Blog: China's good... No, bad... What he said
Chris Brook-Carter | 20 January 2011
Communication - it's at the heart of all good organisations. I have just finished writing a piece on the current contrary position being taken by economists on China's short and medium-term economic prospects.
Is it, as many still argue, a panacea for all that ails the global business community or an economic time-bomb ready to explode the World's fragile recovery? Whether it's pundits on the television or economists in the newspapers, no one can seem to agree.
I was about to draw on some drinks industry examples to write a similar piece for this website, only to discover I had been beaten to the post by this excellent dissection of the debate by Chris Mercer.
Great minds and all that. (To be fair we had discussed this at length on Tuesday, only never to resolve who would write the piece. As I say, communication.)
To Chris' piece I will only add a reference to the trend amongst hedge funds to set up distressed China funds. As one eloquent expert was quoted in the UK press as saying this week: "Economists have contrarian views all the time. But these hedge funds have their shirts on the line and do their analysis carefully. The flurry of 'distress China' funds is a sign to sit up."
This weekend sees yet another “International Day” for a drinks category. Lucky us. Anyway, ahead of Sunday’s International Cachaça Day, here’s a wealth of information on Brazil’s national spirit, cour...
In yet one more sign that The Coca-Cola Co is losing its lustre, the soft drinks maker has, for the first time, fallen out of the top ten of a 'world's biggest brands' ranking....
What a week for stats! Yesterday, the Beverage Marketing Corporation released figures to show the bottled water market had more than doubled over the past 15 years in the US....
The Euro 2016 football tournament is almost upon us....
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- Is there a future for the global beer brand?
- How soft drinks can win big with adult consumers
- Global director int'l brands, Heineken - Interview
- Non-Scotch Whisky Essentials, Part I
- The UK Referendum - just-drinks Live Blog
- Aldi dealt alcohol sales blow in Australia
- Maxxium eyes US$1.4bn opportunity in UK spirits
- SABMiller confirms price paid for Meantime
- Ex-William Grant CEO Stella David re-joins Bacardi
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends