Blog: Cannabis and alcohol - a potent mix
Andy Morton | 2 June 2015
It's yet another sign that the legal marijuana business is moving closer to the alcohol industry in the US.
The American Beverage Licensees (ABL), which represents both on- and off-trade retailers, has invited the COO of a Colorado cannabis store to speak at its annual conference. Stephanie Hopper, the ABL said, will talk about “recreational cannabis business from a retail perspective”.
The ABL said it picked Hopper, who works for the Ballpark Holistic Dispensary in Denver, because alcohol retailers are becoming more interested in the marijuana market place “and what shape it may take in the future”.
Retailers obviously suspect there is money to be made, but the question is, will that money be made at the expense of beverage companies? Another question is, are beverage companies willing to mix in the cannabis marketplace themselves?
With legalisation slowly spreading through the US, it is a question that the industry needs to face. And soon.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
The chief executive of the Scotch Whisky Association, David Frost, is stepping down to become an advisor to UK Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Will Coca-Cola Co’s Dunkin’ Donuts move pay off?
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Analysts upbeat on Pernod Ricard's US success
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- Bacardi rolls out new Oakheart rum packs to US
- Seedlip eyes global growth with export deal
- SWA's David Frost to leave for foreign office role
- Stock Spirits appointments provoke investor unrest
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends