Blog: Cannabis and alcohol - a potent mix
Andy Morton | 2 June 2015
It's yet another sign that the legal marijuana business is moving closer to the alcohol industry in the US.
The American Beverage Licensees (ABL), which represents both on- and off-trade retailers, has invited the COO of a Colorado cannabis store to speak at its annual conference. Stephanie Hopper, the ABL said, will talk about “recreational cannabis business from a retail perspective”.
The ABL said it picked Hopper, who works for the Ballpark Holistic Dispensary in Denver, because alcohol retailers are becoming more interested in the marijuana market place “and what shape it may take in the future”.
Retailers obviously suspect there is money to be made, but the question is, will that money be made at the expense of beverage companies? Another question is, are beverage companies willing to mix in the cannabis marketplace themselves?
With legalisation slowly spreading through the US, it is a question that the industry needs to face. And soon.
Philip Gregan, the CEO of trade organisation New Zealand Winegrowers was in London this week for the country's annual UK trade tasting. He sat down with just-drinks to talk Brexit, Trump and the futur...
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- US craft beer growth slows again - IRI figures
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits