Blog: Budweiser storm brewing over USA, Belgium World Cup battle
James Wilmore | 1 July 2014
The FIFA World Cup has thrown up plenty of intriguing battles, and tonight's last 16 encounter between the USA and Belgium is no exception.
But, what should patriotic Americans be drinking?
The obvious choice would be to "grab a Bud" as the expression goes. However, clued-up Twitter users have already spotted a flaw. Since 2008, Budweiser's parent, Anheuser-Busch, has been owned by InBev, based in Leuven, Belgium. It's almost exactly five years ago that A-B accepted a US$52bn offer from the Belgium firm.
For the InBev folk, it must be a tricky one. In their hearts, they will most likely want Belgium to win. But their heads will no doubt be saying USA, as sales of Budweiser should get a boost if Jurgen Klinsmann's side progresses.
Assuming, that is, the Twitterati quietens down over who owns the brand.
Sectors: Beer & cider
In his latest commentary for just-drinks, former drinks analyst Ian Shackleton heads to Brazil to look at 3G's burned fingers, the future worries for Anheuser-Busch InBev and Britvic's samba moves....
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research