Blog: China's good... No, bad... What he said
Chris Brook-Carter | 20 January 2011
Communication - it's at the heart of all good organisations. I have just finished writing a piece on the current contrary position being taken by economists on China's short and medium-term economic prospects.
Is it, as many still argue, a panacea for all that ails the global business community or an economic time-bomb ready to explode the World's fragile recovery? Whether it's pundits on the television or economists in the newspapers, no one can seem to agree.
I was about to draw on some drinks industry examples to write a similar piece for this website, only to discover I had been beaten to the post by this excellent dissection of the debate by Chris Mercer.
Great minds and all that. (To be fair we had discussed this at length on Tuesday, only never to resolve who would write the piece. As I say, communication.)
To Chris' piece I will only add a reference to the trend amongst hedge funds to set up distressed China funds. As one eloquent expert was quoted in the UK press as saying this week: "Economists have contrarian views all the time. But these hedge funds have their shirts on the line and do their analysis carefully. The flurry of 'distress China' funds is a sign to sit up."
Could it happen? According to this report, a section of the beer community wants to ditch the word craft. They prefer instead the term “Indie” for brewers they believe follow the enlightened path of t...
The global elite were in Switzerland last week for the World Economic Forum in Davos, the annual corporate huddle for the rich and powerful. The CEO of The Coca-Cola Co, Muhtar Kent, was there too, de...
With The Coca-Cola Co stealing yesterday's limelight with its new united marketing strategy for brand Coke yesterday, a Forbes interview with PepsiCo North America Beverages' new CMO, Seth Kaufman, sl...
It is a bold attempt to regain a measure of control in the ever-spiraling debate about sugar. But will The Coca-Cola Co's new marketing strategy - which for the first time ties all of the Coke family ...
- What's so special about Islay anyway? - Comment
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- With MegaBrew sorted, is MegaBev next? - Research
- What do Bourbon and craft beer have in common?
- Ten things to know about spirits in the US
- Bacardi ups ante in US Havana Club row
- Alcohol industry warning over Kroger plan
- SABMiller hits back in UK corporation tax row
- Suntory bids for Lucozade, Ribena Nigerian network
- Diageo's Orphan Barrel The Gifted Horse - NPD
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research