Blog: Bottled Water - lies, damned lies?
Olly Wehring | 29 July 2009
The trials and tribulations facing the bottled water industry have been well-documented of late. The most recent example comes from Australia, where, earlier this month, the government departments of New South Wales were banned from buying bottled water.
A worse example, in the US this time, has come to light this week, with anti-bottled water group Tappening launching a campaign accusing the industry of out-and-out lying in its marketing.
“Puffery is one thing, but some advertising is simply lies,” said Tappening co-founder, Mark DiMassimo. “We’re not just admitting it up front (in the new campaign), we’re bragging about it.”
The campaign will include a website where anyone can go to 'start their own lie', and can view or download a series of four ads, one of which is pictured below.
The other three ads claim that bottled water makes acid rain fall on playgrounds, is the primary cause of restless leg syndrome, and causes blindness in puppies.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Edrington’s The Macallan 40 Year Old - NPD
- Bacardi rolls out new Oakheart rum packs to US
- Seedlip eyes global growth with export deal
- AB InBev fund ZX Ventures buys homebrew co
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends