Blog: Champagne bubbles flow for Christmas
Chris Mercer | 12 January 2010
Deep discounting has provided something of a boost to Champagne sales in the UK during the Christmas period.
The biggest retailers are reporting significant rises, following some fierce price cuts on both well-known brands and private label varieties.
Despite concern over the level of price cuts, the figures must inject a little optimism into the Champagne sector.
The next 12 months will, however, be a big test for the industry. Given the slump of 2009, and in the back-end of 2008, sales are likely to show some lift.
But, most observers expect performances at many houses to remain sluggish until at least 2011.
Chris Mercer, deputy editor.
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- Jose Cuervo applies to go public
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends