Blog: CAMRA brews up a storm at Parliament over tax
James Wilmore | 13 December 2012
UK brewers and beer drinkers are refusing to give up on their fight over beer tax.
A mass rally, organised by consumer group the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA), took place at Parliament yesterday (12 December) - with hordes of disgruntled beer fans getting the chance to meet MPs and voice their displeasure over the duty escalator.
The good folk from the Society of Independent Brewers (SIBA) even laid on free beer for those attending, I understand.
A succession of MPs also addressed the massed troops - including Labour's Hazel Blears. Perhaps an odd choice, given she was part of the Government of the time which introduced the offending tax system?
Campaigners will have derived some hope from Chancellor George Osborne's recent scrapping of a planned fuel duty increase. The problem is, alcohol is much more of a political hot potato.
Osborne ducked the issue of alcohol duty in his autumn statement last week.
But, as CAMRA is the largest UK's largest consumer group with around 145,000 members (i.e. a significant number of voters), plus the 1,000-or-so breweries up and down the country, how long can the Goverment continue to ignore these pleas?
Follow me on Twitter @jamescwilmore
This weekend, Bacardi is hosting a three-day music event on the private island of Palomino just off the coast of Puerto Rico....
Warmest thanks to all of you who filled in our annual readers' survey this month. The results are very important for us to learn from and look to improve our service to you....
Today's news that German spirits firm Mast-Jägermeister has joined UK responsible drinking organisation The Portman Group may raise eyebrows in some quarters....
Whisk(e)y companies spend a lot of money and effort ageing their products for that premium taste....
- Scotch's Slipping Crown: Convenient for Diageo?
- Comment - Has Scotch Whisky Jumped the Shark?
- Can Beer Learn from Keurig and Nespresso?
- C&C Group 'puzzled' by Spirit Pub Co rejection
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q3 & YTD
- Diageo partner Beckham turned down Beck's deal
- Whisky downturn slows Diageo's Scotch spend
- Mast-Jägermeister targets UK off-trade boost
- EXCLUSIVE - Mast-Jaegermeister, TWE join watchdog
- SABMiller announces management reshuffle
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Wine in the United Kingdom