Blog: Cameron leaps aboard the (alcohol) wagon
Chris Mercer | 16 February 2012
Ever the self-publicist, prime minister David Cameron is frightened of losing moral ground over excess drinking.
Adopting his paternal, creased-brow-'concerned' demeanor, Cameron this week stood inside a National Health Service hospital (yes, we still have them) to tell the UK that he is taking all this alcohol stuff very seriously.
From Cameron's voicemail (joke), I understand that there has been some consternation within Government about the Department of Health's hands-off approach, particularly on pricing. Banning sales below the cost of duty and VAT isn't going to do much to prices and Cameron knows it.
Therefore, the Government had better be seen to be at least thinking about doing something else. Maybe it will go further, maybe it won't. What matters right now is that everyone in Government is very concerned, very concerned indeed.
You could read more into it, of course. For one, if higher pricing can be achieved via higher tax, who do you think will get the money?
Second, in this week's speech, Cameron is tackling alcohol from a public order perspective. The insinuation is: 'get as pissed as a lord in your own garden, but chuck the beer cans over the fence and we'll nail you.' Or, lock you in a "drunk tank".
Spotted in Havana this week – a healthy stock of Pernod Ricard's Havanista rum. ...
Alcohol always has a big presence at the Oscars, albeit mostly in a supporting role....
Business is booming at copper pot still makers Chalvignac - you can tell from the loud noise coming from its factory floor in the French town of Jarnac-Champagne. ...
Heineken is betting big on the long-term opportunity around soccer in the US. ...
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- Interview - William Grant & Sons
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Pernod Ricard sends Martell Mumm PJ head to Asia
- Pernod Ricard's Havana Club Union
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research