Blog: British Guild of Beer Writers Awards - We Have a Winner
Olly Wehring | 26 November 2010
Into London yesterday evening, to soak up the atmosphere, beer and Indian cuisine on offer at the British Guild of Beer Writers awards dinner.
The atmosphere at the Radisson Edwardian Bloomsbury Street hotel last night can best be described as jovial, with a hint of bullish. The brewing industry, much like the spirits and the wine industries, attracts a certain kind of person: down-to-earth, deep of laugh and ruddy of cheek. But, the ongoing travails of the brewing industry and, more specifically, the pub trade in the UK has drained some of the colour from those cheeks of late. Whereas the battle used to be for share of throat, the fight now is to get the throats in in the first place.
Some of the beers on offer last night, however - I was particularly taken by Blue Moon and Chimay - show clearly that, once the punters are in the net, there is more than enough on the beer menu to get them hooked.
I was particularly thrilled that just-drinks' beer commentator, Larry Nelson, picked up the award last night for 'Best Writing for the Beer and Pub Trade'.
If you've caught Larry's musings on just-drinks this year, you'll see that this award is more-than-justified. If you haven't, then get involved.
Want to know how to make it to the top of the beverage business? According to Muhtar Kent, it's all about the networking....
A red sticker to a shopper is like a red rag to a bull. And as the masses charge at the deals, UK off licences and supermarkets are finding new and novel ways to entice the herd. ...
To celebrate its 250th anniversary, Cognac brand Hennessy is trumpeting a virtual time capsule, making a parallel between it and a barrel of Cognac....
Rarely do sponsorship deals pay off so quickly. ...
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- 5 reasons why Constellation's Meiomi buy works
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- What do Brewers need from the UK Government?
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Diageo ditches Shui Jing Fang plans in China
- William Grant partners Rugby World Cup
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- MillerCoors changes CMOs with immediate effect
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research