Blog: "Buy a Mountain Dew and enjoy it"
Lucy Britner | 30 September 2016
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand. It is company CEO Indra Nooyi's response to an analyst who asked for a comment on the competition from Monster's new Mutant variant.
Earlier this year, Monster unveiled its latest NPD - Mutant and Hydro. In a note that followed the news, SIG analyst Pablo Zuanic said the launches were a "concerted effort to compete directly with PepsiCo's Mountain Dew brand".
And on a post year-to-date results call yesterday, Jefferies analyst Kevin Grundy wanted to know what Nooyi was planning to do about the competition.
The CEO, however, wasn't flustered.
"In terms of Monster and Mutant, hey, there can only be one Mountain Dew," she said. "And we’re focused on growing Mountain Dew. And if I were you, I’d go buy a Mountain Dew and enjoy it."
Bottoms up, Kevin.
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
- Interview - Bernstein analyst Trevor Stirling
- Trump, local spirits and the IR role - The Analyst
- Is Irish whiskey ready to recognise its potential?
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Cannabis – A clear and present danger to alcohol
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Pernod Ricard offloads Domecq brandies, wines
- Diageo strike threat postponed with fresh vote
- Diageo appoints first programmatic marketing head
- Sazerac poaches ex-Diageo government director