Blog: Bulmers Pear cider in laxative claim
Olly Wehring | 30 June 2009
C&C Group's new Bulmers Pear cider in Ireland has not gone down well with a handful of consumers, it seems.
A forum posting on the boards.ie website is headed: "Bulmers pear (best laxative known to man?)"
Several members of the forum then go on to describe, quite graphically in some cases, how they suffered from diarrhoea after drinking the new Bulmers.
One contributor, named 'chem', said: "The stomach was like a bubble machine gone nuts. After the 3rd pint it was like pulling the pin on a grenade."
When questioned about the complaints, a C&C Group spokesperson said in a statement to just-drinks: "Bulmers Pear contains a significant level of high quality, pear juice and like prunes, plums and grapes, pears contain naturally occurring substances which, depending on the quantity consumed and the sensitivity of the individual involved, may not agree with every individual."
It is understood that only a handful of complaints have been received relating to Bulmers Pear.
The spokesperson said that ingredients occur naturally in the pear juice and are not anything that Bulmers has added to the product.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Edrington’s The Macallan 40 Year Old - NPD
- Bacardi rolls out new Oakheart rum packs to US
- Seedlip eyes global growth with export deal
- Beam Suntory workers end Jim Beam strike
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends