Blog: Captain Morgan - Rum, not rum
Olly Wehring | 11 August 2011
I started a bit of a debate earlier today on Twitter, when I queried a category description used by Diageo in a press release.
In announcing the launch of an ad campaign for Captain Morgan, the drinks giant described the brand as being a “rum-based spirit drink”. This was news to me: I mean, I know Pernod Ricard's Malibu is not, strictly speaking, a rum. But, Captain Morgan?
Over to Diageo to explain:
'Captain Morgan Jamaican Black' is a rum – everywhere in the world.
'Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum' is sold primarily in the US and Canada, and under US law, and rest of world, it is a rum.
'Captain Morgan Original Spiced Gold' is the name given to 'Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum' in Europe. Under European law, it cannot be described as a rum due to the composition of the liquid – primarily the spices added to it and the ABV (35%). Therefore, in Europe, it must be described legally as “a rum-based spirit drink”.
As Diageo concluded to me: "Clear?"
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
A bit of football fun for a Friday. Anheuser-Busch InBev has released the ad that will accompany its new Budweiser 'Dream Goal' campaign, that seeks to find the UK's best amateur goal. ...
No sooner had Anheuser-Busch InBev taken a gentle pop at the craft beer segment during February's Super Bowl, than the world's largest brewer has challenged the sub-category's target market in New Yor...
A few wry grins will have been raised in the offices of Dr Pepper Snapple Group today. ...
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Sustainability: What Craft Teaches Multi-Nationals
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Pernod takes positives from China Cognac bounce
- Ethiopia competition to remain "intense" - Diageo
- Heineken to cut jobs in global shake-up
- Bacardi bags a Bourbon with Angel's Envy buy
- Bacardi Brown-Forman here to stay
- Carlsberg takes on Stella Artois in new campaign
- Anheuser-Busch InBev lines up new chairman
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Heineken N.V. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly