Blog: CAMRA brews up a storm at Parliament over tax
James Wilmore | 13 December 2012
UK brewers and beer drinkers are refusing to give up on their fight over beer tax.
A mass rally, organised by consumer group the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA), took place at Parliament yesterday (12 December) - with hordes of disgruntled beer fans getting the chance to meet MPs and voice their displeasure over the duty escalator.
The good folk from the Society of Independent Brewers (SIBA) even laid on free beer for those attending, I understand.
A succession of MPs also addressed the massed troops - including Labour's Hazel Blears. Perhaps an odd choice, given she was part of the Government of the time which introduced the offending tax system?
Campaigners will have derived some hope from Chancellor George Osborne's recent scrapping of a planned fuel duty increase. The problem is, alcohol is much more of a political hot potato.
Osborne ducked the issue of alcohol duty in his autumn statement last week.
But, as CAMRA is the largest UK's largest consumer group with around 145,000 members (i.e. a significant number of voters), plus the 1,000-or-so breweries up and down the country, how long can the Goverment continue to ignore these pleas?
Follow me on Twitter @jamescwilmore
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Interview - Harviestoun Brewery MD Toby Knowles
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Bacardi recruits ex-News International exec
- Guinness Nigeria sees YTD sales, profits tumble
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends