Blog: Bottled water sector scores own-goal?
Chris Mercer | 24 June 2011
What is it that they say the road to Hell is paved with? In my opinion, The International Bottled Water Association (IBWA) could be about to test this theory.
The IBWA has produced a Youtube video that, in its own words, "dispels a myth repeated by some anti-bottled water activists that bottled water which comes from municipal water sources is just tap water in a bottle".
I don't wish to be overly harsh, but I think the industry will find that this perception stretches a little further than a handful of "anti-bottled water activists". Anyone remember The Coca-Cola Co's withdrawal of Dasani in the UK a few years back? The brand has never recovered, even though it sells in other countries.
In any case, I digress. It is understandable that the IBWA wants to show consumers that there is not merely an army of workers dutifully filling bottles from the public water tap in the local park.
However, where this video succeeds, it also fails. To my mind, the whole point about bottled water is that it is perceived to be a 'natural' product.
Isn't filming the inside of a bottled water factory going to open a whole fresh can of worms? How many pipes can you see in any one freeze-frame of the Youtube video? More than the average bottled water consumer would be happy with, I'll wager.
Forget gluten-free. Fodmaps are the latest food trend, and if you work in the soft drinks industry it is important to know where you stand with them....
Companies are very protective of their brand image. So it is refreshing to hear Diageo's Garbhan O’Bric, the global brand director for Baileys, speak the unvarnished truth when talking about the lique...
Alcohol companies love a good movie tie-in. A brush with Hollywood glamour seems to give marketers the warm and fuzzies, judging by the number of deals done over the past few years. The new James Bond...
just-drinks is in Cannes this week at the Tax Free World Association show. Here's the second part of Andy Morton's blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of the most important dates in the Trave...
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- A game of two halves for Remy Cointreau - Analysis
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- Britvic hits make-or-break time for US Fruit Shoot
- Beam Suntory to sell brandy & sherry to Emperador
- Former Diageo exec joins William Grant in LatAm
- A-B InBev mulls sale of Peroni, Grolsch - report
- Carlsberg "most likely" to buy Grolsch, Peroni
- This week in spirits & wine
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Market 2015-2019
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts