Blog: Chivas Regal - there is a limit to indulgence, Olly
Olly Wehring | 21 December 2006
I was down at Chivas Brothers’ headquarters in London earlier this week, having been invited to enjoy an “Indulgent Journey”.
The Pernod-owned unit was showcasing its Chivas Regal 18-year-old Scotch, by pairing it with some rather fine chocolates. As we were talked through the tasting by Chivas’ master blender, Colin Scott, we were encouraged to indulge ourselves as best we could.
My request to take my clothes off, then, was, sadly, greeted by a room of frowns.
Scott was the perfect host - I often wonder how many of these blenders, brewers, winemakers and distillers must roll their eyes at the thought of leading a bunch of thicko journalists through the jungle that a tasting can be.
Scott set me straight without hesitation: “You’re kidding, aren’t you?” he smiled. “These tastings are great - we can swallow!”
Greetings from Zurich. Here as a guest of Heineken's Amstel brand, I'm due to sit down later today with the group's senior global director for international brands, Walter Drenth....
Drinks companies spend a lot of money on trying to predict trends. At last night's Worshipful Company of Distillers City debate, any strategists in the audience got a bit of forecasting for free....
I'll admit to being partial to an Aperol Spritz now and again, more usually in the summer months, sitting outside, shades on, slowly turning more golden/rusty....
Jim Cramer, the excitable host of stock-picker programme Mad Money on CNBC, turned his attention on US brewers last week, attempting to forecast which has the most potential for investors....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Protein interest offers drinks opportunities - NPD
- Boom time for soft drinks in West Europe?
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Patron's lesson for the broader spirits sector
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- AB InBev unveils Stella Artois three-packs
- Rum "yet to maximise" GTR potential - Bacardi
- Leelex to open Portobello Road gin distillery
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Keurig Green Mountain in Hot Drinks (World)
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends