Blog: Carling's online feedback - the good and the bad
Olly Wehring | 9 February 2007
Opening an online topic for discussion has its advantages and disadvantages, as I have found out to my own cost - and feelings - quite recently.
Coors Brewers, I assume, are now only too aware of this risk, having decided to open a forum for its new Carling beer advert. The ad, aired in the UK for the first time a few weeks ago, features flocks of starlings forming rather spectacular roosts in the English countryside. The Hard-Fi song ‘Living for the Weekend’ - which could easily be the ballsy brand’s anthem - plays in the background of the ad, which ends, not with the Carling name, but simply with the message ‘Belong’.
Here is some of the feedback:
Joshua: “The new advert is incredible. The music rocks as well - so does the footage.”
Karla: “Think it was ok ... quite clever idea with the ‘Belong’ theme, but a bit boring.”
Caroline: “There’s probably a lot of confused 18-year-olds hunting the supermarkets looking for ‘Belong’ and just giving up ‘cause they can’t find it!”
However, the whole thing was just plain lost on this guy who, worryingly enough, shares my name:
Ollie: “I don’t get the new advert, personally, because, I mean, what’s starlings got to do with having a bevvie? Don’t get me wrong it’s really good and all that, but I just don’t get it.”
Actually, I admit it - I wrote that last one.
It would appear that the folk at the UK arm of Carlsberg have this year found the 'gimmicky' drawer in the marketing office....
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller's Q1 Sales Performance by Region
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Global business development head to quit Diageo
- just the Winners - IWSC Spirits Trophy Winners
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research