Blog: Bottled Water - lies, damned lies?
Olly Wehring | 29 July 2009
The trials and tribulations facing the bottled water industry have been well-documented of late. The most recent example comes from Australia, where, earlier this month, the government departments of New South Wales were banned from buying bottled water.
A worse example, in the US this time, has come to light this week, with anti-bottled water group Tappening launching a campaign accusing the industry of out-and-out lying in its marketing.
“Puffery is one thing, but some advertising is simply lies,” said Tappening co-founder, Mark DiMassimo. “We’re not just admitting it up front (in the new campaign), we’re bragging about it.”
The campaign will include a website where anyone can go to 'start their own lie', and can view or download a series of four ads, one of which is pictured below.
The other three ads claim that bottled water makes acid rain fall on playgrounds, is the primary cause of restless leg syndrome, and causes blindness in puppies.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview, Philip Gregan, New Zealand Winegrowers
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Remy Cointreau sets up whisky division
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits