Blog: China and Taiwan - politicians spills their pints
Chris Brook-Carter | 1 July 2004
The long-running tension between Taiwan and China has spread into the beer market. China has refused to allow Taiwan Tobacco and Liquor Corp. (TTL) to sell Taiwan Beer in the country.
As China grows as a drinks market, it must continue to convince the global community that it is a stable and open marketplace, free from this type of political bias and wrangling.
China considers the self-governing island of Taiwan as a rebel province unworthy of statehood and rejects the Taiwan name in any form. TTL's application to register its “Taiwan Beer” trademark in the mainland was rejected on grounds that products cannot be named after “provinces”. Taiwan's only brewer has re-applied but says Beijing is stalling for political reasons. TTL is considering taking the matter up with the World Trade Organisation.
Speaking to Reuters News, China's Taiwan Affairs Office said yesterday that TTL's application had been rejected on the basis of its name. “Names of geographic locations of county level and above cannot be used as trademarks,” said spokesman Li Weiyi.
Could it happen? According to this report, a section of the beer community wants to ditch the word craft. They prefer instead the term “Indie” for brewers they believe follow the enlightened path of t...
The global elite were in Switzerland last week for the World Economic Forum in Davos, the annual corporate huddle for the rich and powerful. The CEO of The Coca-Cola Co, Muhtar Kent, was there too, de...
With The Coca-Cola Co stealing yesterday's limelight with its new united marketing strategy for brand Coke yesterday, a Forbes interview with PepsiCo North America Beverages' new CMO, Seth Kaufman, sl...
It is a bold attempt to regain a measure of control in the ever-spiraling debate about sugar. But will The Coca-Cola Co's new marketing strategy - which for the first time ties all of the Coke family ...
- Pernod Ricard 's first-half results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard's H1 performance by region - Focus
- Heineken's FY performance by region - Focus
- Forget Baby Boomers at your peril - Consumer Trend
- Carlsberg's full-year performance by region
- Asahi Group lines up Grolsch, Meantime, Peroni buy
- Pernod Ricard targets US through unit, exec switch
- William Grant & Sons' Ailsa Bay - NPD
- Asahi Group to buy Grolsch, Peroni from SABMiller
- Half-year sales lift for Pernod Ricard
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research