Blog: Bumpy landing for travel retail
Olly Wehring | 19 October 2009
Cannes in October. You'd expect it to be sunnier than the UK – and you'd be right.
There is, however, a bit of a chill in the air today (19 October) here in the south of France. For those heading to the annual TFWA World Exhibition, like ourselves, today brought UK passenger numbers that will cool any budding optimism among attendees.
According to the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA), the number of business passengers at Heathrow slid by 5% in 2008 as the economic downturn started to take hold in the last quarter of the year.
As all in the travel retail channel know, lower levels of business passengers means falling revenues for the airlines and lower sales going through the tills at airports.
What's more, the CAA numbers are for 2008 - the depth of the downturn since the turn of the year suggests 2009's numbers will be worse.
If you're here in Cannes, enjoy your week.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Analysts upbeat on Pernod Ricard's US success
- Bacardi rolls out new Oakheart rum packs to US
- Seedlip eyes global growth with export deal
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- Beam Suntory workers end Jim Beam strike
- Boston Beer Co outlines Samuel Adams innovation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends