Blog: Bottled water sector scores own-goal?
Chris Mercer | 24 June 2011
What is it that they say the road to Hell is paved with? In my opinion, The International Bottled Water Association (IBWA) could be about to test this theory.
The IBWA has produced a Youtube video that, in its own words, "dispels a myth repeated by some anti-bottled water activists that bottled water which comes from municipal water sources is just tap water in a bottle".
I don't wish to be overly harsh, but I think the industry will find that this perception stretches a little further than a handful of "anti-bottled water activists". Anyone remember The Coca-Cola Co's withdrawal of Dasani in the UK a few years back? The brand has never recovered, even though it sells in other countries.
In any case, I digress. It is understandable that the IBWA wants to show consumers that there is not merely an army of workers dutifully filling bottles from the public water tap in the local park.
However, where this video succeeds, it also fails. To my mind, the whole point about bottled water is that it is perceived to be a 'natural' product.
Isn't filming the inside of a bottled water factory going to open a whole fresh can of worms? How many pipes can you see in any one freeze-frame of the Youtube video? More than the average bottled water consumer would be happy with, I'll wager.
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
It's not even available on pre-order yet, but Apple's latest piece of kit has already got a breathalyser app....
just-drinks is now closed for the Easter weekend....
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Diet Coke "a work in progress" in US - Coca-Cola
- Heineken seeks "clarity" in Indonesia
- Is Coca-Cola Co “back on track” after brighter Q1?
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard unveils new Absolut bottle
- Diageo's United Spirits calls on Mallya to quit
- Beam Suntory to strip down regional units
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets