Blog: Bowmore a smash hit in royal ship launch
Andy Morton | 4 July 2014
Part of a sainted tradition or a waste of a perfectly good whisky?
That was the question some may have been asking when Queen Elizabeth II launched the Royal Navy's newest vessel in Scotland earlier today (4 July). The Queen Elizabeth, the first of two ships named after the UK's reigning monarch, was christened on the banks of the River Forth with the ceremonial smashing of a bottle of alcohol. Except, because of the location, the usual Champagne was switched to a GBP33 (US$56) bottle of Bowmore, owned by Suntory subsidiary Morrison Bowmore.
The choice of dram was particularly apt, as the Queen's only visit thus far to a whisky distillery was to Bowmore's Islay home in 1980, something which Morrison Bowmore was keen to recall.
Distillery head Mike Keiller said: “We wouldn’t generally recommend smashing a bottle of Bowmore, but given our special relationship with Her Majesty, we were delighted to make an exception on this occasion.”
It's not the first time this year the UK's royals have been photographed near a whisky bottle. In May, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge took their son George to Edrington's Glenturret distillery in Perthshire.
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
We are well served in the drinks industry by quality advertising campaigns....
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- India overtakes France for Pernod Ricard
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- New whisky distillery set for Edinburgh
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research