Blog: Bruichladdich master distiller Jim McEwan - one of the Scotch greats
Olly Wehring | 30 April 2015
To London yesterday evening for what turned out to be quite a treat of a whisky tasting. I've been to more tastings than you've had hot dinners (if you've had less than about 50 hot dinners) and, while I can't think of one that I haven't enjoyed, last night's may have topped them all.
After 52 years in the Scotch whisky industry, Jim McEwan, master distiller at Bruichladdich on Islay, is retiring next month. McEwan was our host yesterday at an event to launch the distillery's new Octomore 7.1.
I'd not met Jim before yesterday's tasting and I immediately regretted that. A typically bluff Scot, with a way with words and an anecdote for every day of his 52 years in the industry, he was a captivating host. My favourite story of his?
Sales of Heinz Salad Cream on Islay used to be sky-high, right up until the fiscal authorities clamped down on distilling. The reason for this?
The bottles were the perfect fit through the bung-hole of a barrel.
Enjoy your retirement, Jim.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part II
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Signs of life in Japan's beer market - Comment
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Bacardi takes stake in Ilegal Mezcal
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends