Blog: "But Coke said I could, Ref"
Olly Wehring | 19 April 2010
The Coca-Cola Co has started up its engine for this year's FIFA World Cup tournament in South Africa today, with the launch of the first global TV ad for its namesake brand.
Hats off to the company, it certainly is a rousing advert, with 15 (I've counted) different on-pitch goal celebrations.
In September last year, you may recall, I was lucky enough to visit FIFA's headquarters in Zurich, and hear Coca-Cola's CEO, Muhtar Kent, detail the company's plans in the run-up to – and during - the tournament.
For every goal scored during the tournament and celebrated with a dance, Kent said at the time, Coca-Cola will make a donation to its 'Water for Schools' effort that helps provide schools with access to safe drinking water.
But will this charitable incentive push players to breach the rules? Surely the celebration in the ad when a player uses the corner flag as a microphone deserves a yellow card, for “unsporting behaviour, e.g. extravagant celebrations”?
It would appear that the folk at the UK arm of Carlsberg have this year found the 'gimmicky' drawer in the marketing office....
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research