Blog: Cannabis and alcohol - a potent mix
Andy Morton | 2 June 2015
It's yet another sign that the legal marijuana business is moving closer to the alcohol industry in the US.
The American Beverage Licensees (ABL), which represents both on- and off-trade retailers, has invited the COO of a Colorado cannabis store to speak at its annual conference. Stephanie Hopper, the ABL said, will talk about “recreational cannabis business from a retail perspective”.
The ABL said it picked Hopper, who works for the Ballpark Holistic Dispensary in Denver, because alcohol retailers are becoming more interested in the marijuana market place “and what shape it may take in the future”.
Retailers obviously suspect there is money to be made, but the question is, will that money be made at the expense of beverage companies? Another question is, are beverage companies willing to mix in the cannabis marketplace themselves?
With legalisation slowly spreading through the US, it is a question that the industry needs to face. And soon.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part II
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Signs of life in Japan's beer market - Comment
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Bacardi takes stake in Ilegal Mezcal
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends