Blog: Carling's online feedback - the good and the bad
Olly Wehring | 9 February 2007
Opening an online topic for discussion has its advantages and disadvantages, as I have found out to my own cost - and feelings - quite recently.
Coors Brewers, I assume, are now only too aware of this risk, having decided to open a forum for its new Carling beer advert. The ad, aired in the UK for the first time a few weeks ago, features flocks of starlings forming rather spectacular roosts in the English countryside. The Hard-Fi song ‘Living for the Weekend’ - which could easily be the ballsy brand’s anthem - plays in the background of the ad, which ends, not with the Carling name, but simply with the message ‘Belong’.
Here is some of the feedback:
Joshua: “The new advert is incredible. The music rocks as well - so does the footage.”
Karla: “Think it was ok ... quite clever idea with the ‘Belong’ theme, but a bit boring.”
Caroline: “There’s probably a lot of confused 18-year-olds hunting the supermarkets looking for ‘Belong’ and just giving up ‘cause they can’t find it!”
However, the whole thing was just plain lost on this guy who, worryingly enough, shares my name:
Ollie: “I don’t get the new advert, personally, because, I mean, what’s starlings got to do with having a bevvie? Don’t get me wrong it’s really good and all that, but I just don’t get it.”
Actually, I admit it - I wrote that last one.
Collecting wine is big business – and so is faking it. So, how do you tell your Chateau Lafite from your Chateau La Counterfeit?...
Here in London, the second Wine Week has kicked off to coincide with UK wine trade event London Wine Fair. ...
Commuting in London is a drag. It’s overcrowded, sweaty and rarely goes to plan. In fact, it’s enough to turn a person to drink....
When it comes to market speculation, a company holds the prerogative to comment or not. Most times it is the latter, but we journalists are always grateful for any quote that we can get....
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Are Coca-Cola, A-B InBev at a FIFA Crossroads?
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Focus - The Prosecco shortage that isn't
- Interview - Illva Saronno CEO Augusto Reina
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo takes Baileys, Gordon's marketing in-house
- Carlsberg cuts 180 staff
- Suntory to buy Japan Tobacco beverage unit
- Mixto Tequila poised for "golden age"
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review