Blog: Budweiser storm brewing over USA, Belgium World Cup battle
James Wilmore | 1 July 2014
The FIFA World Cup has thrown up plenty of intriguing battles, and tonight's last 16 encounter between the USA and Belgium is no exception.
But, what should patriotic Americans be drinking?
The obvious choice would be to "grab a Bud" as the expression goes. However, clued-up Twitter users have already spotted a flaw. Since 2008, Budweiser's parent, Anheuser-Busch, has been owned by InBev, based in Leuven, Belgium. It's almost exactly five years ago that A-B accepted a US$52bn offer from the Belgium firm.
For the InBev folk, it must be a tricky one. In their hearts, they will most likely want Belgium to win. But their heads will no doubt be saying USA, as sales of Budweiser should get a boost if Jurgen Klinsmann's side progresses.
Assuming, that is, the Twitterati quietens down over who owns the brand.
Sectors: Beer & cider
As world leaders convene in Paris this week for the COP 21 climate change conference, the value of consensus, cooperation and collaboration in the face of the climate change challenge - and the threat...
Forget gluten-free. Fodmaps are the latest food trend, and if you work in the soft drinks industry it is important to know where you stand with them....
Companies are very protective of their brand image. So it is refreshing to hear Diageo's Garbhan O’Bric, the global brand director for Baileys, speak the unvarnished truth when talking about the lique...
Alcohol companies love a good movie tie-in. A brush with Hollywood glamour seems to give marketers the warm and fuzzies, judging by the number of deals done over the past few years. The new James Bond...
just-drinks is in Cannes this week at the Tax Free World Association show. Here's the second part of Andy Morton's blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of the most important dates in the Trave...
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- A game of two halves for Remy Cointreau - Analysis
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- Britvic hits make-or-break time for US Fruit Shoot
- Beam Suntory to sell brandy & sherry to Emperador
- Former Diageo exec joins William Grant in LatAm
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- A-B InBev mulls sale of Peroni, Grolsch - report
- This week in spirits & wine
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Market 2015-2019
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts