Blog: Chinese drinker goes for broke
Olly Wehring | 26 March 2007
The Chinese Year of the Pig symbolises, among other things, extravagance and one Chinese passenger took this firmly to heart recently, shelling out a record sum of EUR23,000 (US$30,500) on wines and spirits at a Paris-CDG duty free shop before catching a plane to Beijing.
Among his purchases were a Château Mouton-Rothschild 1945 (estimated price of almost EUR 14,000) and a rare Cognac dating back to 1806 (EUR 5,000). Other prize items in his hand luggage from the 15-minute spending spree included an Armagnac 1900 and a Côtes du Rhône Hermitage La Chapelle 1978.
The gentlemen in question, whose identity has not been disclosed, is apparently well known to the staff at the boutique who describe him as “a collector and an illustrator," When informed of the price, “it hardly fazed him” they said.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Asahi Group lifts 2016 sales, profits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends