Blog: Can you smoke without fire?
Chris Brook-Carter | 17 February 2004
There is no smoke without fire, or so the saying goes. But in this media-led world, dominated by a cynical public who distrust everyone and everything from polticians to big business, has it become too easy to suspect all those who hold power of wrong doing?
The Coca-Cola Company is a case in point. As one of the world's largest US-owned groups, it has become a leading target for all those protesting about all that is wrong with the modern world, from pesticides in soft drinks (India) and coercion against workers (Columbia), to anti-trust business practices (Europe).
It was interesting, then, to see a report in the US press today, quoting several former federal prosecutors on the subject of Coke's current US government investigation into allegations of fraud.
Rather than join an easy bandwagon in condeming Coke before it is found guilty, they suggest the investigaiton will turn up nothing illegal.
"From the things that I've seen, they've done an internal investigation that refuted many of the allegations. If that holds out and proves to be the case, I would expect the government to reach a similar conclusion," said Richard Deane, a former attorney in Atlanta.
Another former federal preosecutor said: "Some people on the street might think that where there's smoke there must be fire, but that may not necessarily be true. The government might ultimately decide there is no fire and there is no basis to bring forth charges."
To support the release of its latest report, entitled ‘The Economic Impact of Scotch Whisky Production in the UK’, trade body The Scotch Whisky Association has released this video, highlighting the si...
One, perhaps minor, consequence of the conflict in Ukraine appears to be a fall in sales of Russian vodka in the country....
Diageo has jumped onboard Google's latest interactive maps and is opening up the virtual doors to four of its distilleries. ...
A very early start today, with Carla Errazuriz from Concha y Toro's fine wine division picking me up from our Santiago hotel at 0700....
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Newcastle Brown Ale to lose caramel colouring
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review