Blog: CAMRA brews up a storm at Parliament over tax
James Wilmore | 13 December 2012
UK brewers and beer drinkers are refusing to give up on their fight over beer tax.
A mass rally, organised by consumer group the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA), took place at Parliament yesterday (12 December) - with hordes of disgruntled beer fans getting the chance to meet MPs and voice their displeasure over the duty escalator.
The good folk from the Society of Independent Brewers (SIBA) even laid on free beer for those attending, I understand.
A succession of MPs also addressed the massed troops - including Labour's Hazel Blears. Perhaps an odd choice, given she was part of the Government of the time which introduced the offending tax system?
Campaigners will have derived some hope from Chancellor George Osborne's recent scrapping of a planned fuel duty increase. The problem is, alcohol is much more of a political hot potato.
Osborne ducked the issue of alcohol duty in his autumn statement last week.
But, as CAMRA is the largest UK's largest consumer group with around 145,000 members (i.e. a significant number of voters), plus the 1,000-or-so breweries up and down the country, how long can the Goverment continue to ignore these pleas?
Follow me on Twitter @jamescwilmore
Want to know how to make it to the top of the beverage business? According to Muhtar Kent, it's all about the networking....
A red sticker to a shopper is like a red rag to a bull. And as the masses charge at the deals, UK off licences and supermarkets are finding new and novel ways to entice the herd. ...
To celebrate its 250th anniversary, Cognac brand Hennessy is trumpeting a virtual time capsule, making a parallel between it and a barrel of Cognac....
Rarely do sponsorship deals pay off so quickly. ...
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- 5 reasons why Constellation's Meiomi buy works
- NPD: The Clear Soft Drink Trend is Back
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Pernod Ricard allays Havana Club shortage fears
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research