Blog: Champagne bubbles flow for Christmas
Chris Mercer | 12 January 2010
Deep discounting has provided something of a boost to Champagne sales in the UK during the Christmas period.
The biggest retailers are reporting significant rises, following some fierce price cuts on both well-known brands and private label varieties.
Despite concern over the level of price cuts, the figures must inject a little optimism into the Champagne sector.
The next 12 months will, however, be a big test for the industry. Given the slump of 2009, and in the back-end of 2008, sales are likely to show some lift.
But, most observers expect performances at many houses to remain sluggish until at least 2011.
Chris Mercer, deputy editor.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Will Coca-Cola Co’s Dunkin’ Donuts move pay off?
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Alcohol brands and the 'better-for-you' trend
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Ten ways to successfully target older consumers
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- Heineken's YTD performance by region - Focus
- SWA's David Frost to leave for foreign office role
- Stock Spirits appointments provoke investor unrest
- Diageo unveils new Bundaberg Rum packaging
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends