Blog: CAGNY clouds hang over the Sunshine State
Olly Wehring | 18 February 2009
In normal times, a trip to Florida would be something to savour. But, as we are constantly told, these are anything but normal times.
This week, hundreds of senior US drinks industry executives and analysts are in the Sunshine State for what is likely to be a tense four-day conference discussing just what impact the recession is having on our sector.
The Consumer Analyst Group of New York (CAGNY) conference is one of the biggest dates in the US drinks industry calendar. This year, from 17-20 February, top execs from drinks giants including Diageo, SABMiller and The Coca-Cola Company – to name a few - have headed to Florida to provide an update on how their businesses are navigating the downturn - and how they aim to withstand the recession.
Central to discussions at the forum this week will be the state of consumer confidence and the pressures on the bottom line. With commodity and energy costs sliding slightly in recent months, will A&P get the boost required to ride this storm? Or is the need for profit rises paramount?
This week's forecast from the Sunshine State is likely to show some black clouds on the horizon. Keep your eyes on just-drinks for news on just how bad the forecast is.
The Pepsi Bottling Group said that while near-term economic difficulty would hurt drinks sales, the company would position itself to capitalise once the economy improves....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- The Future of Cocktails - Consumer Trends
- Will Brexit make a winner out of Travel Retail?
- Coke Life - Coca-Cola's niche soda - Comment
- Global water targets risk hiding local concerns
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- US hits AB InBev with US$6bn fine over India sales
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends