Blog: Caution - The Internet may harm your wealth, Thresher's
Olly Wehring | 5 December 2006
If, like us, you’re based in the UK, you may have been forwarded a voucher from off-licence chain Thresher’s last week.
The voucher offers a pretty impressive 40% off all wine and Champagne at the company’s stores. What has been interesting is the way this voucher has slipped out quietly on to the Internet - without any fanfare - and has spread virally over the last seven days.
In fact, the voucher looks to have become so popular that the popular press this weekend has suggested that the company is worried that its profits might take a hammering.
“We sent it out to our suppliers and we included a bit saying feel free to send it to your friends and family,” a spokesperson for Threshers told The Guardian on Saturday (2 December). “That obviously is a fuzzy number but we didn’t suspect it was going to be very much. But it has been huge,” he said. “We are waiting to see what happens.”
Well, I’m sorry, Threshers, but I’m going to call your bluff. I spoke to the company last week, and they said that the 40% offer isn’t that large a step from the buy-two-get-a-third-bottle free offer they have running in their stores. Not only that, but considering the cut-throat competition on the high-street - highlighted by the sad demise of Threshers’ smaller competitor Unwins at the end of last year - it would seem folly on a great scale if Thresher’s was going to paint itself into a corner in this way.
This must surely be a case of no such thing as bad publicity.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research