Blog: Carling's online feedback - the good and the bad
Olly Wehring | 9 February 2007
Opening an online topic for discussion has its advantages and disadvantages, as I have found out to my own cost - and feelings - quite recently.
Coors Brewers, I assume, are now only too aware of this risk, having decided to open a forum for its new Carling beer advert. The ad, aired in the UK for the first time a few weeks ago, features flocks of starlings forming rather spectacular roosts in the English countryside. The Hard-Fi song ‘Living for the Weekend’ - which could easily be the ballsy brand’s anthem - plays in the background of the ad, which ends, not with the Carling name, but simply with the message ‘Belong’.
Here is some of the feedback:
Joshua: “The new advert is incredible. The music rocks as well - so does the footage.”
Karla: “Think it was ok ... quite clever idea with the ‘Belong’ theme, but a bit boring.”
Caroline: “There’s probably a lot of confused 18-year-olds hunting the supermarkets looking for ‘Belong’ and just giving up ‘cause they can’t find it!”
However, the whole thing was just plain lost on this guy who, worryingly enough, shares my name:
Ollie: “I don’t get the new advert, personally, because, I mean, what’s starlings got to do with having a bevvie? Don’t get me wrong it’s really good and all that, but I just don’t get it.”
Actually, I admit it - I wrote that last one.
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Brown-Forman's H1 performance by region, brand
- Coca-Cola CEO Muhtar Kent set to stand down
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Brown-Forman's barrel sales take Scotch hit
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Angostura places CEO on administrative leave
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends