Blog: Broccoli haters enjoy fruits of smoothie-makers' labour
Andy Morton | 27 February 2013
But last week, independent smoothie maker Savse launched its vegetable-and-fruit concoctions in the UK while yesterday (26 February) US healthy-eating franchise Tropical Smoothie Cafe unveiled its own line of vegetable smoothies with a fruity twist.
I sense a trend.
Savse told me that the fruit sweetens the more bitter vegetable edge and swears that most people who buy its broccoli smoothie can't taste the broccoli. The company is marketing it at parents looking to smuggle veggies into their children's diets, but it's also supposedly a hit with athletes looking for some tasty nutrition.
So, will others dare follow the smoothie lead? Campbells already has its on-trade V8 line while, in China, convenience stores carry a good selection of locally-made, and heavily-sweetened, fruit-and-vegetable RTD juices. As obesity issues increasingly influence consumer choice, how long will it be before we see more broccoli and berry fusions?
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Edrington’s The Macallan 40 Year Old - NPD
- Bacardi rolls out new Oakheart rum packs to US
- AB InBev fund ZX Ventures buys homebrew co
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends