Blog: Brakspear: Tuesday's not taxing
Olly Wehring | 16 February 2012
A quick heads-up, dear reader: I won't be at the coalface this coming Tuesday. No, I shall be in lovely, leafy Henley-on-Thames.
Ten pubs operated by Brakspear in Henley, which is about 30 miles west of London, are staging a ‘Tax-Free Beer Day’ on Tuesday. From opening the doors to last orders, the pubs will be selling pints of Brakspear Bitter for GBP2.00 (US$3.14) each.
“Beer duty, VAT (value added tax) and other taxes together add around GBP1.30 to a pint of beer (based on a price of GBP3.10), turning what should be one of life’s affordable pleasures into an irregular treat for many people and contributing to pub closures,” the company said.
I can see this kind form of protest catching on, you know.
So, on Tuesday, if anyone needs me, I’ll be in one of these.
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
I was full of questions yesterday when reading our news story about Bacardi's Martini Smart Cube. An ice cube-shaped device that can provide real-time information about its consumer? How? What? Why? H...
News reaches us today of what has been heralded as the "world's most daring whisky challenge". The Ultimate Ardbeg ARDventurer has been launched this week with an inaugural three-day camping trip....
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- How soft drinks can exploit alcohol's loss
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Diageo job cut figures "likely overstated"
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- Diageo investment paying off for Captain Morgan
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends