Blog: CAGNY clouds hang over the Sunshine State
Olly Wehring | 18 February 2009
In normal times, a trip to Florida would be something to savour. But, as we are constantly told, these are anything but normal times.
This week, hundreds of senior US drinks industry executives and analysts are in the Sunshine State for what is likely to be a tense four-day conference discussing just what impact the recession is having on our sector.
The Consumer Analyst Group of New York (CAGNY) conference is one of the biggest dates in the US drinks industry calendar. This year, from 17-20 February, top execs from drinks giants including Diageo, SABMiller and The Coca-Cola Company – to name a few - have headed to Florida to provide an update on how their businesses are navigating the downturn - and how they aim to withstand the recession.
Central to discussions at the forum this week will be the state of consumer confidence and the pressures on the bottom line. With commodity and energy costs sliding slightly in recent months, will A&P get the boost required to ride this storm? Or is the need for profit rises paramount?
This week's forecast from the Sunshine State is likely to show some black clouds on the horizon. Keep your eyes on just-drinks for news on just how bad the forecast is.
The Pepsi Bottling Group said that while near-term economic difficulty would hurt drinks sales, the company would position itself to capitalise once the economy improves....
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
- Pernod Ricard's Q3 2017 trading update - Preview
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- How soft drinks brands manage to offend consumers
- Heineken Q1 2017 by region - results data
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Scotch sales set to soar, despite recent struggles
- William Grant snaps up Tuthilltown Spirits in US
- TWE's Beringer Main & Vine Dry Rosé - NPD
- Edrington shifts innovation to US in shake-up
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Flavoured Powder Drinks in 2017: Confronting an Ageing World