Blog: Bottled water sector scores own-goal?
Chris Mercer | 24 June 2011
What is it that they say the road to Hell is paved with? In my opinion, The International Bottled Water Association (IBWA) could be about to test this theory.
The IBWA has produced a Youtube video that, in its own words, "dispels a myth repeated by some anti-bottled water activists that bottled water which comes from municipal water sources is just tap water in a bottle".
I don't wish to be overly harsh, but I think the industry will find that this perception stretches a little further than a handful of "anti-bottled water activists". Anyone remember The Coca-Cola Co's withdrawal of Dasani in the UK a few years back? The brand has never recovered, even though it sells in other countries.
In any case, I digress. It is understandable that the IBWA wants to show consumers that there is not merely an army of workers dutifully filling bottles from the public water tap in the local park.
However, where this video succeeds, it also fails. To my mind, the whole point about bottled water is that it is perceived to be a 'natural' product.
Isn't filming the inside of a bottled water factory going to open a whole fresh can of worms? How many pipes can you see in any one freeze-frame of the Youtube video? More than the average bottled water consumer would be happy with, I'll wager.
To support the release of its latest report, entitled ‘The Economic Impact of Scotch Whisky Production in the UK’, trade body The Scotch Whisky Association has released this video, highlighting the si...
The Coca-Cola Co is in the middle of a major restructuring plan, affecting jobs around the world. The company is also downsizing its packaging....
One, perhaps minor, consequence of the conflict in Ukraine appears to be a fall in sales of Russian vodka in the country....
Diageo has jumped onboard Google's latest interactive maps and is opening up the virtual doors to four of its distilleries. ...
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Carlsberg freezes Russia salaries, new hires
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research