Blog: Chinese drinker goes for broke
Olly Wehring | 26 March 2007
The Chinese Year of the Pig symbolises, among other things, extravagance and one Chinese passenger took this firmly to heart recently, shelling out a record sum of EUR23,000 (US$30,500) on wines and spirits at a Paris-CDG duty free shop before catching a plane to Beijing.
Among his purchases were a Château Mouton-Rothschild 1945 (estimated price of almost EUR 14,000) and a rare Cognac dating back to 1806 (EUR 5,000). Other prize items in his hand luggage from the 15-minute spending spree included an Armagnac 1900 and a Côtes du Rhône Hermitage La Chapelle 1978.
The gentlemen in question, whose identity has not been disclosed, is apparently well known to the staff at the boutique who describe him as “a collector and an illustrator," When informed of the price, “it hardly fazed him” they said.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- AB InBev fund ZX Ventures buys homebrew co
- Edrington’s The Macallan 40 Year Old - NPD
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- CCBA partner "in place by 2018" - Coca-Cola
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends