Blog: Bowled over
Chris Brook-Carter | 1 October 2003
According to Tesco, which will be stocking the wine on its website, "producing wine is a fast growing trend among wine-loving celebrities." Amazingly it appears that buying the stuff is also a fast growing trend - Cliff Richard's wine brand is still Tesco's fastest ever seller.
I can remember finding Paul Newman's face staring back at me from a bottle of salad dressing rather an odd experience when I was a child. However, I suppose his Hollywood sex-symbol status was an ideal marketing tool for those aiming at the housewife market.
But quite who is persuaded to buy wine by the mugs of Shane Warne or Olivia Newton-John, let alone Botham and Willis is, I will admit, a mystery to me.
And if you were in any doubt about the nature of this whole project, I give you David Clements of Tesco.com, whose quote in the press release sums up this sorry affair.
"We were hit for six when we heard that Botham and Willis - once the scourge of the Aussies - had produced a range of Australian wines, but when we tried them we were bowled over."
On top of this, the owners have seen fit to abbreviate Botham Merrill Willis Wines to BMW - pure class.
Knowledge is power, or so they claim. So, with that in mind, here's an infographic, courtesy of Australian company Hangover Revivol, that breaks down exactly what is behind the common hangover....
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring William Grant & Sons, the Southern hemisphere's winemakers, SABMiller and Heineken, and Coke Light....
How many beer mugs can one man carry? ...
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring Pernod Ricard, The Coca-Cola Co, SABMiller's new Scotch whisky and Santa Rita Estates....
- Comment - Heineken's 'No' Cuts SABMiller Options
- Irish whiskey eyes a slice of Scotch's global pie
- Scottish Independence and Scotch Whisky
- SABMiller spurned by Heineken: The start of the en
- Can the New World Learn a Lesson from the Old?
- Patron Spirits' Patron Citrónge Lime
- Heineken rejects SABMiller purchase proposal
- Diageo's Special Releases 2014
- Wm Grant CMO to head Orangina Scweppes Int'l
- LIVE BLOG: Industry responds to Scotland 'No' vote