Blog: Captain Morgan - Rum, not rum
Olly Wehring | 11 August 2011
I started a bit of a debate earlier today on Twitter, when I queried a category description used by Diageo in a press release.
In announcing the launch of an ad campaign for Captain Morgan, the drinks giant described the brand as being a “rum-based spirit drink”. This was news to me: I mean, I know Pernod Ricard's Malibu is not, strictly speaking, a rum. But, Captain Morgan?
Over to Diageo to explain:
'Captain Morgan Jamaican Black' is a rum – everywhere in the world.
'Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum' is sold primarily in the US and Canada, and under US law, and rest of world, it is a rum.
'Captain Morgan Original Spiced Gold' is the name given to 'Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum' in Europe. Under European law, it cannot be described as a rum due to the composition of the liquid – primarily the spices added to it and the ABV (35%). Therefore, in Europe, it must be described legally as “a rum-based spirit drink”.
As Diageo concluded to me: "Clear?"
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- The Future of Cocktails - Consumer Trends
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Will Brexit make a winner out of Travel Retail?
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- Jose Cuervo applies to go public
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends