Blog: Carling's online feedback - the good and the bad
Olly Wehring | 9 February 2007
Opening an online topic for discussion has its advantages and disadvantages, as I have found out to my own cost - and feelings - quite recently.
Coors Brewers, I assume, are now only too aware of this risk, having decided to open a forum for its new Carling beer advert. The ad, aired in the UK for the first time a few weeks ago, features flocks of starlings forming rather spectacular roosts in the English countryside. The Hard-Fi song ‘Living for the Weekend’ - which could easily be the ballsy brand’s anthem - plays in the background of the ad, which ends, not with the Carling name, but simply with the message ‘Belong’.
Here is some of the feedback:
Joshua: “The new advert is incredible. The music rocks as well - so does the footage.”
Karla: “Think it was ok ... quite clever idea with the ‘Belong’ theme, but a bit boring.”
Caroline: “There’s probably a lot of confused 18-year-olds hunting the supermarkets looking for ‘Belong’ and just giving up ‘cause they can’t find it!”
However, the whole thing was just plain lost on this guy who, worryingly enough, shares my name:
Ollie: “I don’t get the new advert, personally, because, I mean, what’s starlings got to do with having a bevvie? Don’t get me wrong it’s really good and all that, but I just don’t get it.”
Actually, I admit it - I wrote that last one.
A couple of months ago, US-based Saltwater Brewery developed 'edible six-pack rings' in an effort to curb threats to wildlife....
Last month, SPI Group unveiled its latest advert for Stolichnaya in the US. Its an amusing little number that caries the instruction: Drink what you want. The “I am man” ad looks to distance Millennia...
Who do you work for? I ask, merely to draw your attention to just-drinks’ company pages....
This weekend sees yet another “International Day” for a drinks category. Lucky us. Anyway, ahead of Sunday’s International Cachaça Day, here’s a wealth of information on Brazil’s national spirit, cour...
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- SABMiller's Q1 sales performance by region - Focus
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- The Coca-Cola Co's Q2/H1 2016 results - Preview
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- Diageo appoints new Smirnoff head
- Brown-Forman takes distribution in Spain in-house
- AB InBev halts VAIP incentive plan
- Gruppo Campari trials Negroni pre-mix
- AB InBev seeks single buyer for European beers
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends