Blog: Cannabis and alcohol - a potent mix
Andy Morton | 2 June 2015
It's yet another sign that the legal marijuana business is moving closer to the alcohol industry in the US.
The American Beverage Licensees (ABL), which represents both on- and off-trade retailers, has invited the COO of a Colorado cannabis store to speak at its annual conference. Stephanie Hopper, the ABL said, will talk about “recreational cannabis business from a retail perspective”.
The ABL said it picked Hopper, who works for the Ballpark Holistic Dispensary in Denver, because alcohol retailers are becoming more interested in the marijuana market place “and what shape it may take in the future”.
Retailers obviously suspect there is money to be made, but the question is, will that money be made at the expense of beverage companies? Another question is, are beverage companies willing to mix in the cannabis marketplace themselves?
With legalisation slowly spreading through the US, it is a question that the industry needs to face. And soon.
In his latest commentary for just-drinks, former drinks analyst Ian Shackleton heads to Brazil to look at 3G's burned fingers, the future worries for Anheuser-Busch InBev and Britvic's samba moves....
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research