Blog: Chinese drinker goes for broke
Olly Wehring | 26 March 2007
The Chinese Year of the Pig symbolises, among other things, extravagance and one Chinese passenger took this firmly to heart recently, shelling out a record sum of EUR23,000 (US$30,500) on wines and spirits at a Paris-CDG duty free shop before catching a plane to Beijing.
Among his purchases were a Château Mouton-Rothschild 1945 (estimated price of almost EUR 14,000) and a rare Cognac dating back to 1806 (EUR 5,000). Other prize items in his hand luggage from the 15-minute spending spree included an Armagnac 1900 and a Côtes du Rhône Hermitage La Chapelle 1978.
The gentlemen in question, whose identity has not been disclosed, is apparently well known to the staff at the boutique who describe him as “a collector and an illustrator," When informed of the price, “it hardly fazed him” they said.
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
I was full of questions yesterday when reading our news story about Bacardi's Martini Smart Cube. An ice cube-shaped device that can provide real-time information about its consumer? How? What? Why? H...
News reaches us today of what has been heralded as the "world's most daring whisky challenge". The Ultimate Ardbeg ARDventurer has been launched this week with an inaugural three-day camping trip....
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- How soft drinks can exploit alcohol's loss
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- Diageo investment paying off for Captain Morgan
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends