Blog: Bumpy landing for travel retail
Olly Wehring | 19 October 2009
Cannes in October. You'd expect it to be sunnier than the UK – and you'd be right.
There is, however, a bit of a chill in the air today (19 October) here in the south of France. For those heading to the annual TFWA World Exhibition, like ourselves, today brought UK passenger numbers that will cool any budding optimism among attendees.
According to the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA), the number of business passengers at Heathrow slid by 5% in 2008 as the economic downturn started to take hold in the last quarter of the year.
As all in the travel retail channel know, lower levels of business passengers means falling revenues for the airlines and lower sales going through the tills at airports.
What's more, the CAA numbers are for 2008 - the depth of the downturn since the turn of the year suggests 2009's numbers will be worse.
If you're here in Cannes, enjoy your week.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- US craft beer growth slows again - IRI figures
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits