Blog: Bottled water sector scores own-goal?
Chris Mercer | 24 June 2011
What is it that they say the road to Hell is paved with? In my opinion, The International Bottled Water Association (IBWA) could be about to test this theory.
The IBWA has produced a Youtube video that, in its own words, "dispels a myth repeated by some anti-bottled water activists that bottled water which comes from municipal water sources is just tap water in a bottle".
I don't wish to be overly harsh, but I think the industry will find that this perception stretches a little further than a handful of "anti-bottled water activists". Anyone remember The Coca-Cola Co's withdrawal of Dasani in the UK a few years back? The brand has never recovered, even though it sells in other countries.
In any case, I digress. It is understandable that the IBWA wants to show consumers that there is not merely an army of workers dutifully filling bottles from the public water tap in the local park.
However, where this video succeeds, it also fails. To my mind, the whole point about bottled water is that it is perceived to be a 'natural' product.
Isn't filming the inside of a bottled water factory going to open a whole fresh can of worms? How many pipes can you see in any one freeze-frame of the Youtube video? More than the average bottled water consumer would be happy with, I'll wager.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits