Blog: Chinese drinker goes for broke
Olly Wehring | 26 March 2007
The Chinese Year of the Pig symbolises, among other things, extravagance and one Chinese passenger took this firmly to heart recently, shelling out a record sum of EUR23,000 (US$30,500) on wines and spirits at a Paris-CDG duty free shop before catching a plane to Beijing.
Among his purchases were a Château Mouton-Rothschild 1945 (estimated price of almost EUR 14,000) and a rare Cognac dating back to 1806 (EUR 5,000). Other prize items in his hand luggage from the 15-minute spending spree included an Armagnac 1900 and a Côtes du Rhône Hermitage La Chapelle 1978.
The gentlemen in question, whose identity has not been disclosed, is apparently well known to the staff at the boutique who describe him as “a collector and an illustrator," When informed of the price, “it hardly fazed him” they said.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Drinks industry's gender failure - Consumer Trends
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Fruit-flavoured beer? Think of the kids - Comment
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Gallo's vineyard footprint in California - The map
- Anheuser-Busch readies US executive switches
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Asahi’s Peroni Ambra - NPD
- Irish whiskey hails bid to relax distillery sales
- Heineken snaps up Stellenbrau craft brewery
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends