Blog: Campari embraces Fear & Loathing with Wild Turkey tie-up
James Wilmore | 31 January 2014
Gruppo Campari is taking advantage of the received wisdom that its Bourbon brand, Wild Turkey, was a favourite of the writer Hunter S Thompson.
A stage version of the late hellraiser's seminal novel Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas made its debut last night in an underground space, The Vaults, near Waterloo, London. Campari has linked up with the show's producers, which include Thompson's friend Lou Stein, to promote the brand as part of a five-week run.
just-drinks was treated to cocktails related to the Fear and Loathing theme while taking in the play. Strangely, though Wild Turkey is mentioned in the book, it did not get a direct reference during the performance. However, John Chancer, who put in an excellent performance as the play's dual-narrator, based on Thompson himself, is seen drinking the Bourbon brand.
Being linked to a work so openly associated with drugs and general debauchery may seem a slightly high-risk strategy, bearing in mind the UK's powerful health lobby, but one that Campari must feel is worth taking.
Want to know how The Coca-Cola Co-backed Keurig Kold - released in the US yesterday - works?...
While analysts mull the numbers of Anheuser-Busch InBev's impending offer for SABMiller, there's a timely reminder in The Times newspaper this week that the proposed deal may yet fall victim to other ...
Brown-Forman has launched Sinatra Century under its Jack Daniel's whiskey brand. ...
Part of my lot on just-drinks is to nail down senior executives within our industry – the more senior the better. I've enjoyed interviewing many of the CEOs within our ranks, but one that I have never...
Sometimes, it's the simple things in life that are the most satisfying. Like a good book and a decent glass of wine......
- Are we kidding ourselves over craft spirits?
- What's behind Brown-Forman's Irish whiskey plans?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- How good a sustainability fit are ABI and SAB?
- Interview - Heineken global activation director
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- Chandon to become "third pillar brand" for MH
- Brown-Forman silent on Southern Comfort report
- Pay freeze anger threatens Carlsberg UK site
- Stoli appoints international marketing director
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research