Blog: British Guild of Beer Writers Awards - We Have a Winner
Olly Wehring | 26 November 2010
Into London yesterday evening, to soak up the atmosphere, beer and Indian cuisine on offer at the British Guild of Beer Writers awards dinner.
The atmosphere at the Radisson Edwardian Bloomsbury Street hotel last night can best be described as jovial, with a hint of bullish. The brewing industry, much like the spirits and the wine industries, attracts a certain kind of person: down-to-earth, deep of laugh and ruddy of cheek. But, the ongoing travails of the brewing industry and, more specifically, the pub trade in the UK has drained some of the colour from those cheeks of late. Whereas the battle used to be for share of throat, the fight now is to get the throats in in the first place.
Some of the beers on offer last night, however - I was particularly taken by Blue Moon and Chimay - show clearly that, once the punters are in the net, there is more than enough on the beer menu to get them hooked.
I was particularly thrilled that just-drinks' beer commentator, Larry Nelson, picked up the award last night for 'Best Writing for the Beer and Pub Trade'.
If you've caught Larry's musings on just-drinks this year, you'll see that this award is more-than-justified. If you haven't, then get involved.
Forget gluten-free. Fodmaps are the latest food trend, and if you work in the soft drinks industry it is important to know where you stand with them....
Companies are very protective of their brand image. So it is refreshing to hear Diageo's Garbhan O’Bric, the global brand director for Baileys, speak the unvarnished truth when talking about the lique...
Alcohol companies love a good movie tie-in. A brush with Hollywood glamour seems to give marketers the warm and fuzzies, judging by the number of deals done over the past few years. The new James Bond...
just-drinks is in Cannes this week at the Tax Free World Association show. Here's the second part of Andy Morton's blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of the most important dates in the Trave...
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- This week in spirits & wine
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- Britvic's FY Performance by Region - Focus
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Craft, imports near 50% share in US on-trade
- Beam Suntory's Laphroaig Brodir - NPD
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts