Blog: Bowled over
Chris Brook-Carter | 1 October 2003
According to Tesco, which will be stocking the wine on its website, "producing wine is a fast growing trend among wine-loving celebrities." Amazingly it appears that buying the stuff is also a fast growing trend - Cliff Richard's wine brand is still Tesco's fastest ever seller.
I can remember finding Paul Newman's face staring back at me from a bottle of salad dressing rather an odd experience when I was a child. However, I suppose his Hollywood sex-symbol status was an ideal marketing tool for those aiming at the housewife market.
But quite who is persuaded to buy wine by the mugs of Shane Warne or Olivia Newton-John, let alone Botham and Willis is, I will admit, a mystery to me.
And if you were in any doubt about the nature of this whole project, I give you David Clements of Tesco.com, whose quote in the press release sums up this sorry affair.
"We were hit for six when we heard that Botham and Willis - once the scourge of the Aussies - had produced a range of Australian wines, but when we tried them we were bowled over."
On top of this, the owners have seen fit to abbreviate Botham Merrill Willis Wines to BMW - pure class.
Do you have a water source in your garden? By which, I mean a spring, rather than an outside tap....
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring PepsiCo and Coca-Cola Co, Castel, Molson Coors and the cachaca sector....
There was a big focus on supermarkets and their Scotch offerings this week when a couple of own-brand malts scooped top awards at the International Wines and Spirits Competition (IWSC)....
You can't seem to move at the moment for news of US craft brewers expanding....
- just The Preview - Diageo's FY preliminaries
- Analysis - SABMiller's Australian issues continue
- Comment - Beer - What’s in a (Brand) Name?
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's H1 & Q2
- NPD: Alcohol Beverage “Mash-Ups” Fuel Innovation
- ASA bans Jägermeister TV ad
- Diageo silent over Shuijingfang writedown report
- Diageo boosts exec committee
- Britvic promotes GB marketing head to global post
- PepsiCo appoints W Europe, S Africa Tropicana GM