Blog: CAMRA brews up a storm at Parliament over tax
James Wilmore | 13 December 2012
UK brewers and beer drinkers are refusing to give up on their fight over beer tax.
A mass rally, organised by consumer group the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA), took place at Parliament yesterday (12 December) - with hordes of disgruntled beer fans getting the chance to meet MPs and voice their displeasure over the duty escalator.
The good folk from the Society of Independent Brewers (SIBA) even laid on free beer for those attending, I understand.
A succession of MPs also addressed the massed troops - including Labour's Hazel Blears. Perhaps an odd choice, given she was part of the Government of the time which introduced the offending tax system?
Campaigners will have derived some hope from Chancellor George Osborne's recent scrapping of a planned fuel duty increase. The problem is, alcohol is much more of a political hot potato.
Osborne ducked the issue of alcohol duty in his autumn statement last week.
But, as CAMRA is the largest UK's largest consumer group with around 145,000 members (i.e. a significant number of voters), plus the 1,000-or-so breweries up and down the country, how long can the Goverment continue to ignore these pleas?
Follow me on Twitter @jamescwilmore
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Drinks industry's gender failure - Consumer Trends
- Fruit-flavoured beer? Think of the kids - Comment
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Gallo's vineyard footprint in California - The map
- Anheuser-Busch readies US executive switches
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Asahi’s Peroni Ambra - NPD
- Irish whiskey hails bid to relax distillery sales
- Heineken snaps up Stellenbrau craft brewery
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends