Blog: Bubble trouble
Chris Brook-Carter | 3 June 2004
As if being beaten by the Australians in the race for supermarket sales wasn’t depressing enough, one of France’s Champagnes has been beaten in a blind taste test by three sparklers produced in England – oh the ignominy!
Three English sparkling wines beat the Tesco Premier Cru Champagne Brut in a blind taste test for Which? magazine. The Champagne had previously topped a a blind taste test in the magazine in 2002.
No doubt the whole of Chablis breathed a sigh of relief when results for the still wines came in and none of the 17 English still wines tested merited special mention.
However, the sparkler results should in the least provoke a rethink about how the English wine industry is viewed from the outside
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Pernod Ricard cheers US move to ease Cuban limits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020