Blog: Bowled over
Chris Brook-Carter | 1 October 2003
According to Tesco, which will be stocking the wine on its website, "producing wine is a fast growing trend among wine-loving celebrities." Amazingly it appears that buying the stuff is also a fast growing trend - Cliff Richard's wine brand is still Tesco's fastest ever seller.
I can remember finding Paul Newman's face staring back at me from a bottle of salad dressing rather an odd experience when I was a child. However, I suppose his Hollywood sex-symbol status was an ideal marketing tool for those aiming at the housewife market.
But quite who is persuaded to buy wine by the mugs of Shane Warne or Olivia Newton-John, let alone Botham and Willis is, I will admit, a mystery to me.
And if you were in any doubt about the nature of this whole project, I give you David Clements of Tesco.com, whose quote in the press release sums up this sorry affair.
"We were hit for six when we heard that Botham and Willis - once the scourge of the Aussies - had produced a range of Australian wines, but when we tried them we were bowled over."
On top of this, the owners have seen fit to abbreviate Botham Merrill Willis Wines to BMW - pure class.
The Coca-Cola Co has had its fair share of critics this year, from health campaigners to investor David Winters, who this week called for CEO Muhtar Kent to be replaced....
The UK health lobby is always very vocal on alcohol at this time of year, predictably so, and this year is no different. ...
“Ah, yes, you've hit upon a very sensitive area,” says Thomas, my guide at the Carlsberg Brewery in Copenhagen last Friday....
Experimentation has long been a watchword in the Scotch whisky industry. It is what has given consumers the huge range of ageing options, from refill hogsheads to virgin oak to Sherry butts....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Sustainability in Wine - Part II
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Bacardi, Pernod Ricard welcome US-Cuba deal
- Coca-Cola Co promotes CEO's assistant to sales job
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018