Blog: British Guild of Beer Writers Awards - We Have a Winner
Olly Wehring | 26 November 2010
Into London yesterday evening, to soak up the atmosphere, beer and Indian cuisine on offer at the British Guild of Beer Writers awards dinner.
The atmosphere at the Radisson Edwardian Bloomsbury Street hotel last night can best be described as jovial, with a hint of bullish. The brewing industry, much like the spirits and the wine industries, attracts a certain kind of person: down-to-earth, deep of laugh and ruddy of cheek. But, the ongoing travails of the brewing industry and, more specifically, the pub trade in the UK has drained some of the colour from those cheeks of late. Whereas the battle used to be for share of throat, the fight now is to get the throats in in the first place.
Some of the beers on offer last night, however - I was particularly taken by Blue Moon and Chimay - show clearly that, once the punters are in the net, there is more than enough on the beer menu to get them hooked.
I was particularly thrilled that just-drinks' beer commentator, Larry Nelson, picked up the award last night for 'Best Writing for the Beer and Pub Trade'.
If you've caught Larry's musings on just-drinks this year, you'll see that this award is more-than-justified. If you haven't, then get involved.
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
We are well served in the drinks industry by quality advertising campaigns....
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Pernod Ricard's FY fiscal-2015 - Preview
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Pernod Ricard releases social medial guide
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research