Blog: Bottled water sector scores own-goal?
Chris Mercer | 24 June 2011
What is it that they say the road to Hell is paved with? In my opinion, The International Bottled Water Association (IBWA) could be about to test this theory.
The IBWA has produced a Youtube video that, in its own words, "dispels a myth repeated by some anti-bottled water activists that bottled water which comes from municipal water sources is just tap water in a bottle".
I don't wish to be overly harsh, but I think the industry will find that this perception stretches a little further than a handful of "anti-bottled water activists". Anyone remember The Coca-Cola Co's withdrawal of Dasani in the UK a few years back? The brand has never recovered, even though it sells in other countries.
In any case, I digress. It is understandable that the IBWA wants to show consumers that there is not merely an army of workers dutifully filling bottles from the public water tap in the local park.
However, where this video succeeds, it also fails. To my mind, the whole point about bottled water is that it is perceived to be a 'natural' product.
Isn't filming the inside of a bottled water factory going to open a whole fresh can of worms? How many pipes can you see in any one freeze-frame of the Youtube video? More than the average bottled water consumer would be happy with, I'll wager.
It would appear that the folk at the UK arm of Carlsberg have this year found the 'gimmicky' drawer in the marketing office....
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research