Blog: "But Coke said I could, Ref"
Olly Wehring | 19 April 2010
The Coca-Cola Co has started up its engine for this year's FIFA World Cup tournament in South Africa today, with the launch of the first global TV ad for its namesake brand.
Hats off to the company, it certainly is a rousing advert, with 15 (I've counted) different on-pitch goal celebrations.
In September last year, you may recall, I was lucky enough to visit FIFA's headquarters in Zurich, and hear Coca-Cola's CEO, Muhtar Kent, detail the company's plans in the run-up to – and during - the tournament.
For every goal scored during the tournament and celebrated with a dance, Kent said at the time, Coca-Cola will make a donation to its 'Water for Schools' effort that helps provide schools with access to safe drinking water.
But will this charitable incentive push players to breach the rules? Surely the celebration in the ad when a player uses the corner flag as a microphone deserves a yellow card, for “unsporting behaviour, e.g. extravagant celebrations”?
Want to know how to make it to the top of the beverage business? According to Muhtar Kent, it's all about the networking....
A red sticker to a shopper is like a red rag to a bull. And as the masses charge at the deals, UK off licences and supermarkets are finding new and novel ways to entice the herd. ...
To celebrate its 250th anniversary, Cognac brand Hennessy is trumpeting a virtual time capsule, making a parallel between it and a barrel of Cognac....
Rarely do sponsorship deals pay off so quickly. ...
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- 5 reasons why Constellation's Meiomi buy works
- NPD: The Clear Soft Drink Trend is Back
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Pernod Ricard allays Havana Club shortage fears
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research