Blog: Budweiser storm brewing over USA, Belgium World Cup battle
James Wilmore | 1 July 2014
The FIFA World Cup has thrown up plenty of intriguing battles, and tonight's last 16 encounter between the USA and Belgium is no exception.
But, what should patriotic Americans be drinking?
The obvious choice would be to "grab a Bud" as the expression goes. However, clued-up Twitter users have already spotted a flaw. Since 2008, Budweiser's parent, Anheuser-Busch, has been owned by InBev, based in Leuven, Belgium. It's almost exactly five years ago that A-B accepted a US$52bn offer from the Belgium firm.
For the InBev folk, it must be a tricky one. In their hearts, they will most likely want Belgium to win. But their heads will no doubt be saying USA, as sales of Budweiser should get a boost if Jurgen Klinsmann's side progresses.
Assuming, that is, the Twitterati quietens down over who owns the brand.
Sectors: Beer & cider
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
It's not even available on pre-order yet, but Apple's latest piece of kit has already got a breathalyser app....
just-drinks is now closed for the Easter weekend....
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
- Is Diageo on the Brink of a Brain Drain?
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q3 & YTD
- Pernod Ricard unveils Havana Club ad campaign
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Global Tequila market hits new highs in 2014
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Remy Cointreau US head to step down
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets