Blog: China and Taiwan - politicians spills their pints
Chris Brook-Carter | 1 July 2004
The long-running tension between Taiwan and China has spread into the beer market. China has refused to allow Taiwan Tobacco and Liquor Corp. (TTL) to sell Taiwan Beer in the country.
As China grows as a drinks market, it must continue to convince the global community that it is a stable and open marketplace, free from this type of political bias and wrangling.
China considers the self-governing island of Taiwan as a rebel province unworthy of statehood and rejects the Taiwan name in any form. TTL's application to register its “Taiwan Beer” trademark in the mainland was rejected on grounds that products cannot be named after “provinces”. Taiwan's only brewer has re-applied but says Beijing is stalling for political reasons. TTL is considering taking the matter up with the World Trade Organisation.
Speaking to Reuters News, China's Taiwan Affairs Office said yesterday that TTL's application had been rejected on the basis of its name. “Names of geographic locations of county level and above cannot be used as trademarks,” said spokesman Li Weiyi.
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- The global tailwinds behind Heineken - Analysis
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- US craft beer to hit saturation soon - Koch
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends