Blog: China's good... No, bad... What he said
Chris Brook-Carter | 20 January 2011
Communication - it's at the heart of all good organisations. I have just finished writing a piece on the current contrary position being taken by economists on China's short and medium-term economic prospects.
Is it, as many still argue, a panacea for all that ails the global business community or an economic time-bomb ready to explode the World's fragile recovery? Whether it's pundits on the television or economists in the newspapers, no one can seem to agree.
I was about to draw on some drinks industry examples to write a similar piece for this website, only to discover I had been beaten to the post by this excellent dissection of the debate by Chris Mercer.
Great minds and all that. (To be fair we had discussed this at length on Tuesday, only never to resolve who would write the piece. As I say, communication.)
To Chris' piece I will only add a reference to the trend amongst hedge funds to set up distressed China funds. As one eloquent expert was quoted in the UK press as saying this week: "Economists have contrarian views all the time. But these hedge funds have their shirts on the line and do their analysis carefully. The flurry of 'distress China' funds is a sign to sit up."
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
A bit of football fun for a Friday. Anheuser-Busch InBev has released the ad that will accompany its new Budweiser 'Dream Goal' campaign, that seeks to find the UK's best amateur goal. ...
No sooner had Anheuser-Busch InBev taken a gentle pop at the craft beer segment during February's Super Bowl, than the world's largest brewer has challenged the sub-category's target market in New Yor...
A few wry grins will have been raised in the offices of Dr Pepper Snapple Group today. ...
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Sustainability: What Craft Teaches Multi-Nationals
- Ethiopia competition to remain "intense" - Diageo
- Pernod takes positives from China Cognac bounce
- Brewers v Distillers in Nutrition Control Battle
- Heineken to cut jobs in global shake-up
- Bacardi bags a Bourbon with Angel's Envy buy
- Bacardi Brown-Forman here to stay
- Moet Hennessy sells Scotch Malt Whisky Society
- Carlsberg takes on Stella Artois in new campaign
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Heineken N.V. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly