Blog: Bowmore a smash hit in royal ship launch
Andy Morton | 4 July 2014
Part of a sainted tradition or a waste of a perfectly good whisky?
That was the question some may have been asking when Queen Elizabeth II launched the Royal Navy's newest vessel in Scotland earlier today (4 July). The Queen Elizabeth, the first of two ships named after the UK's reigning monarch, was christened on the banks of the River Forth with the ceremonial smashing of a bottle of alcohol. Except, because of the location, the usual Champagne was switched to a GBP33 (US$56) bottle of Bowmore, owned by Suntory subsidiary Morrison Bowmore.
The choice of dram was particularly apt, as the Queen's only visit thus far to a whisky distillery was to Bowmore's Islay home in 1980, something which Morrison Bowmore was keen to recall.
Distillery head Mike Keiller said: “We wouldn’t generally recommend smashing a bottle of Bowmore, but given our special relationship with Her Majesty, we were delighted to make an exception on this occasion.”
It's not the first time this year the UK's royals have been photographed near a whisky bottle. In May, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge took their son George to Edrington's Glenturret distillery in Perthshire.
This weekend, Bacardi is hosting a three-day music event on the private island of Palomino just off the coast of Puerto Rico....
Warmest thanks to all of you who filled in our annual readers' survey this month. The results are very important for us to learn from and look to improve our service to you....
Today's news that German spirits firm Mast-Jägermeister has joined UK responsible drinking organisation The Portman Group may raise eyebrows in some quarters....
Pernod Ricard's Chivas Brothers unit has launched another extension to its The Glenlivet single malt Scotch brand. ...
Whisk(e)y companies spend a lot of money and effort ageing their products for that premium taste....
- Scotch's Slipping Crown: Convenient for Diageo?
- Comment - Has Scotch Whisky Jumped the Shark?
- Can Beer Learn from Keurig and Nespresso?
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q3 & YTD
- C&C Group 'puzzled' by Spirit Pub Co rejection
- Diageo partner Beckham turned down Beck's deal
- Whisky downturn slows Diageo's Scotch spend
- Mast-Jägermeister targets UK off-trade boost
- EXCLUSIVE - Mast-Jaegermeister, TWE join watchdog
- SABMiller announces management reshuffle
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Wine in the United Kingdom
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review