Blog: Bruichladdich master distiller Jim McEwan - one of the Scotch greats
Olly Wehring | 30 April 2015
To London yesterday evening for what turned out to be quite a treat of a whisky tasting. I've been to more tastings than you've had hot dinners (if you've had less than about 50 hot dinners) and, while I can't think of one that I haven't enjoyed, last night's may have topped them all.
After 52 years in the Scotch whisky industry, Jim McEwan, master distiller at Bruichladdich on Islay, is retiring next month. McEwan was our host yesterday at an event to launch the distillery's new Octomore 7.1.
I'd not met Jim before yesterday's tasting and I immediately regretted that. A typically bluff Scot, with a way with words and an anecdote for every day of his 52 years in the industry, he was a captivating host. My favourite story of his?
Sales of Heinz Salad Cream on Islay used to be sky-high, right up until the fiscal authorities clamped down on distilling. The reason for this?
The bottles were the perfect fit through the bung-hole of a barrel.
Enjoy your retirement, Jim.
In the US, carbonated water has become a non-alcoholic beverage star, as consumers choose sparkling waters and seltzers instead of carbonated soft drinks to cut calorie and sugar consumption. The same...
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Pernod Ricard's Chivas Brothers division has added a new expression to its Scapa single malt Scotch whisky portfolio....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- The Future of Cocktails - Consumer Trends
- Will Brexit make a winner out of Travel Retail?
- Coke Life - Coca-Cola's niche soda - Comment
- Global water targets risk hiding local concerns
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- US hits AB InBev with US$6bn fine over India sales
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends