Blog: China and Taiwan - politicians spills their pints
Chris Brook-Carter | 1 July 2004
The long-running tension between Taiwan and China has spread into the beer market. China has refused to allow Taiwan Tobacco and Liquor Corp. (TTL) to sell Taiwan Beer in the country.
As China grows as a drinks market, it must continue to convince the global community that it is a stable and open marketplace, free from this type of political bias and wrangling.
China considers the self-governing island of Taiwan as a rebel province unworthy of statehood and rejects the Taiwan name in any form. TTL's application to register its “Taiwan Beer” trademark in the mainland was rejected on grounds that products cannot be named after “provinces”. Taiwan's only brewer has re-applied but says Beijing is stalling for political reasons. TTL is considering taking the matter up with the World Trade Organisation.
Speaking to Reuters News, China's Taiwan Affairs Office said yesterday that TTL's application had been rejected on the basis of its name. “Names of geographic locations of county level and above cannot be used as trademarks,” said spokesman Li Weiyi.
Spotted in Havana this week – a healthy stock of Pernod Ricard's Havanista rum. ...
Alcohol always has a big presence at the Oscars, albeit mostly in a supporting role....
Business is booming at copper pot still makers Chalvignac - you can tell from the loud noise coming from its factory floor in the French town of Jarnac-Champagne. ...
Heineken is betting big on the long-term opportunity around soccer in the US. ...
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Much Work to do on Packaging in the US
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Tough US hits Mast-Jagermeister volumes in 2014
- George Clooney launches Tequila Casamigos in UK
- Pernod Ricard's Havana Club Union
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report