Blog: Budweiser storm brewing over USA, Belgium World Cup battle
James Wilmore | 1 July 2014
The FIFA World Cup has thrown up plenty of intriguing battles, and tonight's last 16 encounter between the USA and Belgium is no exception.
But, what should patriotic Americans be drinking?
The obvious choice would be to "grab a Bud" as the expression goes. However, clued-up Twitter users have already spotted a flaw. Since 2008, Budweiser's parent, Anheuser-Busch, has been owned by InBev, based in Leuven, Belgium. It's almost exactly five years ago that A-B accepted a US$52bn offer from the Belgium firm.
For the InBev folk, it must be a tricky one. In their hearts, they will most likely want Belgium to win. But their heads will no doubt be saying USA, as sales of Budweiser should get a boost if Jurgen Klinsmann's side progresses.
Assuming, that is, the Twitterati quietens down over who owns the brand.
Sectors: Beer & cider
Here in London, the second Wine Week has kicked off to coincide with UK wine trade event London Wine Fair. ...
Commuting in London is a drag. It’s overcrowded, sweaty and rarely goes to plan. In fact, it’s enough to turn a person to drink....
When it comes to market speculation, a company holds the prerogative to comment or not. Most times it is the latter, but we journalists are always grateful for any quote that we can get....
Carlsberg's Russian unit may be grinding down the gears, but its UK marketing team is proving to be no slouches. ...
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Sustainability - Walking the Walk on Water
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- SPI Group US, Canada sales chief departs
- Belvedere proposes name change
- Castel acquires stake in Belvedere
- Brown-Forman eyes family ties with board additions
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer