Blog: Californian Postcard #1
Chris Brook-Carter | 12 November 2004
By Olly Wehring
So as my first week in the US draws to a close, it must be time for my first postcard home.
Many things remind me of the UK here in California: Friends is on the TV almost all day, you can drink the water from the taps, and they even have Safeway supermarkets. What I didn’t expect, however, was for the weather in the so-called Golden State to be so positively England-like. You folks make wine in this? It’s chucking it down.
Another observation has been the important role food plays out here, both in quality and quantity. A jet-lagged visit to the nearest restaurant on the first evening began with the waiter introducing himself by writing his name on the table cloth in crayon, then proceeding to serve us with a bowl of pasta each that would have slayed a herd of marauding wildebeast … or two.
A quick trip to the supermarket to buy some peanut butter for breakfast throws up an interesting conundrum. In the UK you can choose between two types – smooth and crunchy. And you’ll be thankful. Over here, peanut butter took up almost an aisle of the (already huge) supermarket. Soy-based, dry-roasted peanuts, salt-free. Erm, help?
Finally, a quick thank you to those of you whose hospitality I have tasted and an advance hello to those I am due to visit. Putting faces to names has rarely been so enjoyable, exciting and filling.
This is Olly Wehring, news editor for just-drinks, San Francisco.
Olly will be in California until 3 December. If you would like to meet with him, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. He can provide his own doggy bag.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part II
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Coca-Cola Amatil FY 2016 - results data
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Bacardi takes stake in Ilegal Mezcal
- Heineken hit by Greek compensation claim
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends