Blog: China's good... No, bad... What he said
Chris Brook-Carter | 20 January 2011
Communication - it's at the heart of all good organisations. I have just finished writing a piece on the current contrary position being taken by economists on China's short and medium-term economic prospects.
Is it, as many still argue, a panacea for all that ails the global business community or an economic time-bomb ready to explode the World's fragile recovery? Whether it's pundits on the television or economists in the newspapers, no one can seem to agree.
I was about to draw on some drinks industry examples to write a similar piece for this website, only to discover I had been beaten to the post by this excellent dissection of the debate by Chris Mercer.
Great minds and all that. (To be fair we had discussed this at length on Tuesday, only never to resolve who would write the piece. As I say, communication.)
To Chris' piece I will only add a reference to the trend amongst hedge funds to set up distressed China funds. As one eloquent expert was quoted in the UK press as saying this week: "Economists have contrarian views all the time. But these hedge funds have their shirts on the line and do their analysis carefully. The flurry of 'distress China' funds is a sign to sit up."
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Signs of life in Japan's beer market - Comment
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends