Blog: Chivas Regal - there is a limit to indulgence, Olly
Olly Wehring | 21 December 2006
I was down at Chivas Brothers’ headquarters in London earlier this week, having been invited to enjoy an “Indulgent Journey”.
The Pernod-owned unit was showcasing its Chivas Regal 18-year-old Scotch, by pairing it with some rather fine chocolates. As we were talked through the tasting by Chivas’ master blender, Colin Scott, we were encouraged to indulge ourselves as best we could.
My request to take my clothes off, then, was, sadly, greeted by a room of frowns.
Scott was the perfect host - I often wonder how many of these blenders, brewers, winemakers and distillers must roll their eyes at the thought of leading a bunch of thicko journalists through the jungle that a tasting can be.
Scott set me straight without hesitation: “You’re kidding, aren’t you?” he smiled. “These tastings are great - we can swallow!”
It's yet another sign that the legal marijuana business is moving closer to the alcohol industry in the US....
Collecting wine is big business – and so is faking it. So, how do you tell your Chateau Lafite from your Chateau La Counterfeit?...
Here in London, the second Wine Week has kicked off to coincide with UK wine trade event London Wine Fair. ...
Commuting in London is a drag. It’s overcrowded, sweaty and rarely goes to plan. In fact, it’s enough to turn a person to drink....
- Comment - Scotch's Battle with Age
- Focus - The Risks of Acquisitions
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Interview - Illva Saronno CEO Augusto Reina
- Research - Cider/Perry: Adapts, Evolves & Grows
- Pernod Ricard to up focus on consumers - CEO
- Diageo creates USL unit to oversee own brands
- Diageo to close Maryland bottling site
- A-B InBev GSA head in drink-driving crash
- Pernod Ricard on US starting blocks with Havanista
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review