Blog: Cannabis and alcohol - a potent mix
Andy Morton | 2 June 2015
It's yet another sign that the legal marijuana business is moving closer to the alcohol industry in the US.
The American Beverage Licensees (ABL), which represents both on- and off-trade retailers, has invited the COO of a Colorado cannabis store to speak at its annual conference. Stephanie Hopper, the ABL said, will talk about “recreational cannabis business from a retail perspective”.
The ABL said it picked Hopper, who works for the Ballpark Holistic Dispensary in Denver, because alcohol retailers are becoming more interested in the marijuana market place “and what shape it may take in the future”.
Retailers obviously suspect there is money to be made, but the question is, will that money be made at the expense of beverage companies? Another question is, are beverage companies willing to mix in the cannabis marketplace themselves?
With legalisation slowly spreading through the US, it is a question that the industry needs to face. And soon.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
It is ironic that one of the newest beverage ingredient trends is linked to one of the oldest ingredients in traditional south Asian medicine. Ashwagandha has been a prized ingredient in Ayurvedic med...
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier today, The Coca-Cola Co reported its first-quarter results, with organic sales and volumes growth both flat in the period. Here, just-drinks takes a closer look at the company's performance by...
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- Does alcohol accelerate the onset of dementia?
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Ashwagandha - The next functional drinks trend?
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Distell acquires majority stake in Cruz Vodka
- Pernod Ricard YTD fiscal-2017 sales performance
- Cognac needs innovation at bottom end - Pernod
- William Grant names Europe & NA Travel Retail head
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Flavoured Powder Drinks in 2017: Confronting an Ageing World