Blog: Chivas Regal - there is a limit to indulgence, Olly
Olly Wehring | 21 December 2006
I was down at Chivas Brothers’ headquarters in London earlier this week, having been invited to enjoy an “Indulgent Journey”.
The Pernod-owned unit was showcasing its Chivas Regal 18-year-old Scotch, by pairing it with some rather fine chocolates. As we were talked through the tasting by Chivas’ master blender, Colin Scott, we were encouraged to indulge ourselves as best we could.
My request to take my clothes off, then, was, sadly, greeted by a room of frowns.
Scott was the perfect host - I often wonder how many of these blenders, brewers, winemakers and distillers must roll their eyes at the thought of leading a bunch of thicko journalists through the jungle that a tasting can be.
Scott set me straight without hesitation: “You’re kidding, aren’t you?” he smiled. “These tastings are great - we can swallow!”
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Pernod Ricard cheers US move to ease Cuban limits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020