the huge range of ageing options, from refill hogsheads to virgin oak to Sherry butts....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Sustainability in Wine - Part II
- just the Ten - Top Analyses of 2014
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Bacardi, Pernod Ricard welcome US-Cuba deal
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- SWA eyes London boost with new office
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018