Blog: Cadbury auction failing to fizz
Chris Brook-Carter | 12 October 2005
Cadbury Schweppes’ hopes of tempting one of its drinks rivals into the auction for its European beverage arm look to be dashed. If press reports over the last few days are to be believed, then the auction of the division that owns Orangina and Schweppes now looks set to be dominated by private equity groups after PepsiCo Inc and Groupe Danone decided not to bid.
Both companies are thought to have shown an initial interest, asking for information on the business, but subsequently failed to submit offers in the first round of bids. According to a report in the UK’s Sunday Times, both groups were looking for a private equity partner to launch a combined bid with. Both failed to seal a deal.
With news this week of one-time favourite Carlyle Group also pulling out the auction, it’s not been a great few days for the UK-based confectionary and soft drinks group.
But there is still plenty of interest in the sale - French buyout firm PAI, Apax, Permira, CVC Capital and BC Partners are thought to have submitted offers. However, the loss of the two suitors from within the trade means a bid driven by the kind of synergies PepsiCo and Danone could have created from the acquisition is now highly unlikely.
The bid premium for the division will now no doubt ease.
“They were obviously the favourites for Cadbury so the pressure is now off for any other interested parties,” one analyst neatly summed up this week.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- The wine category in 2016 - Review of the Year IV
- The Cognac Category - Everything you need to know
- Edrington readies Americas, GTR exec switches
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Diageo lines up 2017 Johnnie Walker expressions
- High-end Cognac making recovery in China - Pernod
- Drinks industry counters calls to ban alcohol ads
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends