Blog: Bruichladdich master distiller Jim McEwan - one of the Scotch greats
Olly Wehring | 30 April 2015
To London yesterday evening for what turned out to be quite a treat of a whisky tasting. I've been to more tastings than you've had hot dinners (if you've had less than about 50 hot dinners) and, while I can't think of one that I haven't enjoyed, last night's may have topped them all.
After 52 years in the Scotch whisky industry, Jim McEwan, master distiller at Bruichladdich on Islay, is retiring next month. McEwan was our host yesterday at an event to launch the distillery's new Octomore 7.1.
I'd not met Jim before yesterday's tasting and I immediately regretted that. A typically bluff Scot, with a way with words and an anecdote for every day of his 52 years in the industry, he was a captivating host. My favourite story of his?
Sales of Heinz Salad Cream on Islay used to be sky-high, right up until the fiscal authorities clamped down on distilling. The reason for this?
The bottles were the perfect fit through the bung-hole of a barrel.
Enjoy your retirement, Jim.
just-drinks is thrilled to welcome a new industry commentator to the fold. Until earlier this year, Ian Shackleton spent over 25 years as a beverages analyst with several major banks, including Credit...
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
- Cannabis – A clear and present danger to alcohol
- Is Irish whiskey ready to recognise its potential?
- Interview - Bernstein analyst Trevor Stirling
- The European beer market - Focus
- Trump, local spirits and the IR role - The Analyst
- Diageo appoints first programmatic marketing head
- Corporate Relations Director to leave Diageo
- Bacardi names new global communications head
- Diageo strike threat postponed with fresh vote
- Diageo, Nolets unveil latest Ketel One campaign