Blog: Captain Morgan - Rum, not rum
Olly Wehring | 11 August 2011
I started a bit of a debate earlier today on Twitter, when I queried a category description used by Diageo in a press release.
In announcing the launch of an ad campaign for Captain Morgan, the drinks giant described the brand as being a “rum-based spirit drink”. This was news to me: I mean, I know Pernod Ricard's Malibu is not, strictly speaking, a rum. But, Captain Morgan?
Over to Diageo to explain:
'Captain Morgan Jamaican Black' is a rum – everywhere in the world.
'Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum' is sold primarily in the US and Canada, and under US law, and rest of world, it is a rum.
'Captain Morgan Original Spiced Gold' is the name given to 'Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum' in Europe. Under European law, it cannot be described as a rum due to the composition of the liquid – primarily the spices added to it and the ABV (35%). Therefore, in Europe, it must be described legally as “a rum-based spirit drink”.
As Diageo concluded to me: "Clear?"
Spotted in Havana this week – a healthy stock of Pernod Ricard's Havanista rum. ...
Alcohol always has a big presence at the Oscars, albeit mostly in a supporting role....
Business is booming at copper pot still makers Chalvignac - you can tell from the loud noise coming from its factory floor in the French town of Jarnac-Champagne. ...
Heineken is betting big on the long-term opportunity around soccer in the US. ...
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Mike’s Hard Lemonade Could Be a Hard Sell
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q4 & FY
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo adds Dubai to Johnnie Walker skyline series
- Tough US hits Mast-Jagermeister volumes in 2014
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report