Blog: "Buy a Mountain Dew and enjoy it"
Lucy Britner | 30 September 2016
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand. It is company CEO Indra Nooyi's response to an analyst who asked for a comment on the competition from Monster's new Mutant variant.
Earlier this year, Monster unveiled its latest NPD - Mutant and Hydro. In a note that followed the news, SIG analyst Pablo Zuanic said the launches were a "concerted effort to compete directly with PepsiCo's Mountain Dew brand".
And on a post year-to-date results call yesterday, Jefferies analyst Kevin Grundy wanted to know what Nooyi was planning to do about the competition.
The CEO, however, wasn't flustered.
"In terms of Monster and Mutant, hey, there can only be one Mountain Dew," she said. "And we’re focused on growing Mountain Dew. And if I were you, I’d go buy a Mountain Dew and enjoy it."
Bottoms up, Kevin.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- US craft spirits could be as big as craft beer
- AB InBev fund ZX Ventures buys homebrew co
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends