Blog: Caution - The Internet may harm your wealth, Thresher's
Olly Wehring | 5 December 2006
If, like us, you’re based in the UK, you may have been forwarded a voucher from off-licence chain Thresher’s last week.
The voucher offers a pretty impressive 40% off all wine and Champagne at the company’s stores. What has been interesting is the way this voucher has slipped out quietly on to the Internet - without any fanfare - and has spread virally over the last seven days.
In fact, the voucher looks to have become so popular that the popular press this weekend has suggested that the company is worried that its profits might take a hammering.
“We sent it out to our suppliers and we included a bit saying feel free to send it to your friends and family,” a spokesperson for Threshers told The Guardian on Saturday (2 December). “That obviously is a fuzzy number but we didn’t suspect it was going to be very much. But it has been huge,” he said. “We are waiting to see what happens.”
Well, I’m sorry, Threshers, but I’m going to call your bluff. I spoke to the company last week, and they said that the 40% offer isn’t that large a step from the buy-two-get-a-third-bottle free offer they have running in their stores. Not only that, but considering the cut-throat competition on the high-street - highlighted by the sad demise of Threshers’ smaller competitor Unwins at the end of last year - it would seem folly on a great scale if Thresher’s was going to paint itself into a corner in this way.
This must surely be a case of no such thing as bad publicity.
Want to know how to make it to the top of the beverage business? According to Muhtar Kent, it's all about the networking....
A red sticker to a shopper is like a red rag to a bull. And as the masses charge at the deals, UK off licences and supermarkets are finding new and novel ways to entice the herd. ...
To celebrate its 250th anniversary, Cognac brand Hennessy is trumpeting a virtual time capsule, making a parallel between it and a barrel of Cognac....
Rarely do sponsorship deals pay off so quickly. ...
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- 5 reasons why Constellation's Meiomi buy works
- NPD: The Clear Soft Drink Trend is Back
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Pernod Ricard allays Havana Club shortage fears
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research