Blog: Can you smoke without fire?
Chris Brook-Carter | 17 February 2004
There is no smoke without fire, or so the saying goes. But in this media-led world, dominated by a cynical public who distrust everyone and everything from polticians to big business, has it become too easy to suspect all those who hold power of wrong doing?
The Coca-Cola Company is a case in point. As one of the world's largest US-owned groups, it has become a leading target for all those protesting about all that is wrong with the modern world, from pesticides in soft drinks (India) and coercion against workers (Columbia), to anti-trust business practices (Europe).
It was interesting, then, to see a report in the US press today, quoting several former federal prosecutors on the subject of Coke's current US government investigation into allegations of fraud.
Rather than join an easy bandwagon in condeming Coke before it is found guilty, they suggest the investigaiton will turn up nothing illegal.
"From the things that I've seen, they've done an internal investigation that refuted many of the allegations. If that holds out and proves to be the case, I would expect the government to reach a similar conclusion," said Richard Deane, a former attorney in Atlanta.
Another former federal preosecutor said: "Some people on the street might think that where there's smoke there must be fire, but that may not necessarily be true. The government might ultimately decide there is no fire and there is no basis to bring forth charges."
Want to know how to make it to the top of the beverage business? According to Muhtar Kent, it's all about the networking....
A red sticker to a shopper is like a red rag to a bull. And as the masses charge at the deals, UK off licences and supermarkets are finding new and novel ways to entice the herd. ...
To celebrate its 250th anniversary, Cognac brand Hennessy is trumpeting a virtual time capsule, making a parallel between it and a barrel of Cognac....
Rarely do sponsorship deals pay off so quickly. ...
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- 5 reasons why Constellation's Meiomi buy works
- What do Brewers need from the UK Government?
- Constellation Brands basks in beer glory
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Diageo ditches Shui Jing Fang plans in China
- William Grant partners Rugby World Cup
- MillerCoors changes CMOs with immediate effect
- Molson Coors acquires Rekorderlig UK rights
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research