Blog: Bowled over
Chris Brook-Carter | 1 October 2003
According to Tesco, which will be stocking the wine on its website, "producing wine is a fast growing trend among wine-loving celebrities." Amazingly it appears that buying the stuff is also a fast growing trend - Cliff Richard's wine brand is still Tesco's fastest ever seller.
I can remember finding Paul Newman's face staring back at me from a bottle of salad dressing rather an odd experience when I was a child. However, I suppose his Hollywood sex-symbol status was an ideal marketing tool for those aiming at the housewife market.
But quite who is persuaded to buy wine by the mugs of Shane Warne or Olivia Newton-John, let alone Botham and Willis is, I will admit, a mystery to me.
And if you were in any doubt about the nature of this whole project, I give you David Clements of Tesco.com, whose quote in the press release sums up this sorry affair.
"We were hit for six when we heard that Botham and Willis - once the scourge of the Aussies - had produced a range of Australian wines, but when we tried them we were bowled over."
On top of this, the owners have seen fit to abbreviate Botham Merrill Willis Wines to BMW - pure class.
Some people in India believe alcohol should be more difficult to purchase. Last month, the state of Bihar halted all alcohol sales as its chief minister made good on an election promise. ...
Greetings from Zurich. Here as a guest of Heineken's Amstel brand, I'm due to sit down later today with the group's senior global director for international brands, Walter Drenth....
Drinks companies spend a lot of money on trying to predict trends. At last night's Worshipful Company of Distillers City debate, any strategists in the audience got a bit of forecasting for free....
I'll admit to being partial to an Aperol Spritz now and again, more usually in the summer months, sitting outside, shades on, slowly turning more golden/rusty....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Category Trends - Scotch Whisky V
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Diageo's Smirnoff Red, White & Berry - NPD
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends