Blog: Bruichladdich master distiller Jim McEwan - one of the Scotch greats
Olly Wehring | 30 April 2015
To London yesterday evening for what turned out to be quite a treat of a whisky tasting. I've been to more tastings than you've had hot dinners (if you've had less than about 50 hot dinners) and, while I can't think of one that I haven't enjoyed, last night's may have topped them all.
After 52 years in the Scotch whisky industry, Jim McEwan, master distiller at Bruichladdich on Islay, is retiring next month. McEwan was our host yesterday at an event to launch the distillery's new Octomore 7.1.
I'd not met Jim before yesterday's tasting and I immediately regretted that. A typically bluff Scot, with a way with words and an anecdote for every day of his 52 years in the industry, he was a captivating host. My favourite story of his?
Sales of Heinz Salad Cream on Islay used to be sky-high, right up until the fiscal authorities clamped down on distilling. The reason for this?
The bottles were the perfect fit through the bung-hole of a barrel.
Enjoy your retirement, Jim.
In the first part of just-drinks' interview with Bulldog Gin Co's founder & CEO, Anshuman Vohra, we looked at the birth and rise of the brand. In part two, Vohra considers the wider gin segment, Bulld...
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
Experts have said drinks and brands that do not centre around one gender will drive future trends, as modern consumers look to avoid stereotypes. ...
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- US craft spirits could be as big as craft beer
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020