Blog: Californian Postcard #3
Chris Brook-Carter | 6 December 2004
By Olly Wehring
And so Olly’s Excellent Adventure draws to a close. This is my final missive from California, as I return to the dark and dingey world that is December in London tomorrow.
It’s been a fascinating four weeks, and I have seen some of the most beautiful vistas (views in English English), eaten the largest portions of food and met some of the friendliest folk I probably ever will.
I couldn’t leave without thanking a few people who have manned the wildly-flapping webbed feet as I have glided gracefully from vineyard to vineyard.
Many thanks to John McLaren and Venla Freeman at the California Wine Institute in London for arranging so many of my appointments. Much appreciation goes to Chuck Kennedy for taking care of my transport issues in California. And thanks also to all those wine companies I met who fed me so well and plied me with so much Californian wine that I’m going to need to ship it home. At least it sorts out Christmas presents for my parents.
A final word of thanks must go to your esteemed managing editor here at just-drinks, Chris Brook-Carter, who gave the project the green light in the first place, and has been holding the news fort back home while I’ve been away gallivanting in the west-coast sun.
Keep your eyes peeled for some explosive interviews over the coming weeks in our features section. My management briefing on California’s wine industry will be available early next year.
Now, I’m thinking Australia in February might be fun…
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- US craft beer growth slows again - IRI figures
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits