Blog: Budweiser storm brewing over USA, Belgium World Cup battle
James Wilmore | 1 July 2014
The FIFA World Cup has thrown up plenty of intriguing battles, and tonight's last 16 encounter between the USA and Belgium is no exception.
But, what should patriotic Americans be drinking?
The obvious choice would be to "grab a Bud" as the expression goes. However, clued-up Twitter users have already spotted a flaw. Since 2008, Budweiser's parent, Anheuser-Busch, has been owned by InBev, based in Leuven, Belgium. It's almost exactly five years ago that A-B accepted a US$52bn offer from the Belgium firm.
For the InBev folk, it must be a tricky one. In their hearts, they will most likely want Belgium to win. But their heads will no doubt be saying USA, as sales of Budweiser should get a boost if Jurgen Klinsmann's side progresses.
Assuming, that is, the Twitterati quietens down over who owns the brand.
Sectors: Beer & cider
To support the release of its latest report, entitled ‘The Economic Impact of Scotch Whisky Production in the UK’, trade body The Scotch Whisky Association has released this video, highlighting the si...
The Coca-Cola Co is in the middle of a major restructuring plan, affecting jobs around the world. The company is also downsizing its packaging....
One, perhaps minor, consequence of the conflict in Ukraine appears to be a fall in sales of Russian vodka in the country....
Diageo has jumped onboard Google's latest interactive maps and is opening up the virtual doors to four of its distilleries. ...
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- US spirits pricing went "a little high" - Diageo
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Diageo H1 sales flatline as Q2 improves
- Carlsberg freezes Russia salaries, new hires
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research