Blog: Campari embraces Fear & Loathing with Wild Turkey tie-up
James Wilmore | 31 January 2014
Gruppo Campari is taking advantage of the received wisdom that its Bourbon brand, Wild Turkey, was a favourite of the writer Hunter S Thompson.
A stage version of the late hellraiser's seminal novel Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas made its debut last night in an underground space, The Vaults, near Waterloo, London. Campari has linked up with the show's producers, which include Thompson's friend Lou Stein, to promote the brand as part of a five-week run.
just-drinks was treated to cocktails related to the Fear and Loathing theme while taking in the play. Strangely, though Wild Turkey is mentioned in the book, it did not get a direct reference during the performance. However, John Chancer, who put in an excellent performance as the play's dual-narrator, based on Thompson himself, is seen drinking the Bourbon brand.
Being linked to a work so openly associated with drugs and general debauchery may seem a slightly high-risk strategy, bearing in mind the UK's powerful health lobby, but one that Campari must feel is worth taking.
This weekend, Bacardi is hosting a three-day music event on the private island of Palomino just off the coast of Puerto Rico....
Warmest thanks to all of you who filled in our annual readers' survey this month. The results are very important for us to learn from and look to improve our service to you....
Today's news that German spirits firm Mast-Jägermeister has joined UK responsible drinking organisation The Portman Group may raise eyebrows in some quarters....
Pernod Ricard's Chivas Brothers unit has launched another extension to its The Glenlivet single malt Scotch brand. ...
Whisk(e)y companies spend a lot of money and effort ageing their products for that premium taste....
- Scotch's Slipping Crown: Convenient for Diageo?
- Comment - Has Scotch Whisky Jumped the Shark?
- Can Beer Learn from Keurig and Nespresso?
- C&C Group 'puzzled' by Spirit Pub Co rejection
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q3 & YTD
- Diageo partner Beckham turned down Beck's deal
- Whisky downturn slows Diageo's Scotch spend
- Mast-Jägermeister targets UK off-trade boost
- EXCLUSIVE - Mast-Jaegermeister, TWE join watchdog
- SABMiller announces management reshuffle
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Wine in the United Kingdom