Blog: Californian Postcard #3
Chris Brook-Carter | 6 December 2004
By Olly Wehring
And so Olly’s Excellent Adventure draws to a close. This is my final missive from California, as I return to the dark and dingey world that is December in London tomorrow.
It’s been a fascinating four weeks, and I have seen some of the most beautiful vistas (views in English English), eaten the largest portions of food and met some of the friendliest folk I probably ever will.
I couldn’t leave without thanking a few people who have manned the wildly-flapping webbed feet as I have glided gracefully from vineyard to vineyard.
Many thanks to John McLaren and Venla Freeman at the California Wine Institute in London for arranging so many of my appointments. Much appreciation goes to Chuck Kennedy for taking care of my transport issues in California. And thanks also to all those wine companies I met who fed me so well and plied me with so much Californian wine that I’m going to need to ship it home. At least it sorts out Christmas presents for my parents.
A final word of thanks must go to your esteemed managing editor here at just-drinks, Chris Brook-Carter, who gave the project the green light in the first place, and has been holding the news fort back home while I’ve been away gallivanting in the west-coast sun.
Keep your eyes peeled for some explosive interviews over the coming weeks in our features section. My management briefing on California’s wine industry will be available early next year.
Now, I’m thinking Australia in February might be fun…
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Heineken Q1 2017 by region - results data
- Remy Cointreau Fiscal-2017 sales - results data
- Soft drinks is losing the recycling game
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Scotch sales set to soar, despite recent struggles
- TWE's Beringer Main & Vine Dry Rosé - NPD
- Edrington shifts innovation to US in shake-up
- Pernod Ricard posts solid YTD sales jump - results
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends