Blog: Campari embraces Fear & Loathing with Wild Turkey tie-up
James Wilmore | 31 January 2014
Gruppo Campari is taking advantage of the received wisdom that its Bourbon brand, Wild Turkey, was a favourite of the writer Hunter S Thompson.
A stage version of the late hellraiser's seminal novel Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas made its debut last night in an underground space, The Vaults, near Waterloo, London. Campari has linked up with the show's producers, which include Thompson's friend Lou Stein, to promote the brand as part of a five-week run.
just-drinks was treated to cocktails related to the Fear and Loathing theme while taking in the play. Strangely, though Wild Turkey is mentioned in the book, it did not get a direct reference during the performance. However, John Chancer, who put in an excellent performance as the play's dual-narrator, based on Thompson himself, is seen drinking the Bourbon brand.
Being linked to a work so openly associated with drugs and general debauchery may seem a slightly high-risk strategy, bearing in mind the UK's powerful health lobby, but one that Campari must feel is worth taking.
Pernod Ricard has released a Travel Retail-only flavour extension of its Absolut vodka brand....
Spotted in Havana this week – a healthy stock of Pernod Ricard's Havanista rum. ...
Alcohol always has a big presence at the Oscars, albeit mostly in a supporting role....
Business is booming at copper pot still makers Chalvignac - you can tell from the loud noise coming from its factory floor in the French town of Jarnac-Champagne. ...
Heineken is betting big on the long-term opportunity around soccer in the US. ...
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- Beckham, Diageo and the Allure of the VIP Pop-Up
- Interview - William Grant & Sons
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA head - part II
- Diageo, Beckham launch VIP pop-up for Haig Club
- Diageo reveals US$400m Tequila investment
- Pinnacle Vodka, Skinnygirl roll out on ice
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Beam Suntory strikes new Baltics tie-up
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research