Blog: Can you smoke without fire?
Chris Brook-Carter | 17 February 2004
There is no smoke without fire, or so the saying goes. But in this media-led world, dominated by a cynical public who distrust everyone and everything from polticians to big business, has it become too easy to suspect all those who hold power of wrong doing?
The Coca-Cola Company is a case in point. As one of the world's largest US-owned groups, it has become a leading target for all those protesting about all that is wrong with the modern world, from pesticides in soft drinks (India) and coercion against workers (Columbia), to anti-trust business practices (Europe).
It was interesting, then, to see a report in the US press today, quoting several former federal prosecutors on the subject of Coke's current US government investigation into allegations of fraud.
Rather than join an easy bandwagon in condeming Coke before it is found guilty, they suggest the investigaiton will turn up nothing illegal.
"From the things that I've seen, they've done an internal investigation that refuted many of the allegations. If that holds out and proves to be the case, I would expect the government to reach a similar conclusion," said Richard Deane, a former attorney in Atlanta.
Another former federal preosecutor said: "Some people on the street might think that where there's smoke there must be fire, but that may not necessarily be true. The government might ultimately decide there is no fire and there is no basis to bring forth charges."
Spotted in Havana this week – a healthy stock of Pernod Ricard's Havanista rum. ...
Alcohol always has a big presence at the Oscars, albeit mostly in a supporting role....
Business is booming at copper pot still makers Chalvignac - you can tell from the loud noise coming from its factory floor in the French town of Jarnac-Champagne. ...
Heineken is betting big on the long-term opportunity around soccer in the US. ...
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- Beckham, Diageo and the Allure of the VIP Pop-Up
- Interview - William Grant & Sons
- just The Preview - Brown-Forman Q3 & YTD
- Diageo, Beckham launch VIP pop-up for Haig Club
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Pinnacle Vodka, Skinnygirl roll out on ice
- Pernod Ricard sends Martell Mumm PJ head to Asia
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research