Blog: Californian Postcard #1
Chris Brook-Carter | 12 November 2004
By Olly Wehring
So as my first week in the US draws to a close, it must be time for my first postcard home.
Many things remind me of the UK here in California: Friends is on the TV almost all day, you can drink the water from the taps, and they even have Safeway supermarkets. What I didn’t expect, however, was for the weather in the so-called Golden State to be so positively England-like. You folks make wine in this? It’s chucking it down.
Another observation has been the important role food plays out here, both in quality and quantity. A jet-lagged visit to the nearest restaurant on the first evening began with the waiter introducing himself by writing his name on the table cloth in crayon, then proceeding to serve us with a bowl of pasta each that would have slayed a herd of marauding wildebeast … or two.
A quick trip to the supermarket to buy some peanut butter for breakfast throws up an interesting conundrum. In the UK you can choose between two types – smooth and crunchy. And you’ll be thankful. Over here, peanut butter took up almost an aisle of the (already huge) supermarket. Soy-based, dry-roasted peanuts, salt-free. Erm, help?
Finally, a quick thank you to those of you whose hospitality I have tasted and an advance hello to those I am due to visit. Putting faces to names has rarely been so enjoyable, exciting and filling.
This is Olly Wehring, news editor for just-drinks, San Francisco.
Olly will be in California until 3 December. If you would like to meet with him, please email email@example.com. He can provide his own doggy bag.
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Brown-Forman's H1 performance by region, brand
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Coca-Cola CEO Muhtar Kent set to stand down
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Brown-Forman's barrel sales take Scotch hit
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends