Blog: Champagne bubbles flow for Christmas
Chris Mercer | 12 January 2010
Deep discounting has provided something of a boost to Champagne sales in the UK during the Christmas period.
The biggest retailers are reporting significant rises, following some fierce price cuts on both well-known brands and private label varieties.
Despite concern over the level of price cuts, the figures must inject a little optimism into the Champagne sector.
The next 12 months will, however, be a big test for the industry. Given the slump of 2009, and in the back-end of 2008, sales are likely to show some lift.
But, most observers expect performances at many houses to remain sluggish until at least 2011.
Chris Mercer, deputy editor.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- Interview, Philip Gregan, New Zealand Winegrowers
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits