Blog: Californian Postcard #1
Chris Brook-Carter | 12 November 2004
By Olly Wehring
So as my first week in the US draws to a close, it must be time for my first postcard home.
Many things remind me of the UK here in California: Friends is on the TV almost all day, you can drink the water from the taps, and they even have Safeway supermarkets. What I didn’t expect, however, was for the weather in the so-called Golden State to be so positively England-like. You folks make wine in this? It’s chucking it down.
Another observation has been the important role food plays out here, both in quality and quantity. A jet-lagged visit to the nearest restaurant on the first evening began with the waiter introducing himself by writing his name on the table cloth in crayon, then proceeding to serve us with a bowl of pasta each that would have slayed a herd of marauding wildebeast … or two.
A quick trip to the supermarket to buy some peanut butter for breakfast throws up an interesting conundrum. In the UK you can choose between two types – smooth and crunchy. And you’ll be thankful. Over here, peanut butter took up almost an aisle of the (already huge) supermarket. Soy-based, dry-roasted peanuts, salt-free. Erm, help?
Finally, a quick thank you to those of you whose hospitality I have tasted and an advance hello to those I am due to visit. Putting faces to names has rarely been so enjoyable, exciting and filling.
This is Olly Wehring, news editor for just-drinks, San Francisco.
Olly will be in California until 3 December. If you would like to meet with him, please email email@example.com. He can provide his own doggy bag.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo rolls out vegan Baileys Almande Almondmilk
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends