Blog: Carling's online feedback - the good and the bad
Olly Wehring | 9 February 2007
Opening an online topic for discussion has its advantages and disadvantages, as I have found out to my own cost - and feelings - quite recently.
Coors Brewers, I assume, are now only too aware of this risk, having decided to open a forum for its new Carling beer advert. The ad, aired in the UK for the first time a few weeks ago, features flocks of starlings forming rather spectacular roosts in the English countryside. The Hard-Fi song ‘Living for the Weekend’ - which could easily be the ballsy brand’s anthem - plays in the background of the ad, which ends, not with the Carling name, but simply with the message ‘Belong’.
Here is some of the feedback:
Joshua: “The new advert is incredible. The music rocks as well - so does the footage.”
Karla: “Think it was ok ... quite clever idea with the ‘Belong’ theme, but a bit boring.”
Caroline: “There’s probably a lot of confused 18-year-olds hunting the supermarkets looking for ‘Belong’ and just giving up ‘cause they can’t find it!”
However, the whole thing was just plain lost on this guy who, worryingly enough, shares my name:
Ollie: “I don’t get the new advert, personally, because, I mean, what’s starlings got to do with having a bevvie? Don’t get me wrong it’s really good and all that, but I just don’t get it.”
Actually, I admit it - I wrote that last one.
The long-running spat between US and Czech brewers stepped up a notch this week after the Czech president described American beer as “filthy water”....
I've stopped short of covering it as a product launch story on just-drinks, but take a look at this. Released this month in the UK, Snuffle Dog Beer is already available in 25 markets....
PepsiCo received high praise when it announced it was to launch its stevia-based Pepsi extension True exclusively on Amazon in the US....
Sean 'Diddy' Combs, the US rapper and entrepreneur, has publicly turned against his apparent former favourite Tequlia brand, Patron, now that he is joint-owner of DeLeón Tequila....
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Is “Craft” the Next Big Thing for Soft Drinks?
- Can Coca-Cola fuel SABMiller's soft drinks story?
- Petropolis Finally Moving into SABMiller's View?
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Diageo confirms Australia RTD abv drops
- Pernod launches online Ballantine's "experiment"
- Global vodka sales slip in 2013 - research
- SABMiller returns to Brazil with Petropolis tie-up
- Smirnoff tops UK shopping list - figures
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014